Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Southern California 2020

Post by Umaroth »

I don't know if that's a good idea yet, online tournaments are not sanctioned by NSO.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I would recommend first finding the actual policy regarding virtual tournaments so you are aware of what it specifically says. (Unfortunately it's been a few years since the subject has come up so I've forgotten where the statement is located...)
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

https://www.soinc.org/play/invitationals
Posting this here now, if it violates copyright policies I'll delete it:
"NO VIRTUAL/ONLINE/CYBER SCIENCE OLYMPIAD EVENTS ALLOWED:
Virtual/Online/Cyber events cannot be classified as sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments, and teams may not offer them. In order to retain our Chapter/Club Liability Insurance, Science Olympiad Tournaments require the physical presence of all Science Olympiad members at a single location (site/campus/school). Do not send Invitational Tournament Director forms for Virtual/Online/Cyber events as they will be rejected. Teams may write their own original materials (not using Science Olympiad events as the basis, which is a Copyright violation) and share them with others as practice only. If you have questions, please contact your State Director.

Please see the Science Olympiad Copyright Statement outlining use of Science Olympiad Rules and procedures at sanctioned tournaments."

Copyright Statement:
https://www.soinc.org/copyrights-media-and-use
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
Nurd07
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nurd07 »

SilverBreeze wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:51 pm https://www.soinc.org/play/invitationals
Virtual/Online/Cyber events cannot be classified as sanctioned Science Olympiad Tournaments, and teams may not offer them. In order to retain our Chapter/Club Liability Insurance, Science Olympiad Tournaments require the physical presence of all Science Olympiad members at a single location (site/campus/school). Do not send Invitational Tournament Director forms for Virtual/Online/Cyber events as they will be rejected. Teams may write their own original materials (not using Science Olympiad events as the basis, which is a Copyright violation) and share them with others as practice only. If you have questions, please contact your State Director.

Please see the Science Olympiad Copyright Statement outlining use of Science Olympiad Rules and procedures at sanctioned tournaments."

Copyright Statement:
I think that is only for events that are based on the computer, not the tournament.
Nurd07
Division: B
Been thanked: 0

Post by Nurd07 »

Nurd07 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:46 pm
SilverBreeze wrote: March 8th, 2020, 6:51 pm https://www.soinc.org/play/invitationals

Copyright Statement:
I think that is only for events that are based on the computer, not the tournament.
Never mind, I didn't read it correctly.
Godspeed
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Godspeed »

Nurd07 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:48 pm
Nurd07 wrote: March 8th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Copyright Statement:
Never mind, I didn't read it correctly.
So are there any known plans for a representative from SoCal at the National Tournament?
bearasauras

Post by bearasauras »

SoCal will not be looking for an alternative to host the 2020 Southern California State Tournament. Since there would not be a fair way to select teams to represent Southern California at the National Tournament, Southern California will not be sending any teams to the 2020 National Tournament.
boomifailure
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by boomifailure »

bearasauras wrote: March 9th, 2020, 5:56 pm SoCal will not be looking for an alternative to host the 2020 Southern California State Tournament. Since there would not be a fair way to select teams to represent Southern California at the National Tournament, Southern California will not be sending any teams to the 2020 National Tournament.
Sucks for Troy and all the other teams who have been working hard.
SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by SilverBreeze »

Well, it's been a great season with everyone. See you guys next year(sorry seniors...)!
Troy SciOly 2019 - 2023
Captain 2021-2023
Former Events: Ecology, Water Quality, Green Gen, Ornithology, Forestry, Disease Detectives, Forensics, Chem Lab, Env Chem, Sounds, Dynamic Planet, Crime Busters, Potions & Poisons, Exp Design, Towers, Mystery Arch, Reach for the Stars, Mission Possible
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

Indeed very sad for all those affected. Please stay safe and remember that all of us on the forums are with you. If you ever want to chat about science—or life—we're always here with you!

I wish I could give everybody from SoCal some nats stickers, but not all the stickers in the world can cure this misfortune. Sending you all some North Carolina love instead <3
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”