CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Indiana 1994

Post by CPScienceDude »

gz839918 wrote: March 22nd, 2020, 6:10 pm yayyyyyyyyyyy congrats to Troy (CA) for upsetting La Jolla and making nationals for the very first time ever in this fine year of 1994-! :x 👏👏 <3 🎊 (hyphen means no factorial yay) I predict that the next time they make nationals, they'll get first place and start a lasting tradition of getting first. Yes, I know—it's a bold prediction when this is their first year at nationals, but trust me, I've got a gut feeling that's so strong that my intestines are making SoCal memes already.
What's a meme? :?: :?:
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Indiana 2020

Post by BennyTheJett »

These users thanked the author BennyTheJett for the post (total 2):
Giantpants (May 8th, 2020, 7:32 pm) • amk578 (May 8th, 2020, 7:38 pm)
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX

Post by lumosityfan »

Not sure if this has been posted here already but I managed to find the results of the Ivy Tech Lafayette regional.

Division B:
1. Wilber Wright Middle School (Going to State) (45)
2. St. Mary's Catholic Community School (Going to State) (76)
3. LaPorte Middle School (Going to State) (90)
4. Winamac Middle School (Going to State) (95)
5. West Lafayette Jr/Sr High School (95)

Division C:
1. McCutcheon High School (State) (63)
2. West Lafayette Jr/Sr High School (State) (74)
3. Benton Central High School (State) (92)
4. Mt. Vernon High School (State) (94)
5. Peru High School (State) (124

Division B: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... YjgzYjQ3Yw

Division C: https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid= ... MzRiNjI1MQ
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

Woah what happened to West Lafayette? IIRC they got 10th at state last year. Pretty wack seeing them not even going to state.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
pikachu4919
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pikachu4919 »

CPScienceDude wrote: May 27th, 2020, 11:20 am Woah what happened to West Lafayette? IIRC they got 10th at state last year. Pretty wack seeing them not even going to state.
I think with a small regional like Ivy Tech Lafayette, anything can happen since the scores are always so low due to there being very few teams in the first place. Looking at the actual score sheet, it looks like they lost by one on a gold medal count tiebreaker, which indeed is pretty sad. Also personal opinion here but the Ivy Tech Lafayette Regional isn't particularly too well run either anyways...they definitely try to borrow a lot of Purdue students to help out, and their event materials aren't always the best. If this gives an idea, I got fourth in Forensics the one time Carmel went to it. Granted, I got fifth at state later on that season, which was the worst of my four placings at State Tournaments in forensics (the others being 3rd twice and 1st once), but it still drives the point that anything can happen. Personally, I would not at all be surprised if Winamac MS's coach had something to do with it, but I'm not going to speculate further on that in a public environment.
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

CPScienceDude wrote: May 27th, 2020, 11:20 am Woah what happened to West Lafayette? IIRC they got 10th at state last year. Pretty wack seeing them not even going to state.
Were you looking at their second team in the regionals results? Their primary team got 2nd, and they would have been team C28 at the state tournament. https://purduescioly.org/s/INSO-State-t ... s-2020.pdf Edit: oh wait never mind you meant their Div B team whoops lol

The Indiana University system has announced that classes will not be held on campus from November 30 until next year February 8. This aims to avoid cold weather, which worsens coronavirus, but it's so close to March that it seems probable that IU will try to enact some form of social distancing in March. Purdue has unveiled a similar plan for 2020 fall classes, and I think it's only a question of time before they say the same for 2021 spring. I hope it doesn't come to the c word, but it kind of looks like the state tournament next year is on shaky footing. Optimistically, I think the state tournament could benefit from being scheduled for April next season to prevent a cancellation, and hopefully by then (with a bit of wishful thinking), effective medicines or vaccines are available.
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CPScienceDude »

lolnvm
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!
Creationist127
Division: C

Post by Creationist127 »

gz839918 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 6:58 pm
Were you looking at their second team in the regionals results? Their primary team got 2nd, and they would have been team C28 at the state tournament. https://purduescioly.org/s/INSO-State-t ... s-2020.pdf Edit: oh wait never mind you meant their Div B team whoops lol

The Indiana University system has announced that classes will not be held on campus from November 30 until next year February 8. This aims to avoid cold weather, which worsens coronavirus, but it's so close to March that it seems probable that IU will try to enact some form of social distancing in March. Purdue has unveiled a similar plan for 2020 fall classes, and I think it's only a question of time before they say the same for 2021 spring. I hope it doesn't come to the c word, but it kind of looks like the state tournament next year is on shaky footing. Optimistically, I think the state tournament could benefit from being scheduled for April next season to prevent a cancellation, and hopefully by then (with a bit of wishful thinking), effective medicines or vaccines are available.
Hang on, wait, WHAT did I just read? Am I reading this right??? This coronavirus cancellation thing is going to spill into next year?!
I thought it was going to all be over by the end of the summer... (granted I haven't been paying attention to experts' predictions, but still) :x
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?
Nydauron
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Nydauron »

Creationist127 wrote: May 28th, 2020, 9:48 am
gz839918 wrote: May 27th, 2020, 6:58 pm

Hang on, wait, WHAT did I just read? Am I reading this right??? This coronavirus cancellation thing is going to spill into next year?!
I thought it was going to all be over by the end of the summer... (granted I haven't been paying attention to experts' predictions, but still) :x
I feel like this is more of a worst-case scenario. However, while some states are entering phase 3 (non-essential businesses reopening), and it is good that we are slowing rebuilding our society, it doesn’t seem sustainable in the long run. If we want to be sure that we don’t get a repeat of this past season again, a vaccine needs to be produced and distributed. Fauci says that the possibility of having a vaccine by the end of the year is “aspirational, but it’s certainly doable,” but also is cautiously optimistic about the vaccine’s progress.
On the subject of colleges and universities, it’s still kind of in-the-air. Colleges are all taking different approaches to the scenario. For example, IU plans to go online for November till February. On the other hand, UIUC has stated that they are pushing for restoring “face-to-face teaching” in the Fall, but we have only received one vague massmail on the matter.
I think it’s pretty clear no one here wants to face another round of cancellations. We have to hope that vaccines are distributed some time at the end of the year or the beginning of next year. Unfortunately, I can’t say that I can accurately predict the future. In the next few months, the worst-case scenario would be a resurgence (SIR models have shown that this is a possibility) as we slowly reopen back up just because of negligence, which can potentially set us back to where we were in April. But we got to stay strong and diligent in these rough times. The doctors, nurses, and researchers are all putting their best foot forward to conquer this. Hopefully, this will all be over by early 2021 at the very latest.
These users thanked the author Nydauron for the post (total 2):
gz839918 (June 1st, 2020, 6:53 pm) • CPScienceDude (June 1st, 2020, 6:57 pm)
Conant '19UIUC '23
Physics is the only real science
Change my mind
Nydauron's Userpage
A proper dark mode for the forums and wiki
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Nydauron wrote: June 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm On the subject of colleges and universities, it’s still kind of in-the-air. Colleges are all taking different approaches to the scenario. For example, IU plans to go online for November till February. On the other hand, UIUC has stated that they are pushing for restoring “face-to-face teaching” in the Fall, but we have only received one vague massmail on the matter.
The other part of the question is what schools do. Schools have been making contingency plans for remote learning in the fall, but it's nobody's first choice (and in general, it's much harder to do remote school than remote college, given the difference in maturity and independence between the two groups). But going back to school and having large tournaments where groups of kids from dozens of schools all huddle together are different things.

Schools aren't going to treat scioly differently from interscholastic sports, regional art fairs, and all the other things they do that involve off-campus mingling. So you're right that the college/university hosts may present a challenge for next year's state and regional tournaments, but there may also be a challenge from the other direction, from the schools themselves. I think it'll strongly depend on how the summer goes, as to first, whether schools open in the fall (they probably will - I think the political pressure to do that will be huge) and second, whether they start up their off-campus activities as usual (here, despite the power of the school sports lobby, I'm less certain. I could see school boards adopting a wait-and-see strategy and cancelling fall programs. Which might mean a shortened scioly season with no invitationals until after Christmas, for example.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”