Florida 2020

demir
State: FL

Re: Florida 2020

Post by demir »

Is there anyone who can name Top 5 division B teams that placed in FAU?
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus
Division: Grad

Post by windu34 »

With all of the recent discussion on the potential impact of the coronavirus on state and national tournaments, I wanted to post and let Florida competitors know we at UF are still proceeding with preparations for our state tournament while carefully monitoring the situation. The UFSO team is working on implementing preventative safety measures that can be put in place to help mitigate the potential threat to our attendees. If circumstances arise such that Florida Science Olympiad leadership or the University of Florida deems it unsafe to hold the tournament, I will update to this thread accordingly.

For now, please continue with your preparations for the state tournament and reach out to us at [email protected] with any specific questions or concerns.
These users thanked the author windu34 for the post (total 2):
pepperonipi (March 10th, 2020, 5:35 pm) • Fridaychimp (March 10th, 2020, 8:54 pm)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
pepperonipi
Division: C
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by pepperonipi »

windu34 wrote: March 7th, 2020, 4:51 pm With all of the recent discussion on the potential impact of the coronavirus on state and national tournaments, I wanted to post and let Florida competitors know we at UF are still proceeding with preparations for our state tournament while carefully monitoring the situation. The UFSO team is working on implementing preventative safety measures that can be put in place to help mitigate the potential threat to our attendees. If circumstances arise such that Florida Science Olympiad leadership or the University of Florida deems it unsafe to hold the tournament, I will update to this thread accordingly.

For now, please continue with your preparations for the state tournament and reach out to us at [email protected] with any specific questions or concerns.
This is a very refreshing update. Thank you windu.

Looks like UF is already putting in some preventative measures to stop the spread! I'm hoping nothing happens and the show will go on! :D
happy new season!

University of Florida
My Wiki Page | WikiProject SciOly and Scioly.org | Pi-Bot

2019: Code, Fermi, Thermo
2020: Detector, Orni, Code (Substitution: Penn)
2021: Detector, Orni, Circuit, WICI
windu34
Staff Emeritus
Staff Emeritus

Post by windu34 »

Florida State Tournament Update
Currently still progressing with the tournament, however, this is subject to change at any moment. We are hoping to reach a stronger decision by the end of the week after speaking to UF administration.
IF the tournament is held, the following provisions have been ascertained in order to mitigate risk:
1.) All Friday Activities/Trial Events have been CANCELLED
2.) Awards Ceremony is CANCELLED. My current plan would be to livestream announcements of event and overall winners that evening and mail out awards.
3.) Experimental Design B/C is CANCELLED
4.) No spectators will be allowed for ANY events. We will quite literally have a "bouncer" at the only gym entrance checking wristbands. Coaches and parents will not be allowed in the gym.

The UFSO team is also discussing ways to mitigate risks, such as mandating tables be wiped down between time blocks with bleach wipes, mandatory hand sanitizer upon entering all rooms, and mandatory face masks for all competitors.

Additional information can be found here: UFSO COVID-19 Statement
These users thanked the author windu34 for the post (total 9):
pepperonipi (March 10th, 2020, 8:41 pm) • CookiePie1 (March 10th, 2020, 8:43 pm) • builderguy135 (March 10th, 2020, 8:51 pm) • bernard (March 10th, 2020, 8:52 pm) • Fridaychimp (March 10th, 2020, 8:54 pm) • MadCow2357 (March 10th, 2020, 8:56 pm) • anandymous (March 11th, 2020, 4:33 am) • LittleMissNyan (March 11th, 2020, 7:04 am) • gz839918 (March 11th, 2020, 10:52 am)
Boca Raton Community High School Alumni
University of Florida Science Olympiad Co-Founder
Florida Science Olympiad Board of Directors
[email protected] || windu34's Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by CookiePie1 »

windu34 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 8:41 pm Florida State Tournament Update
Currently still progressing with the tournament, however, this is subject to change at any moment. We are hoping to reach a stronger decision by the end of the week after speaking to UF administration.
IF the tournament is held, the following provisions have been ascertained in order to mitigate risk:
2.) Awards Ceremony is CANCELLED. My current plan would be to livestream announcements of event and overall winners that evening and mail out awards.
4.) No spectators will be allowed for ANY events. We will quite literally have a "bouncer" at the only gym entrance checking wristbands. Coaches and parents will not be allowed in the gym.

The UFSO team is also discussing ways to mitigate risks, such as mandating tables be wiped down between time blocks with bleach wipes, mandatory hand sanitizer upon entering all rooms, and mandatory face masks for all competitors.

seems like a great compromise, but more effective than NJ only cancelling awards but ignoring other risks.
These users thanked the author CookiePie1 for the post:
gz839918 (March 11th, 2020, 10:52 am)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
pepperonipi

Post by pepperonipi »

CookiePie1 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 8:44 pm
windu34 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 8:41 pm Florida State Tournament Update

seems like a great compromise, but more effective than NJ only cancelling awards but ignoring other risks.
I agree. I think FSO has a great handle on this situation. I just hope nothing too serious happens in the next 10 days or so at UF where states would need to be canceled. The most important thing is all of our health in the end.
happy new season!

University of Florida

demir

Post by demir »

Florida State competition is cancelled. I want to say how much I appreciate the efforts the state board put to keep it alive. However, University of Florida is completely switching to online education by Monday and they don't want any students in their campus considering all the travelling during Spring Break. They also got the first case in Gainesville, Florida.

This is extremely disappointing but I guess it was unavoidable. My students were really looking forward to state but life happens!

Letter from Ms. Ledford, the state director:

"Florida Science Olympiad Competitors, Coaches, Parents, and Volunteers,
Over the past few days, I have communicated with many about plans for our tournaments within the context of the coronavirus. My delay in providing to you a definitive response was motivated by my desire to ensure both the health and safety of your students, as well as to allow competitors participation in a tournament that they have spent the past few months admirably preparing for. As of today, however, the Florida State Science Olympiad tournament at the University of Florida scheduled for March 21 is CANCELLED based on a call from the university due to an active COVID-19 case in Alachua county.
We cannot host a virtual tournament and with the expected increased spread of the virus we cannot set a reschedule date. Due to this, Florida will be unable to send any teams to the national tournament in Raleigh in the situation that there is a national tournament.
While I thoroughly understand the pain and hardship that this will cause the students, parents, and coaches, this is the best and most appropriate decision that can be made considering the current circumstances relating to the coronavirus situation. The board and I have agonized over the possibility of cancelling the tournament for some time. We are fully aware of the sacrifices and dedication of competitors and coaches as they have prepared for this moment. It is heartbreaking to have to make this decision because our team was very excited for this tournament and looking forward to providing everyone an amazing experience.
I know that everyone has made, at times, sacrifices for their students and for Science Olympiad, I earnestly and desperately implore you all to assist me in making just one more: that is, for your patience and understanding. Again, I am very, very sorry to have to share this news with you. I wish you all the very best and sincerely hope to see all of you back next year. Please share this letter with the appropriate school administrators and parents. As always, should you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me"
These users thanked the author demir for the post (total 7):
pepperonipi (March 11th, 2020, 2:55 pm) • huppada (March 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm) • anandymous (March 11th, 2020, 3:28 pm) • glin1011 (March 11th, 2020, 3:29 pm) • bernard (March 11th, 2020, 3:37 pm) • MadCow2357 (March 11th, 2020, 5:14 pm) • gz839918 (March 12th, 2020, 6:58 pm)
demir

Post by demir »

And the nationals are cancelled as well.

“Uncertainty surrounding the spread of coronavirus (COVID-19), the risk of transmission at large indoor gatherings, and multiple cancellations of state tournaments with more expected, has led the Science Olympiad Board along with leadership at North Carolina State University to CANCEL the 2020 Science Olympiad National Tournament held in Raleigh, NC, scheduled for May 15-16, 2020. According to the CDC, one of the greatest health risks is to the senior adult population, which makes up a significant portion of our teachers, coaches, officials, key personnel and volunteers. While we know this cancellation will be very disappointing to students, coaches, supervisors, and parents after all the hard work that has been put into their season, we must put health and safety first. We encourage teams to look ahead to preparations for next year. Our state leaders will focus on planning events and generating excitement for the upcoming season
These users thanked the author demir for the post (total 2):
huppada (March 11th, 2020, 3:02 pm) • glin1011 (March 11th, 2020, 3:29 pm)
pepperonipi

Post by pepperonipi »

demir wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:31 pm Florida State competition is cancelled. I want to say how much I appreciate the efforts the state board put to keep it alive. However, University of Florida is completely switching to online education by Monday and they don't want any students in their campus considering all the travelling during Spring Break. They also got the first case in Gainesville, Florida.

This is extremely disappointing but I guess it was unavoidable. My students were really looking forward to state but life happens!

Over the past few days, I have communicated with many about plans for our tournaments within the context of the coronavirus. My delay in providing to you a definitive response was motivated by my desire to ensure both the health and safety of your students, as well as to allow competitors participation in a tournament that they have spent the past few months admirably preparing for. As of today, however, the Florida State Science Olympiad tournament at the University of Florida scheduled for March 21 is CANCELLED based on a call from the university due to an active COVID-19 case in Alachua county.
We cannot host a virtual tournament and with the expected increased spread of the virus we cannot set a reschedule date. Due to this, Florida will be unable to send any teams to the national tournament in Raleigh in the situation that there is a national tournament.
While I thoroughly understand the pain and hardship that this will cause the students, parents, and coaches, this is the best and most appropriate decision that can be made considering the current circumstances relating to the coronavirus situation. The board and I have agonized over the possibility of cancelling the tournament for some time. We are fully aware of the sacrifices and dedication of competitors and coaches as they have prepared for this moment. It is heartbreaking to have to make this decision because our team was very excited for this tournament and looking forward to providing everyone an amazing experience.
I know that everyone has made, at times, sacrifices for their students and for Science Olympiad, I earnestly and desperately implore you all to assist me in making just one more: that is, for your patience and understanding. Again, I am very, very sorry to have to share this news with you. I wish you all the very best and sincerely hope to see all of you back next year. Please share this letter with the appropriate school administrators and parents. As always, should you need anything further, please do not hesitate to contact me"
gg. Couldn't have asked for a better season.

Thank you to all of the various event supervisors who helped out at the regionals and those who planned to help out at states, the various tournament directors, and the coaches, parents, and students that help to keep this program alive. A virus may have taken away the rest of the season for this state, but I have so much confidence in us for next season!!
happy new season!

University of Florida

glin1011

Post by glin1011 »

demir wrote: March 11th, 2020, 2:31 pm Florida State competition is cancelled. I want to say how much I appreciate the efforts the state board put to keep it alive. However, University of Florida is completely switching to online education by Monday and they don't want any students in their campus considering all the travelling during Spring Break. They also got the first case in Gainesville, Florida.

This was my final year participating in Florida Science Olympiad as a competitor, as well as a Div B event coach. Although I am quite sad and disheartened about the news, at the same time, this was one of the greatest seasons I've ever had. Not only was I able to compete with my team, the RaTs, one last time, at the same time I was able to be apart of our school's first ever self-hosted Invitationals as a student chair.

Good job to all who competed this year, as well as other coaches, friends, and other teams that I've been able to meet throughout these years. Without the support, there would be NO way Florida Science Olympiad could exist. Although I am graduating this year, it does not mean I will never stop showing my support for Science Olympiad, as well as continue to support it in future seasons.

Hope all are safe.
These users thanked the author glin1011 for the post (total 3):
bearasauras (March 11th, 2020, 4:30 pm) • MadCow2357 (March 11th, 2020, 5:16 pm) • gz839918 (March 12th, 2020, 6:59 pm)
River City Science Academy Class of 2020
Division B Experimental Design Coach
Division C Team Member/Assistant Manager

2020 Events: Sounds of Music; Ping Pong Parachute; Boomilever; Experimental Design
University of Florida '24

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”