Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Post by sciolyperson1 »

lavarball wrote: February 7th, 2020, 6:54 pm Just saw that harriton got what I think is a DQ in protein... isn’t the only way to get that by cheating?doesn't seem like harriton to me.
Soinc website says DQ's are put out for misbehavior and cheating. It would be sad to see a team like Harriton getting caught for cheating...
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: February 7th, 2020, 7:11 pm
lavarball wrote: February 7th, 2020, 6:54 pm Just saw that harriton got what I think is a DQ in protein... isn’t the only way to get that by cheating?doesn't seem like harriton to me.
Soinc website says DQ's are put out for misbehavior and cheating. It would be sad to see a team like Harriton getting caught for cheating...
I mean, with protein modeling, something like this could happen with something as simple as having more than one tab open in the browser that jmol is being used in. Of course, perhaps teams do that by accident and don’t intend to use those tabs for anything. However, from the perspective of an event supervisor, I or someone else would see this and not be so sure as to whether it’s actually unintentional or whether a team would actually be using those extra browser tabs, in which that would definitely be cheating bc it could be suspected as usage of the rest of the internet as a resource. When we notice things like these, we would have to make a judgement call on whether to penalize or not, and in some cases, situations would definitely look suspicious enough where a DQ would be warranted. However, if they do make that decision, they be sure to inform the team of their decision and the reason behind it and such.

TLDR: Sometimes, even if teams don’t intend to cheat, some of their actions may look dubious enough to the event supervisor that they decide they can’t give benefit of the doubt, in which they would make a judgement call to issue a DQ.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
ahan135
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ahan135 »

Is there an answer key for the Chemistry Lab Side B Test?

Return to “2020 Invitationals”