2020 Princeton Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
ET2020
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020 Princeton Invitational

Post by ET2020 »

Is there a complete score spreadsheet?
Fayetteville Manlius High School
2020 Events: Astronomy, Code, Dynamic, PPP
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

ET2020 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 7:30 pm Is there a complete score spreadsheet?
it would be on avogadro but as of now it's not released yet
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
CrayolaCrayon
State: PA

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 7:33 pm
ET2020 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 7:30 pm Is there a complete score spreadsheet?
it would be on avogadro but as of now it's not released yet
Should be up soon™
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22
jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

Don't usually do event reviews but kinda bored so here we go:

Ping Pong Parachute (5): I think PPP was run pretty well, the launcher wasn't leaky and teams were given time to get their two launches in. This was good because it takes some pressure off when we actually went to launch, but at times it did feel like the event was moving slow. I don't think this ever got to a point where time was an issue though. One notable thing was the updrafts in the room. Apparently, some parachutes would float towards a specific vent which would practically stop the parachute from moving or even push it back up, significantly adding to teams' times, which can be a bit frustrating if your parachute doesn't float to the vent. Obviously, nothing the ES could do about that, so overall run well. (9/10)

Machines (3): Wow, this one was interesting. In my opinion, some of the problems on this test (i.e. the problem concerning a pulley system with 5 masses) were even more difficult than MIT's test a few weeks ago. Additionally, the test was very short, with only 6 MC and 9 FRQs. To me, this made the test a bit frustrating as well, but overall still a well-run event, no issues with the build portion. (8/10)

Codebusters (1): My team was able to get the timed question relatively quickly and got 16/19 of the other questions. There wasn't much noteworthy about the test, but I think it was a good length and had a solid mix of easier and more difficult questions. (10/10)

Circuit Lab (1): The ES of this event was just terrible :lol: just kidding windu34, overall I think this test was pretty similar to the Solon Invitational test from last week in difficulty, having a good mixture of circuit analysis, conceptual, and general knowledge questions. The lab portion went well for us, and was very much focused in problem solving in Lab 1 and general understanding of circuit schematics and logic in Lab 2. The lab wasn't quite as hands on as many labs are, which did play to our strengths, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, which isn't usually the case for me (I'm generally panicking when doing the lab). When I had the chance to briefly talk to the ES after awards, I was a bit to suprised to learn what the margins looked like (there will probably be a post tomorrow from windu34 as he has previously done). Overall, a great test from windu34 and AsherNoel as always. (11/10)
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

jaggie34 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:20 pm Don't usually do event reviews but kinda bored so here we go:

Ping Pong Parachute (5): I think PPP was run pretty well, the launcher wasn't leaky and teams were given time to get their two launches in. This was good because it takes some pressure off when we actually went to launch, but at times it did feel like the event was moving slow. I don't think this ever got to a point where time was an issue though. One notable thing was the updrafts in the room. Apparently, some parachutes would float towards a specific vent which would practically stop the parachute from moving or even push it back up, significantly adding to teams' times, which can be a bit frustrating if your parachute doesn't float to the vent. Obviously, nothing the ES could do about that, so overall run well. (9/10)

Machines (3): Wow, this one was interesting. In my opinion, some of the problems on this test (i.e. the problem concerning a pulley system with 5 masses) were even more difficult than MIT's test a few weeks ago. Additionally, the test was very short, with only 6 MC and 9 FRQs. To me, this made the test a bit frustrating as well, but overall still a well-run event, no issues with the build portion. (8/10)

Codebusters (1): My team was able to get the timed question relatively quickly and got 16/19 of the other questions. There wasn't much noteworthy about the test, but I think it was a good length and had a solid mix of easier and more difficult questions. (10/10)

Circuit Lab (1): The ES of this event was just terrible :lol: just kidding windu34, overall I think this test was pretty similar to the Solon Invitational test from last week in difficulty, having a good mixture of circuit analysis, conceptual, and general knowledge questions. The lab portion went well for us, and was very much focused in problem solving in Lab 1 and general understanding of circuit schematics and logic in Lab 2. The lab wasn't quite as hands on as many labs are, which did play to our strengths, but I thoroughly enjoyed it, which isn't usually the case for me (I'm generally panicking when doing the lab). When I had the chance to briefly talk to the ES after awards, I was a bit to suprised to learn what the margins looked like (there will probably be a post tomorrow from windu34 as he has previously done). Overall, a great test from windu34 and AsherNoel as always. (11/10)
What did you get for the time bonus? We got 6:04 and 15/19.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
pepperonipi
State: FL
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

Detector Building (8): Obviously have to give this event high marks lol. In all actuality, the event was hosted very well (easy, clearly visible LED colors and countdowns until the calibration/testing period was over). I also thought the test was made very well, as it kinda stayed away from more of the circuit sides of things and kept towards what made detector unique, as bernard said himself after the competition, talking to him about it. 10/10

Ornithology (2): I thought for a normal lecture room, the stations were placed in great places. Thankfully they were placed far enough apart and we were given a comfortable amount of time to transfer between stations that transferring stations was not a horrible experience. As for the test... holy nonspecific. Wayyy more than I've really ever seen on a test, which was for sure a surprise. Also, the test using scientific names instead of common names for most ID questions was a little odd. Formatting was not bad at all. 8/10

Data Science (22): Lol... I. got put into this event on Friday evening so my partner and I obv didn't study much before, but the event was basically what it said it would be in the rules. The ES's were nice and understood nothing really mattered in terms of final score. Setup wasn't too bad at first, but then another person realized that whenever we put our exams/answer sheets at the front of the room , there'd be no way for the proctors to understand which computer (where we did the Coding Challenges) belonged to which team... Overall fun event. Pretty sure we got a 0 on the Coding Challenges but it was fun to just have fun with my partner with nothing to lose. 9/10

Overall: Pretty cool tournament! Campus was nice and fun to explore, and the tournament setup was done very well imo. The Jadwin building was a little hard to access, but I get that there's always building restraints at tourneys. Also, nice to see some of the Scioly.org mod fam for the first time! <3
Last edited by pepperonipi on February 9th, 2020, 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by jaggie34 »

builderguy135 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 5:20 am
jaggie34 wrote: February 8th, 2020, 9:20 pm Don't usually do event reviews but kinda bored so here we go:

I believe our time was just below 3 minutes, but I don't know the exact time.
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
It's About Time writer/co-writer: Golden Gate, Georgia States
Ping Pong Parachute co-ES: MIT
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

jaggie34 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 6:40 am

Jeeeez that's good.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Name
State: NY

Post by Name »

builderguy135 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 7:21 am
jaggie34 wrote: February 9th, 2020, 6:40 am
Jeeeez that's good.
was the timed particularly long/difficult?
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

pepperonipi wrote: February 9th, 2020, 6:05 am Data Science (?, not placing): Lol... I. got put into this event on Friday evening so my partner and I obv didn't study much before,
Wow, sounds like your coach needs to do a better job prepping the team for trial events.

Return to “2020 Invitationals”