Page 11 of 15

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 6:12 am
by lavarball
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:09 am
boomifailure wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:41 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:23 am


Still not sure I agree with this, but I suppose it depends on your definition of fair. I hope coach/team feedback was sought before making that decision.
I think it is smart since it will cause less outrage. Like it may have been slim, but a favorite could've been upsetted at the competition, so you can't just send the favored teams to win.
I suppose. I still think not sending anyone is worse. I could be wrong.

I would accept the reasoning of not wanting to risk carrying the virus to nationals, but I don't think that reason has been used yet.
Why is there like no attempt to find substitutes to these cancelations. Us seniors are dying :cry:

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm
by SilverBreeze
lavarball wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:12 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:09 am
boomifailure wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:41 am


I think it is smart since it will cause less outrage. Like it may have been slim, but a favorite could've been upsetted at the competition, so you can't just send the favored teams to win.
I suppose. I still think not sending anyone is worse. I could be wrong.

I would accept the reasoning of not wanting to risk carrying the virus to nationals, but I don't think that reason has been used yet.
Why is there like no attempt to find substitutes to these cancelations. Us seniors are dying :cry:
I would have accepted a lottery. I wouldn't have been happy about it, but it would have been better than nothing. Or sending the previous year's State champions, though that carries its own issues.

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 4:43 pm
by EwwPhysics
SilverBreeze wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm
lavarball wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:12 am
EastStroudsburg13 wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:09 am

I suppose. I still think not sending anyone is worse. I could be wrong.

I would accept the reasoning of not wanting to risk carrying the virus to nationals, but I don't think that reason has been used yet.
Why is there like no attempt to find substitutes to these cancelations. Us seniors are dying :cry:
I would have accepted a lottery. I wouldn't have been happy about it, but it would have been better than nothing. Or sending the previous year's State champions, though that carries its own issues.
At this rate, nats probably isn't going to happen, so it most likely won't matter :?

Though this should be a lesson to scioly - there should be a system put in place to decide which teams get to go to states/nats for next time tournaments have to be canceled.

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 5:40 pm
by Godspeed
Has anybody heard if Nats will be canceled? That's a very big gathering of people from all around the country, which is kind of concerning.

Hopefully, it doesn't get canceled though.

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm
by demir
EwwPhysics wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:43 pm
SilverBreeze wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 1:11 pm
lavarball wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 6:12 am

Why is there like no attempt to find substitutes to these cancelations. Us seniors are dying :cry:
I would have accepted a lottery. I wouldn't have been happy about it, but it would have been better than nothing. Or sending the previous year's State champions, though that carries its own issues.
At this rate, nats probably isn't going to happen, so it most likely won't matter :?

Though this should be a lesson to scioly - there should be a system put in place to decide which teams get to go to states/nats for next time tournaments have to be canceled.
I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 5:50 pm
by pepperonipi
Godspeed wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:40 pm
Has anybody heard if Nats will be canceled? That's a very big gathering of people from all around the country, which is kind of concerning.

Hopefully, it doesn't get canceled though.
Although this isn't the place to discuss Nats cancellations, the most recent update is that they are not cancelling Nats and are monitoring the situation.

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
by SilverBreeze
demir wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm
I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."
That doesn't really solve the issue, though, just shuffles some bids around. I think a major principle of SciOly has been bringing geographic diversity to nationals, or the bids would be allocated very differently...
EwwPhysics wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 4:43 pm
At this rate, nats probably isn't going to happen, so it most likely won't matter :?

Though this should be a lesson to scioly - there should be a system put in place to decide which teams get to go to states/nats for next time tournaments have to be canceled.
I'm worried we've already set a precedent for forfeiting bids... though I agree, I hope SciOly works out a way to handle similar situations better...

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
by demir
SilverBreeze wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
demir wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm
I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."
That doesn't really solve the issue, though, just shuffles some bids around. I think a major principle of SciOly has been bringing geographic diversity to nationals, or the bids would be allocated very differently...
I never claimed it solves anything, and I don't even particularly like it. But since any state with coronavirus presence is at risk of cancelling their state competition, I asked the question to our state director. If I did not misunderstand, that is the official stance of SO.

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm
by SilverBreeze
demir wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
SilverBreeze wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
demir wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 5:47 pm
I believe there is a system: "If the state does not happen, no one goes to national."
That doesn't really solve the issue, though, just shuffles some bids around. I think a major principle of SciOly has been bringing geographic diversity to nationals, or the bids would be allocated very differently...
I never claimed it solves anything, and I don't even particularly like it. But since any state with coronavirus presence is at risk of cancelling their state competition, I asked the question to our state director. If I did not misunderstand, that is the official stance of SO.
Ah, true, technically the bid would go to another State so someone else from their could go, but I understand your point.

Re: Southern California 2020

Posted: March 10th, 2020, 8:16 pm
by Unome
SilverBreeze wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:58 pm
demir wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:52 pm
SilverBreeze wrote:
March 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm


That doesn't really solve the issue, though, just shuffles some bids around. I think a major principle of SciOly has been bringing geographic diversity to nationals, or the bids would be allocated very differently...
I never claimed it solves anything, and I don't even particularly like it. But since any state with coronavirus presence is at risk of cancelling their state competition, I asked the question to our state director. If I did not misunderstand, that is the official stance of SO.
Ah, true, technically the bid would go to another State so someone else from their could go, but I understand your point.
It is worth noting that in 2011, DC canceled in April and Minnesota gained a second bid in Div C.