Science Olympiad at Penn Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Science Olympiad at Penn Invitational 2020

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Unome wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am Congratulations to Boca. Strong performance from Ward also. Harriton was... not terrible, but not up to previous standards, I think they're favorite to win state but not by a lot, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see them outside of top ten at Nationals. Why is Clark so low though? They looked perfectly fine at MIT.
Harriton superscored beat lm and Rustin. CV didn't go, but I'm sure that they would place in a simar range.

Ny seems that it'll be ward and Columbia (although syosset is always really close behind). Kellenberg didn't do great but was missing 2 people(?). It'll be close at states.
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
olivia.m19
State: VA

Post by olivia.m19 »

dragonfruit35 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 7:10 am Somehow, this was my last invitational ever???? 😭😭
nooooo why do you have to graduate 😭😭
LOL it looks like my teammates are all early birds, so I agree with everything they said. All in all, I had a good experience at SOUP and would love to come again!!

Sounds of Music (3) I'm pretty happy with the way this event turned out! The device testing was perfect, and the test was of a decent difficulty and covered a good range of topics. I thought it was a tad bit short, but it wasn't like it was a walk in the park to finish in time, so I don't know that I would have changed anything. It definitely gave us a good idea of what we still need to work on, and that's all I ever really ask for from a test! Also, I appreciated that the device testing used an external mic (we ran into issues w the computer mic at regionals). I'd also like to s/o the supervisors bc they were super nice and one of them offered to help me carry my instrument to the room bc it's mega heavy and I kinda have noodle arms :P [9.5/10]

Codebusters (4) UGHH we choked HARD. Majorly disappointed at our performance this time around :( I believe we finished with 2:19 ish? on the timed question, and we blanked on a TON of questions, like @dragonfruit35 said earlier. Regardless, I think the test was a good length, and the questions were (clearly) of an appropriate difficulty. Auditoriums are never an ideal location for this event, but it seems like they're almost inevitable. Needless to say, we're gonna be grinding a lot after this, so here's to reviving the streak! [9/10]

Ping Pong Parachute (38) Big oof. Considering we started this event literally on Thursday, I can't say we had a lot of expectations. That being said, we definitely could've performed much, much better if the parachute actually deployed on the second run (never had that issue before !!) Overall, the venue could've been better, as there was a lot of things rockets could hit, but the rafters were widely spaced enough that it wouldn't really affect you as long as you flew straight or aimed well. Also, having Wright Stuff run right next to it was kinda scary bc it felt like the odds that a rocket would hit a plane were a little too high. Anyways, I appreciated that the ESs let us test off to the side before we went, and it all went mostly smoothly. [8/10]

Overall (6) WOW this was DEFINITELY unexpected. Since we basically formed a new team and started preparing 5 days before the competition, this took me and probably everyone on our team by surprise. I largely enjoyed my first SOUP experiences and hope we'll attend again next year. Things were a little disorganized in some places, and the Gravity Vehicle issue was really disappointing, but all in all, I was happy with the way my events and the tournament were run! Congratulations to Boca, and good luck to everyone for the rest of the season!
2020-21 snrszn lets goooo :-P
SOLVI/CMU/UChicago/Reg
Code: yikes/-/-/- Digital Structures: -/-/-/- Machines: yikes/-/-/- Sounds: yikes/-/-/-

2019-20
CMU/Reg/SOUP/State/Nat
Boomi: 4/4/-/-/- Code: 1/1/4/?/? Sounds: 1/1/3/?/? PPP: -/-/38/?/?
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

sciolyperson1 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am
Unome wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 8:54 am Congratulations to Boca. Strong performance from Ward also. Harriton was... not terrible, but not up to previous standards, I think they're favorite to win state but not by a lot, and I wouldn't be too surprised to see them outside of top ten at Nationals. Why is Clark so low though? They looked perfectly fine at MIT.
Harriton superscored beat lm and Rustin. CV didn't go, but I'm sure that they would place in a simar range.

Ny seems that it'll be ward and Columbia (although syosset is always really close behind). Kellenberg didn't do great but was missing 2 people(?). It'll be close at states.
Agree on NY. I saw the superscores, but that is still not up to Harriton's standard imo.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
BobbyJoe
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by BobbyJoe »

EDIT
Rustin/Wright/Solon/Reg/PA/Nat Div B: '15-17, Div C: '18-
Disease D-
'15: 6/-/-/-/-/-/
'16: -/10/-/-/-/-
Air T-
'15: 2/-/-/-/-/-
Experimental D-
'16: 5/-/-/-/-/-
Mission P-
'16: 1/12/-/1/-/-
'17: 1/5/3/1/2/12
Crime B-
'16: 3/8/-/-/-/-
'17: 1/7/7/3/8/24
Wind P-
'17: 5/3/2/1/1/13
BobbyJoe
State: PA
Has thanked: 0

Post by BobbyJoe »

I talked to a guy from Clark, it seems like they didn't bring their best team.
Rustin/Wright/Solon/Reg/PA/Nat Div B: '15-17, Div C: '18-
Disease D-
'15: 6/-/-/-/-/-/
'16: -/10/-/-/-/-
Air T-
'15: 2/-/-/-/-/-
Experimental D-
'16: 5/-/-/-/-/-
Mission P-
'16: 1/12/-/1/-/-
'17: 1/5/3/1/2/12
Crime B-
'16: 3/8/-/-/-/-
'17: 1/7/7/3/8/24
Wind P-
'17: 5/3/2/1/1/13
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

ChimpLopez wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 6:12 am Protein Modeling(6): The test was fine and asked fair questions. I enjoyed the short answers on the written test portion, and we were able to finish the test with enough time left. Some of the questions on the Jmol exploration were a little easy. Overall a quality test of decent difficulty. 9/10
lol you actually finished the test? we kinda ran out of time and left a whole page blank...
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
sophisSyo
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sophisSyo »

My last ever invitational :cry:
Okay so here are some reviews:
Designer Genes (15): First of all, thank you supervisors for putting up with us lol....we asked to work on the floor and everyone was confused. Concerning the actual test, I really liked the material cover – a solid span of the usual pedigrees, cellular replication, biotechnology etc. I would say my main complaint, but more of a personal one (affecting us), was the style of the test. I know that a narrative test is fun, and perhaps it might help differentiate teams who can really work efficiently, but it was pretty time consuming, especially because we kept throwing test parts at each other. I think it was a good experience for us, because it really pushes the test takers, but take this with a grain of salt: I fail to really see the point of creating a narrative Designer Genes test. I would assume that non-narrative tests are usually fine (you can knock out a lot of ppl with biotech questions) since they are the standard for bio events (I've only ever seen long, full narrative tests for forensics?). 8.5/10
Ornithology (16): Omg thank you so much – whoever came up with making everyone stand on the side without chairs is a genius. Every time I've gone to a comp that did stations for orni, the room was an utter mess after each block because it was hard for people to move from station to station, and everyone dropped stuff. About the test, while I personally appreciated the rest station, I would have rather had an extra station, because we had extra time for the stations where we had the information, which I did not expect for 100 second stations. I'm not sure what the score distribution looked like, but I think that even though the stations are only 100s, more difficult questions/sounds definitely could have been added because I think someone could have full-scored that test. Also, lol at the station that just described five sounds. 7.5/10
Protein Modeling (8; ouch ouch cry): So disregarding our placement because we kinda screwed up, this test was pleasantly more difficult than I expected. I can't speak much for the written test section but I saw some questions (I did the JMol). I liked the JMol section because some invites I've gone to just had ridiculously short JMol sections (like, 10 questions?) and for only one PDB file. Having that webpage was a nice touch. From what I saw of the written test, it was challenging, although I think we just took a complete L on a couple of questions lol. Yeah, I don't really have any major complaints:) 9.5/10
WIDI (11): Yaaaaay this personally made me very happy:) But about the WIDI itself, the last time I did WIDI at SOUP was 3 yr ago (3rd place), and that WIDI was incredibly, incredibly complicated. This WIDI was not really very complicated, and I had no trouble at all finishing early (my partner had a couple pieces left to write in the instructions, but from what I've seen at other competitions and in the past, they could have gone more psycho with the WIDI). My only complaint is maybe that we took some time to set up? But that doesn't matter for doers, does it?:) 8/10

Overall (11): thank you all for a wonderful last Science Olympiad invitational. I don't think it has hit me yet, but this is weirdly significant for me because I've been doing Scioly for so long. This tournament was really crazy for us because we did not have high expectations for ourselves, and everyone passed out right after the tournament so we almost missed the beginning of awards livestreams (very happy and proud of my team :) )I really appreciate how every volunteer tried their best to be accommodating and everyone was friendly and helpful. It has improved so much over the past couple of years. Thank you for your time and effort, and congratulations to all the teams!!!
Past Events: A&P, DD, DG, Exp, Herpe, IS, Orni, PM, WIDI etc.
Former Syosset President/Captain
UVA Student

Ornithology<3
sophisSyo

Post by sophisSyo »

sciolyperson1 wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 10:25 am

Yea NY state is pretty perplexed at the moment. We were missing people as well, so I really am not sure what to make of these rankings lol.
UVA Student

Ornithology<3
sophisSyo

Post by sophisSyo »

MadCow2357 wrote: February 22nd, 2020, 6:48 pm My takeaways:
- North gonna sweep NJ
- Ward gonna sweep NY
- Boca looks terrifying this season
I politely disagree about Ward, not necessarily because they aren't clearly popping off right now (yesss you go!) but because as has been all season, NY teams tend to react to invite results and as a result a lot of changes can happen in these three weeks (from what I've seen for the past 8 years). Honestly, if FM has just been chilling this whole time they might be top 2 at states, it's hard to tell since I don't know if they've been stacking/unstacking/etc. This would not be the first time that happened. I am also reluctant to dismiss Columbia as potential #1 again since they had a sub-100 score last year at states.
UVA Student

Ornithology<3
Name

Post by Name »

sophisSyo wrote: February 23rd, 2020, 12:09 pm we asked to work on the floor and everyone was confused
lmao, I don't understand why procters/other competitors find this so weird, especially in a auditorium like room with those tiny desks. It's so much easier to work on the ground with your partner and you dont have to balance binders/notes/test/other materials. I ended up working on the ground for two of my events, and I find it really helps.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner

Return to “2020 Invitationals”