Indiana 2020

l0lit
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Indiana 2020

Post by l0lit »

You know how we're all very sad that Indiana SciOly was cancelled this year? Well me and some other people been working on a competition where those skills can be used, so feel free to register for the Indiana Quarantine Science Tournament! It’s a free, multidisciplinary science competition open to high school students from the 2019-2020 school year around Indiana. There will be multiple topics to compete in, many types of games, and even prizes!

The topics tested will be similar to what is seen in SciOly, so it will provide both a fun, competitive end to this season along with some good preparation for next season! The competition is in teams of 5, and you may bring as many teams as you like from your school.
Note that we are not associated with Science Olympiad, but want all of you guys to have access to this opportunity.

Learn more at: https://sites.google.com/view/ihssc/home
Register at: https://sites.google.com/view/ihssc/home

Please PM me if you have any questions.
Last edited by Person on June 17th, 2020, 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added info per user request
Any opinions stated on this site are not official, the only official information can be found at soinc.org

University of South Florida '25
Carmel SciOly Alumni, Captain 2019-21
Tests written
splane21
Division: Grad
State: IN
Been thanked: 0

Post by splane21 »

knightmoves wrote: June 8th, 2020, 10:37 am
Nydauron wrote: June 1st, 2020, 4:55 pm On the subject of colleges and universities, it’s still kind of in-the-air. Colleges are all taking different approaches to the scenario. For example, IU plans to go online for November till February. On the other hand, UIUC has stated that they are pushing for restoring “face-to-face teaching” in the Fall, but we have only received one vague massmail on the matter.
The other part of the question is what schools do. Schools have been making contingency plans for remote learning in the fall, but it's nobody's first choice (and in general, it's much harder to do remote school than remote college, given the difference in maturity and independence between the two groups). But going back to school and having large tournaments where groups of kids from dozens of schools all huddle together are different things.

Schools aren't going to treat scioly differently from interscholastic sports, regional art fairs, and all the other things they do that involve off-campus mingling. So you're right that the college/university hosts may present a challenge for next year's state and regional tournaments, but there may also be a challenge from the other direction, from the schools themselves. I think it'll strongly depend on how the summer goes, as to first, whether schools open in the fall (they probably will - I think the political pressure to do that will be huge) and second, whether they start up their off-campus activities as usual (here, despite the power of the school sports lobby, I'm less certain. I could see school boards adopting a wait-and-see strategy and cancelling fall programs. Which might mean a shortened scioly season with no invitationals until after Christmas, for example.

I believe Science Olympiad will allow for virtual invitationals next season. Thus there is always the possibility invites will be held virtual if there is pushback from schools or hosts.

https://www.soinc.org/play/tournaments? ... ei9p9rcuwE
Carmel HS (IN) '19
Georgia Tech (GA) '23

1st Chemistry Lab-Nationals 2019
1st Experimental Design-Nationals 2019
boomifailure
State: MI

Post by boomifailure »

2021 state predictions?
Creationist127
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Creationist127 »

boomifailure wrote: June 30th, 2020, 11:38 am 2021 state predictions?
Munster takes dubs
2018: Hovercraft, Thermo, Coaster, Solar System
2019: Thermo, Circuit Lab, Sounds, Wright Stuff
2020: Circuit Lab, Wright Stuff, Machines
2021: Circuit Lab, Machines, WIDI, anything but Wright Stuff

Can I request that we delete 2020 from our memories and do it over again?

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”