Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Area to advertise for your competitions!
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Re: Science Olympiad at MIT Invitational 2020

Post by MadCow2357 »

xiangyu wrote: January 26th, 2020, 3:29 pm Anyone know the Wright Stuff and Boomilever Top Scores?
Not sure about Wright Stuff, but I have some Boomi scores:
First and second had a complete tie (Troy and New Trier). Both scored 1998.002 and predicted full load.

Fourth was 1824.82

Hope this helps!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by xiangyu »

MadCow2357 wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:13 pm
xiangyu wrote: January 26th, 2020, 3:29 pm Anyone know the Wright Stuff and Boomilever Top Scores?
First and second had a complete tie (Troy and New Trier). Both scored 1998.002 and predicted full load.

Fourth was 1824.82

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I still think it's pretty crazy that the top 2 teams had exactly the same weight boomilever. Also can't help but think if one of them regret not sanding their device a tad bit more...
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

xiangyu wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:16 pm

Fourth was 1824.82

Hope this helps!
Thanks! I still think it's pretty crazy that the top 2 teams had exactly the same weight boomilever. Also can't help but think if one of them regret not sanding their device a tad bit more...
Heh, I remember being in the middle of score counseling and I hear that conversation happening off to my side... as far as I'm aware, the last time this happened was 2012 Nationals in Towers, Div C 6th place.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Lorant
State: FL

Post by Lorant »

Fourth was 1824.82

Hope this helps!
Does anyone know if Troy and/or New Trier ended up holding full load? I was third with around 1896 pts, by the way, holding just barely below full load. :x
I build. A lot.
Boca Raton High School.
Events: Boomi, Gravity Vehicle, Wright Stuff.
Incomplete Userpage
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

Lorant wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Fourth was 1824.82

Hope this helps!
Does anyone know if Troy and/or New Trier ended up holding full load? I was third with around 1896 pts, by the way, holding just barely below full load. :x
I heard both weighed 10.01 and held full load, making the score 1998.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard »

I know the Boomilever top scores! I'll share some details in a later post.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

builderguy135 wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:53 pm I heard both weighed 10.01 and held full load, making the score 1998.
This is correct
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: RI

Post by MadCow2357 »

Lorant wrote: January 26th, 2020, 6:38 pm

Fourth was 1824.82

Hope this helps!
Congratulations on your impressive score! Full load from you would have mopped the floor with the rest of the competition!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

About the Forensics test(5): I really loved the difficulty and breadth of the questions(gives us lab-impaired people something to do), and the length of the test kept us busy the whole block and would have taken many hours and much effort to write.
But...
I wish the test had been a bit more on-spec(minor issues with a mixture; it was an interesting challenge though, however frustrating) and asked a bit less physics(though that's probably my fault for being unprepared).
We were so rushed that we only realized the bottle labeled "NaOH" was HCl at the end when it turned pH paper red and fizzed in a sample, but I understand Forensics takes an immense amount of time and effort to set up(especially with this test, which had, for example, real fibers, plastics, and chromatography) and that mistakes do happen. The bottle labeled "HCl" was indeed HCl, though. I wish we had figured it out earlier, but things could have gone worse, and I was very satisfied with the way the event had been set up and run overall.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
shrewdPanther46
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by shrewdPanther46 »

SilverBreeze wrote: About the Forensics test(5): I really loved the difficulty and breadth of the questions(gives us lab-impaired people something to do), and the length of the test kept us busy the whole block and would have taken many hours and much effort to write.
But...
I wish the test had been a bit more on-spec(minor issues with a mixture; it was an interesting challenge though, however frustrating) and asked a bit less physics(though that's probably my fault for being unprepared).
We were so rushed that we only realized the bottle labeled "NaOH" was HCl at the end when it turned pH paper red and fizzed in a sample, but I understand Forensics takes an immense amount of time and effort to set up(especially with this test, which had, for example, real fibers, plastics, and chromatography) and that mistakes do happen. The bottle labeled "HCl" was indeed HCl, though. I wish we had figured it out earlier, but things could have gone worse, and I was very satisfied with the way the event had been set up and run overall.
The test was cool as expected. I agree with the things you said above. I don't remember there being any physics tho... the only question that could be classified as physics would be the photometry energy calculation, but they pretty much told us the answers. As long as you kept your units straight, it should have been easy points.

Note: I didn't actually get to look at my tests yet
Edit: my partner and I completely skipped the mass spec section and didn't even look at it, from reading Pikachu's post, looks like thats where the physics was
Last edited by shrewdPanther46 on January 27th, 2020, 7:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “2020 Invitationals”