Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Pennsylvania 2020

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Division B

Southeast South (9 bids)
  1. Bala Cynwyd - The only major contender for nationals in the region, they should win by a healthy margin, making it 6 regional wins in 7 years.
  2. Strath Haven - Flip a coin with these next two. Both will finish in the state's top 10, competing primarily with Mountain View.
  3. Garnet Valley - See above. One point separated these two teams last year and it might be that close again.
  4. Stetson - I also struggled with these next two. In the end, Stetson has been 4th for two years running, so they get the nod to do it again.
  5. Welsh Valley - Based on invitational results, WV has a solid chance of returning to the state top 10. Both because they appear solid and because I haven't been overly impressed by many other teams in this tier.
  6. J.R. Fugett - This was a weird tier to rank. Fugett has made it a habit of not being overly impressive at invitationals, but then having a decent performance at regionals.
  7. Tredyffrin/Easttown - By all accounts, they project as the 6th best team in the region based on invites. But I've picked them to make states the past two years, and I got burned both times. With 9 bids, and a stronger team, they really should make it comfortably, but I'm giving myself that little bit of leeway just in case.
  8. Springton Lake - Not sure what to make of them. Their Rustin placement was their worst in quite some time. The ninth bid could offer them some much needed leeway.
  9. Shipley - Haverford not competing (another casualty of shrinking B Div participation in PA) leaves the door open for someone else. Shipley's C team had a quick rise, and their B squad could see the same.
Honorable mention: Other than Shipley, Peirce and Valley Forge are probably the most likely other candidates to qualify for states. A sleeper is Tohickon, which returns to SEPA after competing at Central East last year. They had been on the rise before switching regions, so a breakout is possible.

Southwest (7 bids)
  1. Shady Side Academy - Yes, there actually is another regional happening! As usual, the question is not who will win, it's how low of a score will SSA get.
  2. Franklin Regional - Until something changes, Franklin Regional will continue to be my default pick for 2nd.
  3. Winchester Thurston - Their attendance at Eagle was welcome to see, and they didn't look bad, either. A 2nd place finish wouldn't shock me.
  4. Norwin - From here it's basically a guessing game. Norwin established themselves as a mid-tier SW team last year, so they're the safest bet.
  5. Central Cambria - They've been on the fringes of qualifying for two years now. This strikes me as a team that'll make an extra push to qualify this year. Having an extra regional bid to states will help, as well.
  6. Quaker Valley - Could they return to the region's top 3? Yes. Could they end up missing states altogether? Also yes.
  7. Peters Township - A yo-yo team for the past four seasons, my guess is that continues.
Honorable mention: After years of having a pretty wide bubble, this region got very stratified into the haves and have nots last year. Bedford (not the Connecticut one) is the team that most likely benefits if one of the above teams performs worse than expected. However, Woodland Hills finished 9th last year in their first year of competing, and if they improve, could jump ahead and snag a spot instead.

Division C
Southeast South (5 bids)
  1. Bayard Rustin - The SEPA split makes regional predictions a very interesting endeavor this year. Rustin is the heavy favorite to win, but the margin of victory will be interesting to see.
  2. Conestoga - If SEPA South was always a thing, Stoga would have 4 of the past 6 regional titles. Regionals has tended to be Stoga's strong point of the season, and that gives them the edge over the next two teams.
  3. Penncrest - They've been neck and neck with Stoga all season, and if I were to guess right now, Penncrest would place higher at states. I do kind of miss them being a national contender, though.
  4. Garnet Valley - It is evident that they have a goal of breaking into this region's top 3. They may be in striking distance, but I don't think they're there yet.
  5. Strath Haven - This may be the most coveted states spot in the entire state. I narrowed it down to a four team race between Haverford, Shipley, West Chester East, and Strath. Shipley has struggled through invitational season, and Haverford lacked a standout showing, so I narrowed it to Strath and East. Ultimately, Strath Haven attended the better invitational (SOUP), and placed higher last season, so they got my pick to return to states after a three-year absence. Whoever finishes 6th in this region is likely to be the best team in the state to not qualify for states.
Honorable mention: This section essentially amounts to the three teams mentioned above. West Chester East appears to be a top-20 caliber team in the state this year, and would likely qualify safely in any other regional, including SEPA North. Shipley, which geographically is actually within the bounds of SEPA North, would probably have a much better chance of qualifying there. Haverford seems decent based on Princeton, but more than that will be needed to qualify here.

Southwest (6 bids)
  1. Shady Side Academy - Will they break the 40-point barrier? It could happen.
  2. Mount Lebanon - In a region devoid of true challengers to SSA, second place is wide open. Mount Lebanon made states in their first year of competition last year, and did not finish too far behind Manheim Central at Carnegie Mellon.
  3. Franklin Regional - Based on the B team's trajectory, this should be around Franklin Regional's peak season, but results from the past two years have shown very little momentum. I have no idea why they haven't been attending Carnegie Mellon. I hope they succeed, but I fear this team's legacy is more likely to be one of wasted potential.
  4. Norwin - At least they attended CMU last year, if not this year. They're the safest remaining team to stay in the top 6.
  5. Winchester Thurston - A team with an established feeder program that attended an invitational and qualified for states in their first year of competing? Sign me up. They didn't do that well at CMU, but hopefully the experience proves useful.
  6. Quaker Valley - There's usually a surprise team in this region, and if that's the case again, QV might lose out. Their feeder program's volatility may lead to some inconsistency going forward.
Honorable mention: There are lots of potential teams I could mention here, as this region has a lot of bubble teams that don't go to invitationals, even though there's one in Pittsburgh now. Peters Township and Montour are both former states mainstays that could have a comeback year. Plum fell from 4th to 10th last year, but a rebound is certainly possible. I suspect last year was the peak for Greater Latrobe, paralleling their junior high team, but one final push is theoretically possible.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

SEPA S B/C Awards Ranking Sheet, courtesy of CrayolaCrayon.

C will definetly be filled out, cannot confirm for B.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

From sheet:

1st: Rustin
2nd: Penncrest
3rd: Conestoga
4th: Garnet Valley
5th: Haverford

6th: Strath Haven
7th: West Chester East
8th: The Shipley School
9th: Great Valley
10th: Phoenixville Area
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
runpitt
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by runpitt »

Preliminary SW Results

C
Team (# of medals)

1-Shady Side (21)
2-Mt. Lebo (19)
3-Norwin (8)
4-Quaker Valley (11)
5-Winchester Thurston (5)
6-Peters Township (2)

B

1-Shady Side
2-Franklin Regional
3-Winchester Thurston
4-Norwin
5-Bedford
6-Quaker Valley
7-Peters Township
klastyioer
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by klastyioer »

congrats to everyone from sw and sepa south today!!!
it's not about the medals; go out there and have fun. make progress, learn a few things and have one heck of a time; that's all that matters.

Check out Klastyioer's Userpage!
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

Congrats to Haverford for making States!!! Their excitement was very contagious : )
These users thanked the author UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F for the post:
Polypcrabio (September 17th, 2020, 6:01 am)
EastVikingsSciOly

Post by EastVikingsSciOly »

congrats to everyone who qualified! :) If anyone has a doc with all the placings, not just the medals, it would be appreciated.
UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F »

EastVikingsSciOly wrote: March 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm congrats to everyone who qualified! :) If anyone has a doc with all the placings, not just the medals, it would be appreciated.
All the competing teams have been e-mailed the passwords to access the respective folders. Not sure if we're supposed to share stuff.
EastVikingsSciOly

Post by EastVikingsSciOly »

UTF-8 U+6211 U+662F wrote: March 4th, 2020, 3:59 pm
EastVikingsSciOly wrote: March 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm congrats to everyone who qualified! :) If anyone has a doc with all the placings, not just the medals, it would be appreciated.
All the competing teams have been e-mailed the passwords to access the respective folders. Not sure if we're supposed to share stuff.
welp, guess i got to wait for my coaches to share those with us.
CrayolaCrayon

Post by CrayolaCrayon »

I know Rustin had a score of 55 and Penncrest had 65.
MIT '25
MIT Wright Stuff ES '22
BirdSO Wright Stuff ES '22

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”