University of Michigan Scioly Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
MIScioly1
Division: Grad
State: MI
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: University of Michigan Scioly Invitational 2020

Post by MIScioly1 »

We will take a look at doing the flying events at the IM building next year. We’ve avoided it for the past 3 because it’s a 15-20 minute walk, but it might be the best choice at this point.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
bjt4888
Division: C

Post by bjt4888 »

If you are referring to the IM building near the “Hill Dorms”, seems like that would be workable. I think that there’s a footbridge over the main road, if I remember correctly (U of M LSA H 1974-77). The teams walk distances like this between events for States on the MSU campus.

Another thought to assist with this; arrangements could be made with the City to block some of the parking spaces on Church St. as a pick up drop off zone so that parents could drive students part way there. This pick up drop off is the current practice for many teams at States on MSU campus to get to and from from the flying events at East Circle IM.

Thanks for considering this,

Brian T
MIScioly1

Post by MIScioly1 »

bjt4888 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 2:41 pm If you are referring to the IM building near the “Hill Dorms”, seems like that would be workable. I think that there’s a footbridge over the main road, if I remember correctly (U of M LSA H 1974-77). The teams walk distances like this between events for States on the MSU campus.

Another thought to assist with this; arrangements could be made with the City to block some of the parking spaces on Church St. as a pick up drop off zone so that parents could drive students part way there. This pick up drop off is the current practice for many teams at States on MSU campus to get to and from from the flying events at East Circle IM.

Thanks for considering this,

Brian T
Yeah, we’ll be looking at any and all options. The IM Sports building is south of campus by a good bit. The one you’re referring to I think is the Central Campus Recreation Building. Unfortunately, they won’t let us use any spaces.
University of Michigan Science Olympiad Executive Board
blakinator8
State: TX

Post by blakinator8 »

Chameleon02 wrote: February 16th, 2020, 10:34 am Gravity Vehicle: 61st place (I'm not going to rate it, but I hope Umich can definitely sort this out).
Event Supervisor for Gravity Vehicle here. I'm sorry to hear that we mistakenly marked your team as No Show, and that some other teams had similar issues. As a former competitor, I understand your frustration with results like that, and the UMSO team is already making plans to improve the reliability of the event in the future.
Proud member of the Liberal Arts and Science Academy team, 2012-2015
muushuuking
State: IN

Post by muushuuking »

When will raw scores be released?
Vortexx2

Post by Vortexx2 »

Just some thoughts on events...
Gravity Vehicle(11)- Run very well. It was the first tournament I've seen running three teams at a time. However this didn't really help with running the event faster because they only let 1 team go at a time. It also didn't help that we had to wait for Mousetrap people to go. (8/10)

Machines(15)- Also run well. Volunteers were nice and were accommodating to teams. (8/10)

PPP (12)- Event supervisors were really nice. The pumps were disconnected from the launcher though before our run, so we had to take some of our time to set it up. But the volunteers gave us some extra time so it all worked out. The venue sucked though. 22 foot ceiling but it had tables going up 4 feet. The launcher wasn't very consistent. We launched at 35 psi and went 12 feet, then went 40 and blasted into the ceiling, knocking down a ceiling tile. (5/10)

Codebusters (1)- Good test, volunteers were nice. We ripped our papers and the helped us out. Only complaint is that they took soooo long to grade the timed question, which affected some teams that ended up having errors on the timed question. (8/10)
Last edited by Vortexx2 on February 18th, 2020, 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8th grade events: Mission Possible and Hovercraft.
High School: Codebusters, Designer genes, Gravity Vehicle, Mission Possible, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Boomilever, Protein Modeling.

It's been a heck of a ride, vortexx out.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

Vortexx2 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 6:38 am
Machines(15)- Also run well. Volunteers were nice and were accommodating to teams. I wish they would have followed the rules though. (7/10)
Hmm, I didn't notice anything(other than maybe time)? What was against the rules?
Vortexx2 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 6:38 am Codebusters (1)- Good test, volunteers were nice. We ripped our papers and the helped us out. Only complaint is that they took soooo long to grade the timed question, which affected some teams that ended up having errors on the timed question. (8/10)
iirc, I think by the last slot they had it figured out? I believe our person stopped the timer before checking. But I'm not the timed person so I wasn't really paying attention.
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage
Name
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

AlfWeg wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:30 am
Vortexx2 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 6:38 am Codebusters (1)- Good test, volunteers were nice. We ripped our papers and the helped us out. Only complaint is that they took soooo long to grade the timed question, which affected some teams that ended up having errors on the timed question. (8/10)
iirc, I think by the last slot they had it figured out? I believe our person stopped the timer before checking. But I'm not the timed person so I wasn't really paying attention.
I think the issue would be when a team calls time with more then 2 errors. If the checker takes like 20 seconds to check, only to see three errors, they can't give credit. But if the errors are corrected basically instantly afterwards, the checker costed the team 20 seconds of time bonus.
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
Vortexx2

Post by Vortexx2 »

AlfWeg wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:30 am
Hmm, I didn't notice anything(other than maybe time)? What was against the rules?
[/quote]
I thought something was wrong but I just double checked the rules and I was wrong. My post has been edited. Thanks!
Name wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm
I think the issue would be when a team calls time with more then 2 errors. If the checker takes like 20 seconds to check, only to see three errors, they can't give credit. But if the errors are corrected basically instantly afterwards, the checker costed the team 20 seconds of time bonus.
[/quote]
It didn't affect me but yes this is what i was referring to.
8th grade events: Mission Possible and Hovercraft.
High School: Codebusters, Designer genes, Gravity Vehicle, Mission Possible, Machines, Ping Pong Parachute, Boomilever, Protein Modeling.

It's been a heck of a ride, vortexx out.
AlfWeg
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by AlfWeg »

Vortexx2 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:49 pm
AlfWeg wrote: February 18th, 2020, 11:30 am Hmm, I didn't notice anything(other than maybe time)? What was against the rules?
I thought something was wrong but I just double checked the rules and I was wrong. My post has been edited. Thanks!

Cool
Vortexx2 wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:49 pm
Name wrote: February 18th, 2020, 12:08 pm
It didn't affect me but yes this is what i was referring to.
Oh lol nvm then.
Slauson'16 Pio'20 UM'24

AlfWeg's Userpage

Return to “2020 Invitationals”