Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: New York 2020

Post by SilverBreeze »

Things2do wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:36 pm
waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm
snowyowl wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Ah, sadly makes sense. Thanks for the explanation (and I love the description of us).
Yeah. This is an area we'll have to tread carefully, and I'd like to move the organization of it off of the SO forums since this is not an SO event. Just to be safe.
Just to throw in my two cents worth, I see no problem with using this forum. SciOly.org is no more official than the "Friendly Science Competition" you're trying to arrange.
Should we move it to Off-topic Forums, since it technically is?
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
NadiaT
State: NY

Post by NadiaT »

BennyTheJett wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:56 pm For those of you requesting access: My old spreadsheet is deleted, and isn't coming back due to legal concerns. All of what is happening is in Waterlubber's hands now.
While it's disappointing that this virtual tournament cannot take place (although I respect the rules of SOINC), it was inspiring to see us all come together for the sake of science. Here's to comradery and learning. You guys are the best. :)
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2022
20-21 Events: Disease Detectives, Water Quality
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

NadiaT wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:39 pm
BennyTheJett wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:56 pm For those of you requesting access: My old spreadsheet is deleted, and isn't coming back due to legal concerns. All of what is happening is in Waterlubber's hands now.
While it's disappointing that this virtual tournament cannot take place (although I respect the rules of SOINC), it was inspiring to see us all come together for the sake of science. Here's to comradery and learning. You guys are the best. :)
I believe it still can, but we may not use anything that would violate SOINC copyright or advertise it as SciOly to avoid legal issues. Can someone confirm or refute this?
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
waterlubber
Division: Grad
Has thanked: 0

Post by waterlubber »

Things2do wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:36 pm
waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:51 pm
snowyowl wrote: March 8th, 2020, 5:35 pm

Ah, sadly makes sense. Thanks for the explanation (and I love the description of us).
Yeah. This is an area we'll have to tread carefully, and I'd like to move the organization of it off of the SO forums since this is not an SO event. Just to be safe.
Just to throw in my two cents worth, I see no problem with using this forum. SciOly.org is no more official than the "Friendly Science Competition" you're trying to arrange.
That's good to know. I know Scioly is unaffiliated, I just wanted to play on the safe side in case people dropped in the thread and were like "holy heck is that a virtual tournament‽"
Kellenberg Div. C D (rip States 2020)
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
Victim of the great CoVID Bamboozle of 2020.
waterlubber
Has thanked: 0

Post by waterlubber »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:42 pm
NadiaT wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:39 pm
I believe it still can, but we may not use anything that would violate SOINC copyright or advertise it as SciOly to avoid legal issues. Can someone confirm or refute this?
Yes, it is allowed. Under the Invitationals page (https://www.soinc.org/play/invitationals): (emphasis mine)
Virtual/Online/Cyber events cannot be classified as sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments, and teams may not offer them. In order to retain our Chapter/Club Liability Insurance, Science Olympiad Tournaments require the physical presence of all Science Olympiad members at a single location (site/campus/school). Do not send Invitational Tournament Director forms for Virtual/Online/Cyber events as they will be rejected. Teams may write their own original materials (not using Science Olympiad events as the basis, which is a Copyright violation) and share them with others as practice only. If you have questions, please contact your State Director.
Since we are writing our own original materials (including Building Event rules, which will be written to be compatible with online tournaments) and running as an unaffiliated "for fun" event, we should be in the clear.
Many of the SO events (such as Circuit Lab) are just based on a field as whole (in that events case, Electronics), so writing tests for "Electronics" is something completely safe.
Stuff like WIDI or other SO-unique events will require modification of some sort and may or may not be doable (although I don't think anyone will miss WIDI...). If we write all original content, there's a decent chance it'll fall under the fair use doctrine and be safe.
Building events are going to need a rewrite.
Kellenberg Div. C D (rip States 2020)
Circuit Lab, Chemistry Lab, Code Busters, Detector Building, Machines, Sounds of Music, Fermi Emeritus
93 medals.
Victim of the great CoVID Bamboozle of 2020.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

waterlubber wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:50 pm Stuff like WIDI or other SO-unique events will require modification of some sort and may or may not be doable (although I don't think anyone will miss WIDI...). If we write all original content, there's a decent chance it'll fall under the fair use doctrine and be safe.
Yup writing WIDI from pictures... yikes
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Thanks waterlubber for bring up and trying to explain SO, Inc.'s policy on "virtual tournaments" and fair use of Science Olympiad rules as within their Terms of Service.

I agree with NadiaT; it is "inspiring to see [you] all come together for the sake of science" despite unfortunately having your state tournaments cancelled. However, I wouldn't want to see eager Science Olympiad students or Scioly.org in hot water from the national organization, so I advise you to plan carefully and reference these policies as needed. Thanks for your energy, passion, and flexibility.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Now that I'm rereading that policy statement, I'm pretty confident that I've read somewhere that "Science Olympiad Events" is intended to reference copyrighted National Tournament Test Packets and the like, but I can't find the document anywhere... so, definitely don't take my word for it.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Things2do
State: TN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Things2do »

Here is a thread for continued discussion, to avoid further hijacking this thread. Also, it won't artificially inflate your "useful" post count. viewtopic.php?f=335&t=17332
John 5:46-47
Eagle Scout
Colorado School of Mines

"[A] new project car is always a good idea. [Y]ou always need a new project car[.]" - jaspattack

Let's go, Brandon!
See Wiki
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

www.newyorkscioly.org

It appears Mid-Western and Mid-Hudson Regionals have been cancelled now as well.
These users thanked the author Tailsfan101 for the post:
bernard (March 10th, 2020, 4:41 pm)
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”