Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

EwwPhysics wrote: May 12th, 2020, 1:20 pm
sneepity wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:59 am
BennyTheJett wrote: May 12th, 2020, 11:57 am

I was in this same boat my freshman year, but then I realized that the uni you go to doesn't matter a ton. There are plenty of the same degrees out there, and some "lesser" universities are way cheaper. Do you want to pay extra for the clout of the university? Just something to consider.
That's true. Maybe Ivies are just trying to get money from students because they're Ivies. I still have time to consider though.
Very true. There are some benefits to going to more selective/prestigious universities, but it may not be worth it for the cost (depending on how much scholarship money you get), and you'll get a good education even if you don't get into Harvard. Something else to consider is that these universities are often known for how stressed and busy the students are... maybe it would be better to go somewhere that yes, you'll have to work hard and you'll learn a lot, but not where your mental health will be damaged because of all the work.
We'll have plenty of time to think about all this stuff when we're older, best not to stress about it too much now.
Big facts in this post. Often people feel like they have to attend a prestigious university, and while they're great, they are most certainly not for everyone. Finding a fit from a culture perspective is frequently one of the most underrated parts of a college search, rather than just the quality of the facilities or departments. It's not that you have to get along with everyone at the school, because that's never going to happen, but you want to feel like the culture is at least compatible with your own personality. This is why I always recommend to visit every school you want to apply to. It's better to know that a school feels "off" to you before you apply than after.

And I haven't even touched on cost. There is nothing wrong with going to a cheaper school, and often times public schools have nearly as much name recognition as the traditional elites. Don't get trapped into thinking cost correlates with worth!
These users thanked the author EastStroudsburg13 for the post (total 3):
gz839918 (May 13th, 2020, 6:47 am) • sneepity (May 13th, 2020, 9:26 am) • MadCow2357 (May 13th, 2020, 11:52 am)
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Mathlete13
Division: B
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Where are you going for colleges?

Post by Mathlete13 »

I’m not in high school yet, but I want to go to Duke University for Biomedical Engineering.
2023: 1st in Crimebusters, 2nd in Anatomy and Physiology, 19th in Write It Do It
States 2023: 6th in Crimebusters, 9th in Fast Facts, 19th in Experimental Design, 19th in Anatomy, 23rd in WIDI
2024: 1st in Experimental Design, 1st in Road Scholar, first in Meteorology

Return to “General Chat”