University of Michigan Scioly Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: University of Michigan Scioly Invitational 2020

Post by CPScienceDude »

Any results?
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Creationist127
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Chameleon02
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Chameleon02 »

Also interested to hear top wright stuff times despite the pretty hazardous facility
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
2020 Events: Boomilever, Wright Stuff, Protein, Chem lab, Gravvy
The Air Trajectory nostalgia hits hard
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

A few thoughts before I fall asleep for the next day.

First of all, it was a pleasure having everyone on campus today. I really hope everyone had as much fun as we did, and I hope everyone gained something special from the competition.

With gravity vehicle (Canton)... I’m too tired to really look into it right now but I’m 100% sure the event was not misscored this year (because I personally checked). However, your individual score could’ve theoretically been messed up. I’ll try to look into it.

Other than that, seemed like *most* things went pretty smoothly, although there are a few things (uh, the labs) that I wish went smoother. Things to improve for next year!

Hope everyone had a blast. Time for me to sleep... 18 miles of walking on 1.5 hours of sleep has me just about ready to pass out haha.

Edit: oh and Wright stuff. Yeah. Really wish we could find better facilities for that. The university has made it pretty much impossible for three straight years to get somewhere better. But we will keep doing whatever we can to try to get a better room next year.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
pandabear127

Post by pandabear127 »

I heard from a friend who went to the invite this year that the leadership changed...anyone have thoughts on that?
Oblivion

Post by Oblivion »

Will raw scores be released?
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

Oblivion wrote: February 16th, 2020, 6:18 am Will raw scores be released?
I believe the plan is to provide stats and histograms for the events again.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
Chameleon02

Post by Chameleon02 »

Since it's my last year, and I've been competing at Umich since the start, I'll do a recap of events;
Protein Modeling 10th place. (7/10: the test was a little too short, which makes it harder to differentiate teams, but I liked it overall in terms of difficulty. I'd say its on par with some of the other ones like Cornell in terms of difficulty. Maybe a longer computer section?)
Wright Stuff 9th Place. (4/10: They stopped our time mid-flight once our plane crossed a line but we weren't told this would happen or else we would have launched away from there so that kinda stopped us from the medal. Lights were difficult to navigate around as well.
Chem Lab: 36th Place (8/10: Yeah, I don't know what to say here, we got like 95/160 on the test, didn't expect to do this bad but I cant rlly blame anything)
Boomilever: 8th place (9/10). No complaints here, it was one of the most active places all day (seems teams spying on others was rampant lmao but thats allowed in science olympiad)
Gravity Vehicle: 61st place (I'm not going to rate it, but I hope Umich can definitely sort this out).

Canton final ranking: 12th place, but that's with gv. (9th last year, 6th the year before).
In final analysis, my favorite year was the first year of Umich Invite, the experience was very memorable (maybe cuz our team placed the best lol and didn't have any issues). Overall, its still probably our favorite invitational to go to, especially exploring the campus where I plan on attending. Im glad I took home a medal in Boomilever, which in my eyes was one of the most competitive events.
I know they will release histograms but if any team wants to independently exchange times or scores from there it would be great to give an idea of where the competition is at.
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer
bjt4888

Post by bjt4888 »

Chameleon02 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:13 pm Also interested to hear top wright stuff times despite the pretty hazardous facility
The two teams I coach that attended did not fly their real airplanes. Risk of damage was too high.

"Room" was only 34 ft wide in the narrow dimension and was even narrower than that due to chairs and tables against the wall. Many more issues with the room. Hoping that the organizers can win the university over and find better facilities in the future.

To give perspective on the challenges, one of my school's "B" Team posted 35 seconds flying left only (with a toy airplane built quickly on Friday) and got 7th place!

Brian T
Chameleon02

Post by Chameleon02 »

bjt4888 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 11:29 am
Chameleon02 wrote: February 15th, 2020, 6:13 pm Also interested to hear top wright stuff times despite the pretty hazardous facility
The two teams I coach that attended did not fly their real airplanes. Risk of damage was too high.

"Room" was only 34 ft wide in the narrow dimension and was even narrower than that due to chairs and tables against the wall. Many more issues with the room. Hoping that the organizers can win the university over and find better facilities in the future.

To give perspective on the challenges, one of my school's "B" Team posted 35 seconds flying left only (with a toy airplane built quickly on Friday) and got 7th place!

Brian T
Wow lol... we put up a 40-second flight going left only as well, but it got cut short. We weren't scared about any damage to the plane because we were planning on scrapping it after the invite. Also got a 10% deduction on the flight log that we hastily made 5 minutes before the event outside the room. LOL :oops:
Last&SeventhYearSciolyer

Return to “2020 Invitationals”