The University of Texas at Austin Invitational 2019

Area to advertise for your competitions!
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: FL

Re: The University of Texas at Austin Invitational 2019

Post by windu34 »

Adi1008 wrote:We're lucky to have some extremely good event supervisors who attend UT or are in the Austin area, ranging from experienced alumni to National Event Supervisors themselves.
I would like to second this - UT has ALOT of really experienced alumni. Additionally, Adi1008 has done a really great job of recruiting among his own network of alumni to recruit National medalists from all over the country to author exams for his tournament. I am sure the test quality of UT's invitational will rival many of the best tournaments across the country.
In fact, to further my point, @Adi1008 if you want me to write Circuit Lab B and/or C for your the UT Invite, Asher and I would be happy to.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Riptide
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Has thanked: 0

Post by Riptide »

Adi1008 wrote: many people from other universities are writing tests for our events that will be proctored by volunteers from UT.
:o
UC Berkeley
Seven Lakes High School '19
frostedflakes
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by frostedflakes »

Adi1008 wrote:Glad to hear it! I think you and your team will have a phenomenal experience if you decide to attend.

To answer your question, no, we do not fly in event supervisors like MIT does; however, many people from other universities are writing tests for our events that will be proctored by volunteers from UT. There are a couple reasons for this; allow me to explain the biggest one:

We're lucky to have some extremely good event supervisors who attend UT or are in the Austin area, ranging from experienced alumni to National Event Supervisors themselves. You brought up the MIT Invitational - seven of MIT's event supervisors were students attending UT, the most out of any non-MIT school. Ultimately, we feel as if the money needed to fly out a talented event supervisor (e.g. someone like windu34) is better spent on our outreach activities, which has a much bigger impact on individual teams compared to a slight increase in event quality for a few events.
That's a good point, it's nice to see UT focus so much on outreach in addition to your tournaments. I dug around a bit and found out that the Anatomy event supervisor for MIT also writes the tests for UT's tournaments (didn't realize they were by the same person). I love her tests a lot, looking forward to taking them next year even if I don't come to UT's tournaments, since Anatomy is my favorite event. Thanks for all the help!
Adi1008
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Adi1008 »

frostedflakes wrote:I love her tests a lot, looking forward to taking them next year even if I don't come to UT's tournaments, since Anatomy is my favorite event. Thanks for all the help!
Happy to help! I think you'll be excited to know that she's writing the Anatomy test for both of UT's tournaments this year as well.
windu34 wrote:
Adi1008 wrote:We're lucky to have some extremely good event supervisors who attend UT or are in the Austin area, ranging from experienced alumni to National Event Supervisors themselves.
I would like to second this - UT has ALOT of really experienced alumni. Additionally, Adi1008 has done a really great job of recruiting among his own network of alumni to recruit National medalists from all over the country to author exams for his tournament. I am sure the test quality of UT's invitational will rival many of the best tournaments across the country.
In fact, to further my point, @Adi1008 if you want me to write Circuit Lab B and/or C for your the UT Invite, Asher and I would be happy to.
Thanks for the kind words windu : ) This is my first year of being a tournament director for UT and I'm still learning the ropes, but I hope that we'll be able to put on a good tournament for everyone. For anyone wondering, windu and ashernoel will be working with our Circuit Lab event supervisor from last year (rzhong688) for this year's invitational - I can't wait to see the test they create!

In other news, I'm excited to announce that registration for the invitational will open on Monday, August 5, at 5pm CDT at this link! Over the past year, we listened to coaches and captains from across the state and understand that team budgets are very tight so this year, our competition will be free. However, there will be a $100 fee for any teams that withdraw after October 12, 2019 to ensure that teams admitted off the waitlist have adequate notice in advance and to encourage general commitment to attending our tournament. If you are unable to attend due to extenuating circumstances, then this fee may be waived.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to shoot me a PM or email [email protected].

Edit: registration is OPEN!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Adi1008

Post by Adi1008 »

Registration for the UT Invitational is now closed! I'm pleased to say that we have 61 teams from 4 states (!!) across both divisions, making for our biggest tournament yet. You can find a list of our attending teams here.

If you are interested in attending, fill out our registration form to be added to our waitlist!
Stanford University
University of Texas at Austin '22
Seven Lakes High School '18
Beckendorff Junior High '14
Longivitis

Post by Longivitis »

The addition of the Californian schools are definitely going to spice things up...
University of Texas at Austin '23
Cypress Lakes High School '19

Chemistry Lab, Codebusters, Game On, Science Word, Towers, We've Got Your Number
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Longivitis wrote: September 10th, 2019, 7:42 am The addition of the Californian schools are definitely going to spice things up...
We're out here struggling to find funding for nats every year and theres schools that can send 3 teams to an invitational states away....
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
JoeyC

Post by JoeyC »

We're in state and we can't afford to send a team there, why does Cal have so much money?
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

As a coach I'm very excited for UT Invitational with all these nats level teams coming out. Shame that I won't be able to be there with my students.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

I am very disappointed and frustrated to inform that due to bureaucratic issues with our school district, Kraemer Middle School will not be returning to the UT Invitational for this season. I am outraged by the lack of support that we have seen from our district for our program, and I hope that they reflect on the fact that they are demonstrating a lack of concern for the STEM education of our students.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage

Return to “2020 Invitationals”