New York 2020

BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: New York 2020

Post by BennyTheJett »

Yeah... We are going to have to abort mission. I have been informed that our operation is indeed illegal, so I will obviously not be partaking in it. Sorry to get everyone's hopes up.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:20 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:17 pm I think that people are signed up for events they understand. At the end of the day we should be just fine without a true "most qualified". The tests are merely for our entertainment, so I'm not all that concerned with who's most qualified, rather what the product is. Everyone can contribute, some just more than others. I like the idea of the discord.
The quality of an SO test significantly affects the placement of teams, bad tests mean teams are either bunched up near 100%/0% or placement has nothing to do with actual skill. I think a lot of teams would appreciate an idea of how well they'd do at states, and besides, good, hard tests are WAY more fun than tests clearly written by someone with little experience with SO.

(For example, a "bad" test would have questions not applicable to the event, or incorrect answer key, or be so easy that nearly everyone has a perfect score. A "good" test would have a nearly even score distribution and cover a wide area of topics.)

Keep in mind that qualifications don't correlate with test quality, an EE might know his stuff really well but still make a bad circuit lab test, and a div C student might write an incredibly comprehensive circuit lab test but have few qualifications. That's why I think grading the tests before hand is a better idea.
I agree with the qualifications part, but I don't think people would appreciate writing a test and getting it rejected tbh. I think having the test written and checked by others is enough.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
waterlubber
State: NY
Has thanked: 0

Post by waterlubber »

Alright, here's the new volunteer form: https://forms.gle/VhgWEmo2TL1HZ4Yu9

You can view results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

It allows unlimited entries. I plan to merge the results with BennyTheJett's Userpage's spreadsheet and link it in the Discord.

This is still legal, by the way, assuming we obey SOInc's copyright. We can't use their trademarks or rules, but they don't hold the copyright on tests about Astronomy or bottle rockets or similar. Thus, if we write our own rules and tests, we are legally in the clear. It just can't be branded or marked with *anything* related to Scioly or SOInc.

Some of the more unique building events (like Gravity) might have to be dropped. And obviously if we get a nastygram from any actual SOInc people we'll have to drop building events (except for *very* generic ones) entirely; but tests are permitted so long as they aren't based on Scioly material. (Sorry WIDI)
Kellenberg Div. C D (rip States 2020)
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
Victim of the great CoVID Bamboozle of 2020.
snowyowl

Post by snowyowl »

waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:30 pm Alright, here's the new volunteer form: https://forms.gle/VhgWEmo2TL1HZ4Yu9

You can view results here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

It allows unlimited entries. I plan to merge the results with BennyTheJett's Userpage's spreadsheet and link it in the Discord.

This is still legal, by the way, assuming we obey SOInc's copyright. We can't use their trademarks or rules, but they don't hold the copyright on tests about Astronomy or bottle rockets or similar. Thus, if we write our own rules and tests, we are legally in the clear. It just can't be branded or marked with *anything* related to Scioly or SOInc.
Why exactly can this not be approved by NSO? It doesn’t have to relate to nationals, but they may be willing to make an official (although one-time) exemption.
Syosset High School '24
2023 Events: Dynamic Planet, Forestry, Rocks and Minerals
waterlubber

Post by waterlubber »

snowyowl wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:31 pm
waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:30 pm Alright, here's the new volunteer form: https://forms.gle/VhgWEmo2TL1HZ4Yu9

Why exactly can this not be approved by NSO? It doesn’t have to relate to nationals, but they may be willing to make an official (although one-time) exemption.
Their liability insurance doesn't cover virtual tournaments, for whatever reason, so if somebody gets hurt at a "science olympiad" event it opens them up to the potential of being sued. Note that they don't actually have to *lose* to lose a ton of money, legal fees are expensive, so the decision makes sense.

Basically, as far as anyone is concerned, we're just a group of students with a passion for STEM who like to write tests and compete with each other.
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
snowyowl

Post by snowyowl »

waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Their liability insurance doesn't cover virtual tournaments, for whatever reason, so if somebody gets hurt at a "science olympiad" event it opens them up to the potential of being sued. Note that they don't actually have to *lose* to lose a ton of money, legal fees are expensive, so the decision makes sense.

Basically, as far as anyone is concerned, we're just a group of students with a passion for STEM who like to write tests and compete with each other.
Ah, sadly makes sense. Thanks for the explanation (and I love the description of us).
Syosset High School '24
2023 Events: Dynamic Planet, Forestry, Rocks and Minerals
waterlubber

Post by waterlubber »

snowyowl wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Ah, sadly makes sense. Thanks for the explanation (and I love the description of us).
Yeah. This is an area we'll have to tread carefully, and I'd like to move the organization of it off of the SO forums since this is not an SO event. Just to be safe.
Edit: If you're at Soinc or on a board and have a problem with this, please PM me and I can change it before it becomes a problem (eg copyright, etc.)
Last edited by waterlubber on March 8th, 2020, 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
93 medals.
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by BennyTheJett »

For those of you requesting access: My old spreadsheet is deleted, and isn't coming back due to legal concerns. All of what is happening is in Waterlubber's hands now.
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
State: FL

Post by windu34 »

I would be happy to support this initiative with a Circuit Lab C exam if Nationals gets cancelled.
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
Things2do
State: TN

Post by Things2do »

waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm
snowyowl wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Yeah. This is an area we'll have to tread carefully, and I'd like to move the organization of it off of the SO forums since this is not an SO event. Just to be safe.
Just to throw in my two cents worth, I see no problem with using this forum. SciOly.org is no more official than the "Friendly Science Competition" you're trying to arrange.
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”