2020 Yale Invitational

Area to advertise for your competitions!
janinetu
Division: Grad
State: NC
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2020 Yale Invitational

Post by janinetu »

Hey! I hope you all enjoyed the 2020 YUSO tournament. I would really appreciate it if you filled out our tournament feedback form so we know how to improve for next year - I hope to see you all then!

Tournament feedback form: https://forms.gle/k2wwY83zHtgwG8q5A
Yale '22 // Enloe '18
daydreamer0023

Post by daydreamer0023 »

Hi everyone!

Test writer of Ornithology and co-test writer of Forensics here. Both of these tests and the answer keys can be found here. :)
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale." - Marie Curie

Enloe '19 || UNC Chapel Hill '23

See resources I helped create here!
scioly_veteran
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by scioly_veteran »

daydreamer0023 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 5:06 pm Hi everyone!

Test writer of Ornithology and co-test writer of Forensics here. Both of these tests and the answer keys can be found here. :)
Do you know when the full set will be released?
Notable Mentions
2017 SONT: 53rd Write It Do It
2019 Regionals: 14th Place Write It Do It
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

scioly_veteran wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 6:14 pm

im pretty sure the full set is only released to teams. you'll have to trade to get them.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by pb5754 »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 6:42 pm

im pretty sure the full set is only released to teams. you'll have to trade to get them.
I believe the point of his question was when will those teams get access...
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

pb5754[] wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 6:48 pm

oh lol I'm sorry. I think last year it took them 5 days after the comp.
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

-Albert Einstein
janinetu
State: NC

Post by janinetu »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 7:28 pm
pb5754[] wrote: February 3rd, 2020, 6:48 pm

oh lol I'm sorry. I think last year it took them 5 days after the comp.
we're working on releasing them this week!

also, please feel free to leave reviews of events in this thread if you'd like!!
Yale '22 // Enloe '18
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

My review of YUSO 2020:

Sounds of Music (5) - I worked on the test the whole time and my partner did the device testing. As for the test, it was quite interesting and was quite difficult, more so than I expected. The saxophone question gave a clear advantage to those who play it (which was good for me ig but maybe not others). The mc had a good variety of topics and question types which was nice. However, for the frqs, there was an entire section that relied heavily upon a few formulas that we didn't have. I did, however appreciate the combo kinematics/doppler effect question. (8/10)

Protein Modeling (2) - Very well run event. The Jmol wasn't too easy or too hard which was nice. The written test also combined a variety of topics. The test was long enough that we barely finished by the end but it was fine as we weren't bored or super rushed. However, some of the Jmol commands used by previous teams were still visible so the ES should have completely reloaded the Jmol program or used the print command. This didn't really help or hurt us, but it would be beneficial if teams were given a more even playing field in this sense. Otherwise, it was good. (8.5/10)

PPP - Please do not take this as a complaint. I'm really truly sorry about that celing light. I understand that there could have been some issues in obtaining the right venues for these types of events, but it probably would've been better if the event was just thrown out prior. However, I can see that it could have been an unforseen circumstance that something like this would happen. Me and my partner happened to be there while it happened and it was sort of dissapointing that we wouldn't be able to see the fruits of our hard work in the event. Nonetheless, I believe that cancelling the event was the right call both in regards to safety and protecting the venue.

Overall (6) - It takes a lot of work, effort, and planning to run an invitational of this size and quality, and I appreciate that. There were a few hiccups this year, especially with build events, but imo those were dealt with in the best way possible given the circumstances. As mentioned during the awards, the test quality really was better this year. Our team members noticed a significant increase in difficulty this year, and we appreciate that. One little thing is that, during awards, more time should be put in between the announcing of events. Especially because some teams were seated on the balcony, some teams needed a bit of extra time to get down to grab their medals. At the end of the day, this was a little thing and didn't really detract from the experience at all. Another thing is that, in addition to coaches, emails should also be sent to team gmail accounts. As a captain, it was a bit of a burden to keep bothering our coach to ask him to forward emails to us. This would make logistics slightly easier on the teams side.

Maybe I have a bit of bias, but Yale is actually one of my favorite invies to go to, as it's a lot of fun and the campus is beautiful. We had a great time this year as usual, and I can't wait to come back next year! (9.5/10)

-Albert Einstein
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by builderguy135 »

CookiePie1 wrote: February 4th, 2020, 6:54 pm My review of YUSO 2020:

Sounds of Music (5) - I worked on the test the whole time and my partner did the device testing. As for the test, it was quite interesting and was quite difficult, more so than I expected. The saxophone question gave a clear advantage to those who play it (which was good for me ig but maybe not others). The mc had a good variety of topics and question types which was nice. However, for the frqs, there was an entire section that relied heavily upon a few formulas that we didn't have. I did, however appreciate the combo kinematics/doppler effect question. (8/10)

Protein Modeling (2) - Very well run event. The Jmol wasn't too easy or too hard which was nice. The written test also combined a variety of topics. The test was long enough that we barely finished by the end but it was fine as we weren't bored or super rushed. However, some of the Jmol commands used by previous teams were still visible so the ES should have completely reloaded the Jmol program or used the print command. This didn't really help or hurt us, but it would be beneficial if teams were given a more even playing field in this sense. Otherwise, it was good. (8.5/10)

PPP - Please do not take this as a complaint. I'm really truly sorry about that celing light. I understand that there could have been some issues in obtaining the right venues for these types of events, but it probably would've been better if the event was just thrown out prior. However, I can see that it could have been an unforseen circumstance that something like this would happen. Me and my partner happened to be there while it happened and it was sort of dissapointing that we wouldn't be able to see the fruits of our hard work in the event. Nonetheless, I believe that cancelling the event was the right call both in regards to safety and protecting the venue.

Overall (6) - It takes a lot of work, effort, and planning to run an invitational of this size and quality, and I appreciate that. There were a few hiccups this year, especially with build events, but imo those were dealt with in the best way possible given the circumstances. As mentioned during the awards, the test quality really was better this year. Our team members noticed a significant increase in difficulty this year, and we appreciate that. One little thing is that, during awards, more time should be put in between the announcing of events. Especially because some teams were seated on the balcony, some teams needed a bit of extra time to get down to grab their medals. At the end of the day, this was a little thing and didn't really detract from the experience at all. Another thing is that, in addition to coaches, emails should also be sent to team gmail accounts. As a captain, it was a bit of a burden to keep bothering our coach to ask him to forward emails to us. This would make logistics slightly easier on the teams side.

Maybe I have a bit of bias, but Yale is actually one of my favorite invies to go to, as it's a lot of fun and the campus is beautiful. We had a great time this year as usual, and I can't wait to come back next year! (9.5/10)
What happened with PPP?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

builderguy135 wrote: February 4th, 2020, 7:19 pm What happened with PPP?
The event was held in a theatere/lecture hall. There was a team that shot their rocket (an empty soda bottle) at 30 psi towards the celing. They broke the light. And it's so sad because who knows how old those lights are and how they could fix them.

-Albert Einstein

Return to “2020 Invitationals”