Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Post by pikachu4919 »

SilverBreeze wrote: January 27th, 2020, 1:08 am About the Forensics test(5): I really loved the difficulty and breadth of the questions(gives us lab-impaired people something to do), and the length of the test kept us busy the whole block and would have taken many hours and much effort to write.
But...
I wish the test had been a bit more on-spec(minor issues with a mixture; it was an interesting challenge though, however frustrating) and asked a bit less physics(though that's probably my fault for being unprepared).
We were so rushed that we only realized the bottle labeled "NaOH" was HCl at the end when it turned pH paper red and fizzed in a sample, but I understand Forensics takes an immense amount of time and effort to set up(especially with this test, which had, for example, real fibers, plastics, and chromatography) and that mistakes do happen. The bottle labeled "HCl" was indeed HCl, though. I wish we had figured it out earlier, but things could have gone worse, and I was very satisfied with the way the event had been set up and run overall.
Hi, one of the Forensics supervisors here.

The mixture is a classic bonus challenge that we put in, so it's entirely optional and up to teams on whether they want to attempt it or not. Usually when we do it tho, we make sure to make the powders involved extremely easy to differentiate between each other. An example would be using cornstarch, sodium carbonate, and ammonium chloride. All three can be separated by turning black in iodine, having a massively high pH, and turning dark blue with addition of Benedicts, respectively. Yeah...it's technically against the rules, but that's why we make it optional.

One of the other supervisors was the one who added the physics questions, and in my opinion, they were definitely incredible and great behind-the-scenes looks at how things in the SciOly Forensics world work. For example, knowing how mass spec works definitely can increase your understanding of how to tackle mass spec based problems later on. We recognize it's something beyond what people normally study to prepare for this event, especially if you cater to the national supervisor's style, but we generally hope to deepen competitors' understandings of these things since there's so much behind them that often gets overlooked by writers.

About the reagents: we were equally as surprised as you at that. We indeed tested your bottle with baking soda after you left since it was the actual very end of the day and literally everyone had gone. It fizzed. We then grabbed all the other bottles labeled as "NaOH" and tested them too. They all fizzed as well. We then grabbed the stock solution that was labeled as "NaOH," which was a bottle where the original label was "HCl" but that had been crossed out and "NaOH" had been written there instead. We poured some of that stock solution on baking soda, and it indeed fizzed. More or less after you brought that up to us, we discovered that the stock solution that we were supposedly preparing "NaOH" from was actually HCl. We never anticipated that coming, to be quite honest. We trusted that the label on the bottle of stock solution accurately reflected the contents it contained, and unfortunately, it didn't, which really, really surprised and frustrated us.

Since that was discovered at the very end of the day, all the teams had been affected by it. As unfortunate as that mistake was, it at least had a consistent impact on everyone. In addition, we threw the powder IDs for specific powders for which NaOH was critical to the identification completely out of the scores, so no one got points for those IDs, even if they got it correct. Only one powder fell under this circumstance though, so none of the scores were severely impacted by the decision.

We apologize that it happened, and we will be extra careful to make sure something like this never happens again. Thank you for the compliments tho - we greatly appreciate your feedback since it helps us continue to evolve our event supervisor practices and to improve our preparation process.

If anyone else has feedback, whether positive or negative, for us, our emails are on your answer sheet, and feel free to contact us!
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
terence.tan
Division: C
State: NY
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by terence.tan »

Are the tests going to be publicly released?
2017 events: Electric Vehicle, Game On, Robot Arm
2018 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Game On, Mission Possible, ExpD, Duct Tape Challenge
2019 events: Mouse Trap Vehicle, Sounds of Music, Mission Possible, ExpD, Wright Stuff, WIDI
2020 events: Gravity Vehicle. ExpD, WIDI, Sounds of Music, Machines
antoine_ego
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: MA

Post by antoine_ego »

Updated MIT Team Rankings:
1. Troy High School A (133)
2. Seven Lakes High School A (162)
3. West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North A (231)
4. William G. Enloe High School (269)
5. Boca Raton Community High School A (273)
6. Liberal Arts and Science Academy (317)
7. West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South A (323)
8. Mason High School A (331)
9. New Trier High School A (346)
10. William P. Clements High School (360)

Sounds of Music had some scoring changes. More information can be found on the MIT site.
Rest in Peace Len Joeris
[b]2016 Air Trajectory Nationals - 3rd
2018 Hovercraft Nationals - 6th
2018 Mousetrap Nationals - 6th
2018 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
2019 Astronomy Nationals - 3rd!
2019 Nationals - Team 9th Place!
[/b]
Acton-Boxborough Regional High School Captain 17-19
MacintoshJosh
State: VA

Post by MacintoshJosh »

Does this mean other competitions that have used this scoresheet may have been impacted?
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by pb5754 »

MacintoshJosh wrote: January 27th, 2020, 6:36 pm Does this mean other competitions that have used this scoresheet may have been impacted?
Yes (as is stated on the MIT website).
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

antoine_ego wrote: January 27th, 2020, 5:42 pm Updated MIT Team Rankings:
1. Troy High School A (133)
2. Seven Lakes High School A (162)
3. West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North A (231)
4. William G. Enloe High School (269)
5. Boca Raton Community High School A (273)
6. Liberal Arts and Science Academy (317)
7. West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South A (323)
8. Mason High School A (331)
9. New Trier High School A (346)
10. William P. Clements High School (360)

Sounds of Music had some scoring changes. More information can be found on the MIT site.
ugh I'm so annoyed I didn't catch this in testing... wait I didn't look at the physics ones this year, that was last year...
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
karaorevillo

Post by karaorevillo »

bromothymol wrote: January 26th, 2020, 1:33 pm Anatomy (15): a difficult, well-written test on bones, skin, and muscles! the questions were made to force you to go beyond what you've memmed which I appreciated. good balance of different topics. multiple-select questions were all or nothing, which was just wonderful

Botany (2): we were anticipating for the test to be a lot longer and cover a lot more content. instead the test writer seems to be an enthusiast of potato development and hydroponics. why. plants are fun though. hope to see it as a trial again next year!

Designer (7): as expected, a time crunch with an emphasis on problem-solving. the event supervisors actually gave us 55 minutes and even with that we weren't able to complete the test lol. if I had one item of criticism it might be that the focus on problem-solving came at the expense of not as much molecular genetics? might just be that I spent a lot more time on the problem-solving so it weighs more heavily in my memory now though. good test pogba

Disease (9): this isn't one of my main events but the test definitely kept us busy writing for the whole time. I enjoyed the wide breadth of topics covered but it kinda sucked that the tables were so tiny for holding so many pages of test

XD (1): not much to say except that it was nice to see a topic that hasn't been beaten to death. event was run smoothly and we were given 5 extra minutes for cleanup at the end which was appreciated. the smell of the barbecue sauce and ketchup though, please never again

overall a very fun experience, met some cool people, took some hard tests, went to a boba shop that looked and felt like a cursed image 10/10
hi! what was your total score on ex-des?
Clark Science Olympiad (NV)
bromothymol
State: NJ

Post by bromothymol »

karaorevillo wrote: January 27th, 2020, 8:34 pm hi! what was your total score on ex-des?
pmed you c:

edit: bc the formatting bothered me
Last edited by bromothymol on January 30th, 2020, 9:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

Watching our school's (T)LMMM meme appear on the awards ceremony slideshow was amazing.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Name
State: NY
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Name »

SilverBreeze wrote: January 27th, 2020, 9:32 pm Watching our school's (T)LMMM meme appear on the awards ceremony slideshow was amazing.
anyone have pics of the memes featured? the stream quality was kinda terrible
South Woods MS, Syosset HS '21
BirdSO TD/ES
Past Events: Microbe, Invasive, Matsci, Fermi, Astro, Code, Fossils
1st place MIT Codebusters 2019-2020
1st place NYS Fermi Questions (2019), Astronomy and Codebusters (2021)
Science Olympiad Founder's Scholarship winner

Return to “2020 Invitationals”