Shoot the breeze with other Olympians.
FunkMaster
Division: C
State: ME
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Post by FunkMaster » August 4th, 2010, 4:29 pm

That's precicely the way I think. Then, if I do better than my mark, I feel even better about myself!
This is the end of my post.

quizbowl
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by quizbowl » October 17th, 2010, 9:30 am

As a junior this year, I'm starting to think about colleges.
Unfortunately, not many have strong Palaeontology, Geology AND Journalism programs.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

Liv

Post by Liv » October 17th, 2010, 10:04 am

Bard, number one choice.

Untitled
State: CA

Post by Untitled » October 17th, 2010, 2:00 pm

I'm at UC Berkeley right now as a Chem E.
UC Berkeley ChemE 2014

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps » October 17th, 2010, 2:04 pm

quizbowl13 wrote:As a junior this year, I'm starting to think about colleges.
Unfortunately, not many have strong Palaeontology, Geology AND Journalism programs.
Well, to be a paleontologist you need to major in geology (like I plan to) or biology, with courses from the opposite. You can always do your masters and doctorate at a different school than where you got your bachelors. I want to go to Yale for my bachelors, and do my Ph. D. somewhere else.
Since you're also into journalism, I don't know where you should go, but my advice for everyone on the planet is "Shoot for the Ivies!"
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

rocketchicka
State: MI

Post by rocketchicka » October 18th, 2010, 7:07 am

I'm thinking about Lake Superior State University, Central Michigan University and Saginaw Valley State University. I want to either do science or journalism/broadcasting as my major.
2010 Events-State Results:

17th Mission Possible
7th Egg-O-Naut
32nd Technical Problem Solving
18th Remote Sensing

gneissisnice
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by gneissisnice » October 20th, 2010, 7:10 am

paleonaps wrote:
quizbowl13 wrote:As a junior this year, I'm starting to think about colleges.
Well, to be a paleontologist you need to major in geology (like I plan to) or biology, with courses from the opposite. You can always do your masters and doctorate at a different school than where you got your bachelors. I want to go to Yale for my bachelors, and do my Ph. D. somewhere else.
Since you're also into journalism, I don't know where you should go, but my advice for everyone on the planet is "Shoot for the Ivies!"
My advice is the opposite.

Don't stress over the Ivies. Sure, you can have the bragging rights "I'm in HARVARD", but really, it doesn't matter. You can get a great education in a lot more schools, without having to dish out 50,0000 dollars a year. Undergrad doesn't matter enough for that kind of money. You won't learn anything better in an Ivy than you would in, say, a State school. Not that all schools are created equal, because some are just definitely terrible. But you don't need to be in an Ivy. What's it gonna prove? My friend's in Cornell and he's miserable there. Another friend came to visit me from Yale and he conceded that the Stony Brook campus is much nicer than his Ivy League school. So don't get hung up on the Ivies. There are plenty of other schools out there for a fraction of the cost.
2009 events:
Fossils: 1st @ reg. 3rd @ states (stupid dinosaurs...) 5th @ nats.
Dynamic: 1st @ reg. 19thish @ states, 18th @ nats
Herpetology (NOT the study of herpes): NA
Enviro Chem: 39th @ states =(
Cell Bio: 9th @ reg. 18th @ nats
Remote: 6th @ states 3rd @ Nats
Ecology: 5th @ Nats

paleonaps
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by paleonaps » October 20th, 2010, 1:11 pm

While that is true, I do recommend the Ivies for a few reasons:
With the Ivies, it is pretty likely that for any elective you want, you will be able to get a good class.
The name does actually carry weight. You can win a lot of people over if you say "I went to Harvard". It is pretty shallow, but true.
Although not true for most Ivies, there is a lot of cultural experience to be gained from Harvard and Columbia, especially.
Brown University 2017
2009 B Division National Ecology Champion
4 time National Medalist
Farewell Science Olympiad. We will meet again.

quizbowl

Post by quizbowl » October 20th, 2010, 1:15 pm

Ehh, I guess. But wouldn't you agree that those in the Ivy League, and schools of that caliber, would have more nationally recognized programs?
Lets say I end up going to Stony Brook, which is maybe 30 minutes from my house (probably less). No offense Gneissisnice, just choosing a college.
Lets also say that my dream school is Stanford, which is 3000 miles away.
I'm a man of many interests, and I expect college to pave a path for my future, and help me decide what I really want to do in life. I could enroll in a class in Stony Brook, and a similar one in Stanford. I guarantee I would get completely different experiences there, and whichever one occurs will influence my life forevermore.
Also, although cost is a HUGE factor for me, I really dont like New York (no offense New Yorkers) and would rather be on the other side of the country, at least.
2010: 5th in NYS
2011: 4th in NYS
2012: 3rd in NYS
<quizbowl> ey kid ya want some shortbread
<EASTstroudsburg13> I don't know why, but I just can't bring myself to delete this post.

andrewwski
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Post by andrewwski » October 20th, 2010, 1:48 pm

I'd generally concur with gneissisnice.

I looked all over at colleges when I was applying - including three that were ranked in the top 10 for my major (aerospace engineering). Some impressed me. Some did not. All were very expensive. Granted, some were state schools in other states (Michigan, OSU), which tend to be very expensive.

I ended up choosing the University at Buffalo - right around the corner from me - and its program impressed me more than some of the other public and private schools I had looked into.

Name might carry some weight, yes, but only to a certain extent. GPA carries more weight than name - a 3.8 or so at a state school is going to look a lot better than a 3.0 or so at an Ivy League...

Plus, it depends on whether you are going to graduate school. If you're going for a graduate degree, where you went for undergrad is not going to mean a lot - employers will look at your grad school. So going to a state school for a bachelor's and then going to grad school elsewhere makes a lot of sense.

I have friends studying similar things at schools all over the country, and their classes and curriculum is pretty much the same. I'm not of the opinion that they are getting a better education.

I'm not sure what you mean by "for any elective you want, you will be able to get a good class." Can't figure out what you're trying to say.

Return to “General Chat”