lavarball
Division: C
State: PA

Re: Southern California 2020

Post by lavarball »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 6:09 am
boomifailure wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:41 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:23 am

Still not sure I agree with this, but I suppose it depends on your definition of fair. I hope coach/team feedback was sought before making that decision.
I think it is smart since it will cause less outrage. Like it may have been slim, but a favorite could've been upsetted at the competition, so you can't just send the favored teams to win.
I suppose. I still think not sending anyone is worse. I could be wrong.

I would accept the reasoning of not wanting to risk carrying the virus to nationals, but I don't think that reason has been used yet.
Why is there like no attempt to find substitutes to these cancelations. Us seniors are dying :cry:
Eagle View MS 2014-2017
Cumberland Valley HS 2017-2020
Penn State University 2020-2024
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA

Post by SilverBreeze »

lavarball wrote: March 10th, 2020, 6:12 am
boomifailure wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:41 am

I think it is smart since it will cause less outrage. Like it may have been slim, but a favorite could've been upsetted at the competition, so you can't just send the favored teams to win.

I would accept the reasoning of not wanting to risk carrying the virus to nationals, but I don't think that reason has been used yet.
Why is there like no attempt to find substitutes to these cancelations. Us seniors are dying :cry:
I would have accepted a lottery. I wouldn't have been happy about it, but it would have been better than nothing. Or sending the previous year's State champions, though that carries its own issues.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by EwwPhysics »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm

I would have accepted a lottery. I wouldn't have been happy about it, but it would have been better than nothing. Or sending the previous year's State champions, though that carries its own issues.
At this rate, nats probably isn't going to happen, so it most likely won't matter :?

Though this should be a lesson to scioly - there should be a system put in place to decide which teams get to go to states/nats for next time tournaments have to be canceled.
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
Godspeed
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Godspeed »

Has anybody heard if Nats will be canceled? That's a very big gathering of people from all around the country, which is kind of concerning.

Hopefully, it doesn't get canceled though.
demir
State: FL

Post by demir »

EwwPhysics wrote: March 10th, 2020, 4:43 pm
SilverBreeze wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm
At this rate, nats probably isn't going to happen, so it most likely won't matter :?

Though this should be a lesson to scioly - there should be a system put in place to decide which teams get to go to states/nats for next time tournaments have to be canceled.
I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."
pepperonipi
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

Godspeed wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:40 pm Has anybody heard if Nats will be canceled? That's a very big gathering of people from all around the country, which is kind of concerning.

Hopefully, it doesn't get canceled though.
Although this isn't the place to discuss Nats cancellations, the most recent update is that they are not cancelling Nats and are monitoring the situation.
These users thanked the author pepperonipi for the post:
Godspeed (March 10th, 2020, 6:34 pm)
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

demir wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."
That doesn't really solve the issue, though, just shuffles some bids around. I think a major principle of SciOly has been bringing geographic diversity to nationals, or the bids would be allocated very differently...
EwwPhysics wrote: March 10th, 2020, 4:43 pm At this rate, nats probably isn't going to happen, so it most likely won't matter :?

I'm worried we've already set a precedent for forfeiting bids... though I agree, I hope SciOly works out a way to handle similar situations better...
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
demir

Post by demir »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
demir wrote: March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."
That doesn't really solve the issue, though, just shuffles some bids around. I think a major principle of SciOly has been bringing geographic diversity to nationals, or the bids would be allocated very differently...
I never claimed it solves anything, and I don't even particularly like it. But since any state with coronavirus presence is at risk of cancelling their state competition, I asked the question to our state director. If I did not misunderstand, that is the official stance of SO.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

demir wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
I never claimed it solves anything, and I don't even particularly like it. But since any state with coronavirus presence is at risk of cancelling their state competition, I asked the question to our state director. If I did not misunderstand, that is the official stance of SO.
Ah, true, technically the bid would go to another State so someone else from their could go, but I understand your point.
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm
demir wrote: March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Ah, true, technically the bid would go to another State so someone else from their could go, but I understand your point.
It is worth noting that in 2011, DC canceled in April and Minnesota gained a second bid in Div C.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”