Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
mastersuperfan
Division: C
State: MA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Post by mastersuperfan »

Hi everyone, one of two MIT Sounds of Music event supervisors here (specifically the exam supervisor). Thank you all so much for competing in this (brutal) event; it was great to see everyone and talk with some of you! My co-ES (the build supervisor) competed in Sounds of Music at MIT last year and was there to witness the massive delays that occurred, so our main focus this year was to create a smoothly running setup that would stay on schedule. There were a few hiccups during the day, but overall, we think the event went well.

We do want to apologize for the error in pitch scoring that resulted in placings being changed after the tournament. While the error was present in SOINC's spreadsheet, it was also our responsibility to check the build scores more carefully before awards, and we apologize if your team was significantly affected by this. This was not the fault of MIT Science Olympiad (who did an amazing coordinating everything and ensuring everything was run smoothly), and we hope that this didn't negatively affect your overall enjoyment with the event or the tournament. Ultimately, we are glad that we caught it soon after the tournament rather than later.

A word of caution for all future tournaments: First of all, please make sure that you have re-downloaded the updated Sounds of Music scoresheet (v0.5) from soinc.org/sounds-music-c. Secondly, even though SOINC has updated the spreadsheet, it should NOT be imported into Google Sheets. Using Google Sheets instead of Microsoft Excel causes skipped and invalid pitches to earn full scores, so PLEASE use it in Microsoft Excel only.

That said, here is the exciting stuff: Exams and scores!

2020 MIT Sounds of Music Exams, Keys, and Score Distributions

The high score on each section was:
  • Written Exam: 44/100
  • Aural Exam: 19/30
  • Pitch Test: 35.7/36
  • Overall High Score: 98.89/105
As such, you can calculate your (updated) score according to the following formula:
  • (36/44)(Written Score) + (9/19)(Aural Score) + (36/35.7)(Pitch Score) + Song Score + Log Score + Bonus, or
  • (0.8182)(Written Score) + (0.4737)(Aural Score) + (1.0084)(Pitch Score) + Song Score + Log Score + Bonus.

Written Exam
Most Sounds of Music tests tend to consist of some combination of vocabulary definitions, basic formula usage, and randomly obscure instrument trivia. My objective was to create a test that primarily emphasized conceptual understanding and logical problem-solving, especially with a graphical focus. What the test did well was separate those who had misconceptions about the material from those who truly understood it (a prime example was Problem #1, part a). The downside was that there were many teams who made a lot of the same mistakes, resulting in lots of low scores with a handful of teams breaking away. Many teams scored 0/10 on Problem #1, although there were three teams with perfect scores on that page. There were some pages where many teams did well (Problems #4 and #8) and others where few teams made any headway (Problems #2 and #6). However, every subpart was answered correctly by at least one team, except for #7, part e.

Aside from the questions themselves, the main difficulty was the timing. As much as we would've liked to give more time, we needed to stay strictly on schedule. I tried my best to weight all questions fairly and provide a variety of problems so that teams could use their time to attempt the questions they were most comfortable with. One issue for many teams was spending too much time on problems that they didn't really understand (especially #1 and #2), thus wasting a lot of time for no points in return. Many questions went unattempted by most teams, so in the future, I'll try to be more cognizant about the time it takes for students to think through and answer problems like these.

Later, with MIT exam release, I'll also provide a document of worked solutions and explanations for every question, as well as a breakdown of how credit was awarded. (Note that the answers in the key are often more thorough than what was required to earn full credit.) I tried not to double-jeopardize teams and generally gave credit for later parts if an earlier part was incorrect. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about grading.

Aural Exam
This was definitely what (as expected) caught most teams off-guard. I was a little surprised that no competition (to my knowledge) had done this before, probably for logistical reasons. The questions ranged from basic music terms (Passage #1) to somewhat more involved musical analysis (Passage #2), and finally to straight-up rhythm and pitch transcription à la AP Music Theory (Passage #3). I've provided the audio and the sources of the passages in the folder alongside the exam and key.

Even moreso than the written exam, all students reported that the main difficulty was the timing. Fitting three passages into 7 minutes meant that there were only 15 to 30 seconds between playings, which gave students little time to write down all their answers. Again, this was because we needed to stay strictly on time (aural still fell behind during the first half of the day), although it certainly wouldn't have hurt to cut down the number of questions or passages. Nonetheless, almost every question was answered correctly by at least one team. There were two things that nobody got: (1) the Greek mode of Passage #2 (I received each Greek mode at least three times except for the correct one... I also received answers of "pathos," "Achilles," and "Hercules"), and (2) the very last bass note in Passage #3. (And yes, one team did get the rhythm transcription correct.)

Admittedly, the way we scaled the written and aural exams separately was probably not within the rules, strictly speaking. Originally, I had planned to simply add the written and aural scores together and then scale it to 45 points, but I thought that would weight the aural exam too heavily, especially for teams who did well on it.

Build Testing (sort of)
I wasn't testing builds during the day, but I did witness some issues that were common across a lot of teams. A handful of teams made instruments that were far too quiet to be picked up, even when the microphone was as close as possible. Just because it works with your phone or with the microphone you own at home doesn't mean that every mic can pick it up if it's still faint as heck.

A surprising number of teams lost one or more points on their log—make sure that your log clearly and unambiguously meets ALL of the required criteria. The Sounds of Music Event Supervisor Guide on https://www.soinc.org/sounds-music-c might give you a better idea of what supervisors are looking for.

In addition, only a small handful of teams were able to land the bonus pitch. Getting within 3 cents in one try proved to be very hard.

If you have any further questions on build testing, you can reach out to my co-supervisor or our head volunteer (both of whom were testing builds) using the email addresses listed on the Event Guide.

Conclusion
That's all for now. We put a lot of time into planning this event and ensuring it would run smoothly, and we hope you all enjoyed it as much as we did! Supervising at MIT was a fantastic experience, and I would highly recommend that any Division C graduate consider applying in the future if you're interested. If you have questions or feedback, feel free to contact us via the email addresses on the Event Guide—we're always down to chat.
2020 MIT Sounds of Music Event Co-Supervisor
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School '19
2019 Nationals: 1st Anatomy and Physiology, 1st Designer Genes, 2nd Chemistry Lab, 2nd Sounds of Music, 3rd Forensics
2018 Nationals: 1st Chemistry Lab, 6th Forensics, 8th Herpetology, 9th Anatomy and Physiology
reefownage

Post by reefownage »

Hi all,

We'd love your feedback regarding any aspect of the tournament.

Please fill out the form here: https://forms.gle/o6c3b986SVG8sKSL9 to give us feedback!

If you have any questions, feel free to pm this account.

Thank you all!
primitivepolonium
Division: Grad
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

MIT SciOly just posted all of their exams and stuff. https://scioly.mit.edu/results
Div D! I really like chem, oceanography, and nail polish--not in that order.

Troy HS, co2016.

Feel free to PM me about SciOly or college or whatever! I really enjoy making online friends.
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

primitivepolonium wrote: February 1st, 2020, 7:47 pm MIT SciOly just posted all of their exams and stuff. https://scioly.mit.edu/results
Will top scores be released like last year?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

Event Supervisor Review: Boomilever

Tiers: Out of 66 registered teams, 60 presented devices of which 36 were in Tier 1, 14 were in Tier 2, and 10 were in Tier 3. As far as I'm aware, all devices in Tier 2 only had construction violations, with almost all devices breaking the Contact Width Lines rule (3.d.); most were build as if teams weren't aware of the rule (touching well between the lines) and only a few were devices build so close to 8.0 cm that unfortunately touched the lines on our setup. A handful of devices landed in Tier 3 because the competitors broke their own devices while mounting.

Scores: The winning score was 1998.0, tied between New Trier and Troy; both teams estimated holding full load, had masses 10.01 g, and ended up holding all 15 kg. Tier 1 scores ranged from ~100-2000, Tier 2 scores ranged from ~160-1650, and Tier 3 scores were all 0. Masses of Boomilevers ranged from 7.31 g to 36.81 g. Six teams supported all 15 kg; two teams were very close (within ~250 g) to holding full load, one of which would have won the event had it earned the bonus.

Observations: 1. Many teams did not use the Bucket Stabilizing Sticks correctly: only the tips are allowed to contact the bucket (4.f.); teams incorrectly using the sticks were instructed on correct usage and none were penalized. 2. While only a few teams were penalized for this, it bears repeating that building too close to minimum or maximum specifications is a risky gamble. An 8.1 cm vs. 8.0 cm gap probably won't change your efficiency much, but the risk of a construction violation can change your rank by a lot.

boomilever-c_scores.png
boomilever-c_scores.png (43.7 KiB) Viewed 3662 times
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

Does anyone have raw scores for Dynamic Planet? Just curious.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Figure if everyone else is doing it I might as well. Here's the graph of scores for Geologic Mapping:
GeologicMappingScoresGraph.png
GeologicMappingScoresGraph.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 3514 times
I was pleasantly surprised to have a nice score distribution, especially in having a lot of teams do pretty well. The biggest difficulties for teams tended to be the math and map interpretation sections, which is basically what I expected - few teams scored well across all of those. The lack of multiple choice did what I wanted it to do - far fewer teams were skipping sections, even in the middle of the pack.

I would say the test was overall slightly harder than last year because of no MC but the content was definitely easier. In particular, I didn't write any difficult math problems like last year, sticking to the basics of stratigraphic math. Increasing the point values of the math a bit did help, since there weren't as many teams skipping it.

I was quite surprised that no teams got anything resembling accurate subsurface geology of the first cross-section - it wasn't an easy problem, certainly, but it seems like no one knows how to interpret the signs of folds on the surface or compare outcrops to contour lines to determine orientations. Not that I knew how to do this when I competed either...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
JZhang1
State: NY

Post by JZhang1 »

Anybody know how I can contact the ES for Machines? Or have the raw scores.
Ward Melville High School -> Princeton University
lavarball
State: PA

Post by lavarball »

Just saw that harriton got what I think is a DQ in protein... isn’t the only way to get that by cheating?doesn't seem like harriton to me.
Eagle View MS 2014-2017
Cumberland Valley HS 2017-2020
Penn State University 2020-2024
MacintoshJosh
State: VA

Post by MacintoshJosh »

Yeah I agree. I'm almost positive Harriton brought a team of freshman or something.

Return to “2020 Invitationals”