Don't know but B division for the eastern regionals is here at BBCC
ireland
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Washington 2020

Post by ireland »

Is there any chance that Regionals and/or State could be cancelled due to the governor's declaration of a state of emergency? I'm competing at the SW Washington Regionals next week and my parents are convinced that it will be cancelled, and since I have my doubts, I wanted to ask here to see if anyone knew or had heard anything.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

ireland wrote: February 29th, 2020, 8:31 pm Is there any chance that Regionals and/or State could be cancelled due to the governor's declaration of a state of emergency? I'm competing at the SW Washington Regionals next week and my parents are convinced that it will be cancelled, and since I have my doubts, I wanted to ask here to see if anyone knew or had heard anything.
At this time it seems unlikely that tournaments this upcoming weekend will be cancelled, so teams should plan on attending. The tournament directors (at least in the Northwest region) are monitoring outbreak updates and following guidance of local health authorities.

Cancellation of a tournament is at the discretion of Washington Science Olympiad (WSO), the tournament hosts, and the tournament site. Participation in tournaments is always voluntary and is at the discretion of competing team's school administration, parents, coaches and competitors.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

In consideration of the recent developments surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak in Washington state, the Northwest region Division C tournament at Curtis Junior High School is cancelled.

An email has been sent to coaches of competing teams, and I have posted (with permission) a version below which I hope answers any questions you may have. This decision does not affect the Northwest region Division B tournament at Bothell High School, which at this time is still planned.
Tonight, the NW regional board made the difficult decision to cancel the March 7th Northwest C Science Olympiad Regional tournament. This decision was based on the most recent information from the King County Health Department and the fact that multiple schools have reported that their districts would not be allowing them to attend the tournament. We believe that this decision, while conservative, is in the best interest of the students, volunteers, and their communities.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/com ... ction.aspx

At present, we are still planning to hold the March 21 Northwest B regional and will continue to monitor the situation, specifically the advice from public health officials; we will inform you if anything changes.

The NW board will be looking into options to potentially allow NW teams to be represented at state; we will let you know if such a viable pathway is found.

We appreciate your support and look forward to future events. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Judy Mannard and Nick Stephens, tournament directors
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
pb5754
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by pb5754 »

bernard wrote: March 4th, 2020, 10:11 pm In consideration of the recent developments surrounding the COVID-19 outbreak in Washington state, the Northwest region Division C tournament at Curtis Junior High School is cancelled.

An email has been sent to coaches of competing teams, and I have posted (with permission) a version below which I hope answers any questions you may have. This decision does not affect the Northwest region Division B tournament at Bothell High School, which at this time is still planned.
Tonight, the NW regional board made the difficult decision to cancel the March 7th Northwest C Science Olympiad Regional tournament. This decision was based on the most recent information from the King County Health Department and the fact that multiple schools have reported that their districts would not be allowing them to attend the tournament. We believe that this decision, while conservative, is in the best interest of the students, volunteers, and their communities.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/health/com ... ction.aspx

At present, we are still planning to hold the March 21 Northwest B regional and will continue to monitor the situation, specifically the advice from public health officials; we will inform you if anything changes.

The NW board will be looking into options to potentially allow NW teams to be represented at state; we will let you know if such a viable pathway is found.

We appreciate your support and look forward to future events. Please let us know if you have any questions.

Judy Mannard and Nick Stephens, tournament directors
What will happen to the teams (such as Bothell) that were supposed to compete here?
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School South '21
2021 Nationals: Astronomy - 1st, Geologic Mapping - 1st, Team - 6th
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

pb5754 wrote: March 5th, 2020, 7:12 am What will happen to the teams (such as Bothell) that were supposed to compete here?
The board is looking into options to allow teams that would have competed at this tournament to be represented at the state tournament. There were 30 teams (from 16 schools) registered for this tournament, which would have advanced 9 teams to the state tournament.
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

With SoCal cancelling, is there any word of WA cancelling? They have it worse..
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
SentientJello
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

State & Remaining Regionals Likely to be Cancelled?

Post by SentientJello »

I think with how fast the COVID-19 outbreak is escalating in Washington, the Regional Tournaments that haven't taken place yet (Eastern Region, Div C & Northwest Region, Div B), as well as the State Tournament are all likely to be cancelled in the near future.
Current Div C Competitor, Former OVMS Competitor
2016/2019/2020: Astronomy/Reach for the Stars, Dynamic Planet, Fossils
2018: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
2017: Dynamic Planet, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals
SONT 2017 SoCal Div B Competitor
Tailsfan101
State: ID

Post by Tailsfan101 »

www.statescioly.org/wa/info/tournaments

The statescioly website now does not list the state tournament under tournaments, and lists "NW B/C Overflow/Cancellations" for April 9th. I'm not entirely sure what this means, can someone (bernard) clarify?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bernard »

Tailsfan101 wrote: March 9th, 2020, 4:36 pm www.statescioly.org/wa/info/tournaments

The statescioly website now does not list the state tournament under tournaments, and lists "NW B/C Overflow/Cancellations" for April 9th. I'm not entirely sure what this means, can someone (bernard) clarify?
I talked with a board member overseeing tournaments in the Northwest: it seems unlikely that the new listings on April 9, 2020, are actual tournaments and are more likely placeholders, possibly for keeping track of teams that could not participate in a regional.

At this time, the Division B regional at Bothell High School on March 21, 2020, is still planned, and from reports of coaches of attending teams it appears the Division B/C regionals at Spokane Community College on March 14, 2020, is continuing as planned.

Board members in the Northwest region are still discussing the possibility for Northwest teams who intended to but could not participate in a regional (due to COVID-19 concerns) to be represented at the state tournament. The board is aware that affected teams include not only the teams registered for the cancelled March 7, 2020, tournament at Curtis Junior High School, but also teams from districts that have placed sanctions on travel for school activities (with some extending beyond the date of the state tournament); the board is paying attention to each school's situation.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”