The University of Texas at Austin Invitational 2019

Area to advertise for your competitions!
svph300
Division: Grad
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: The University of Texas at Austin Invitational 2019

Post by svph300 »

Congratulations to everyone who competed in the ATX Invitational this year! I'm glad to hear that the tournament was well-run (I'm not surprised, with adi1008 heading the competition along with the wonderful volunteers), and I wish I could have physically supervised for this competition. I am the author of the Protein Modeling Exam for Division C, so feel free to email me at [email protected] for any questions or comments! Good luck to everyone for the rest of the season.
viditpok
Been thanked: 0

Post by viditpok »

It was my school's first time attending the UT A Invitational. For both Division B and C, it was a very well run competition, and had great quality tests. We only had two issues with the competition in Division B, which were a scoring error in Reach For The Stars (195 instead of 95) and a confusion in grading for Experimental Design. But otherwise, this competition was high quality, and for a first time competitor, I would definitely recommend other schools to compete in the following years.
Georgia Tech '24
Orlando Science '22

Viditpok's Userpage

2021-22: IAB, Detector, XPD, WiFi
2020-21: Circuit, Machines, Forensics
2019-20: Circuit, Machines, Codebusters
2018-19: Circuit, Fermi, Forensics, Mission Possible
2017-18: Thermo, CB, Hovercraft, Optics
anandymous
Division: C

Post by anandymous »

viditpok wrote: October 28th, 2019, 7:09 am It was my school's first time attending the UT A Invitational. For both Division B and C, it was a very well run competition, and had great quality tests. We only had two issues with the competition in Division B, which were a scoring error in Reach For The Stars (195 instead of 95) and a confusion in grading for Experimental Design. But otherwise, this competition was high quality, and for a first time competitor, I would definitely recommend other schools to compete in the following years.
He means that we got a score of 195, but they put down 95 for us, thus pushing our ranking down a lot
Orlando Science Middle School
2020 Events: Dynamic Planet, Fossils, Meteorology, and Reach For The Stars
dkarkada
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by dkarkada »

Hi everyone! I've put up my data science and astro exams here. Hope this is helpful! Let me know by email if you have any questions.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Statistics from Circuit Lab B/C. The scores were certainly a bit lower than I expected, but I also wasn't overseeing the grading of exams and I typically like to give a fair amount of partial credit (which may or may not have been the case since a clear grading rubric was not made). This test was written for Division C and adapted for Division B, and likely represents the hardest test Division B will see this season. The number of points available was large enough to spread out teams and I am fairly impressed by Jeffrey Trails for scoring exceptionally high and ranking among the Division C teams.
To Division B: Dont let this test scare you, it was very difficult and many of the questions were much more C-oriented. Use this as a representation of the upper limit to test difficulty.
To Division C: This is certainly on the more difficult end of the spectrum, but I promise you will be seeing harder this season ;)

Note: Please direct questions to the appropriate exam writer. There are numbers next to every question denoting who wrote the question and the cover page has all of our emails.
Attachments
C.PNG
C.PNG (15.48 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
BC.PNG
BC.PNG (13.48 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
B.PNG
B.PNG (13.36 KiB) Viewed 4423 times
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
viditpok

Post by viditpok »

When will the tests and keys be posted on the UT Austin Science Olympiad website?
Georgia Tech '24
Orlando Science '22

Viditpok's Userpage

2021-22: IAB, Detector, XPD, WiFi
2020-21: Circuit, Machines, Forensics
2019-20: Circuit, Machines, Codebusters
2018-19: Circuit, Fermi, Forensics, Mission Possible
2017-18: Thermo, CB, Hovercraft, Optics
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

Unome wrote: October 27th, 2019, 6:51 am Kennedy didn't do so great...
Word is they sent four kids and put up that score
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SOPomo wrote: November 9th, 2019, 6:24 pm
Unome wrote: October 27th, 2019, 6:51 am Kennedy didn't do so great...
Word is they sent four kids and put up that score
Whew, that would be impressive.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SOPomo

Post by SOPomo »

Ya, if everyone thought last Nats score was impressive, then as Hamilton says, "just you wait"
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

Hi all,

Here are the tests and photos from the invitational! We'll also be adding unlabeled score distributions to this folder, so be on the lookout for those.

I'd also like to give a long overdue thank you to all of the teams that attended! It was a pleasure to have y'all in Austin and I hope your teams had a memorable and fulfilling experience. We had a couple hiccups (e.g. a couple misgraded tests and awards) but throughout it all, we did our best to deliver a good experience and be as professional as possible.

As always, if you have any suggestions, test reviews, etc., feel free to make a post in this thread or shoot us an email at [email protected]! We're always looking for ways to make our tournaments better and better.
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14

Return to “2020 Invitationals”