smayya337
Division: Grad
State: VA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Virginia 2020

Post by smayya337 »

dragonfruit35 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:08 am
smayya337 wrote: February 5th, 2020, 2:09 pm
SluffAndRuff wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:28 am Watch for Carson in Div B. Also, as a former LBMS Scioly member, would love to see you guys upset Fairfax in Div C.
What's Carson been up to? Seeing as the team just came back from a seven-year hiatus, I would expect them to take a bit to get going.

Also, I doubt Frost will do as well at states as many people are predicting. Maybe I'm just biased against them, but their rise seems very, very fast. They were 10th and 11th at regionals last year, after all, so unless they made some major changes before this year, it might just be a fluke or a product of the tournament that they participated in.
I wouldn't say this is necessarily them coming out of nowhere - in 2016, they were 5th at states, so it seems possible they could get back to that same level. That being said, they've placed pretty consistently around 10th aside from that, so who knows...

Also, I probably wouldn't predict Lunsford as high as a few people have been putting them (unfortunately). They went through a lot of turnover after last season (coaching change, many of their top kids were eighth graders, etc.), so it probably depends on how well putting together the state team goes.
rip Lunsford—I guess (as usual for Virginia B) nothing is certain outside of the top 3, and within them for that matter...
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
MacintoshJosh
Division: C

Post by MacintoshJosh »

smayya337 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 5:26 am 4. Fairfax (Virginia's Harriton?)
What do you mean when you say "Virginia's Harriton"?
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

MacintoshJosh wrote: February 6th, 2020, 3:58 pm
It's been widely discussed here how Harriton has had some (by their standards) not-so-stellar performances (e.g. MIT last month), yet they still somehow end up doing very well at higher levels of competition. I was just thinking if Fairfax could be considered similarly, i.e. not amazing invy showings but then doing well at states.
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

smayya337 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 4:44 pm
It's been widely discussed here how Harriton has had some (by their standards) not-so-stellar performances (e.g. MIT last month), yet they still somehow end up doing very well at higher levels of competition. I was just thinking if Fairfax could be considered similarly, i.e. not amazing invy showings but then doing well at states.
Harriton has made nationals 27 years in a row. That specific track record is why the discussion is happening.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 6:53 pm
smayya337 wrote: February 6th, 2020, 4:44 pm

Harriton has made nationals 27 years in a row. That specific track record is why the discussion is happening.
I see my comparison is confusing people - I apologize for that.

When I meant "Virginia's Harriton", I meant to compare Harriton on a national level with Fairfax on a state level - both well-respected contenders within their respective levels of competition who may have slipped up at invitationals before but are still always in it at the end of the day. I see how it could have been taken as comparing them both on a national level, which was not what I meant.

Again, the comparison was pretty bad, and I apologize, but hopefully you all can get a sense of what I meant to say (if only slightly).
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

No it's fine, after you explained it I understood what you meant, it was just a little confusing because Harriton always ends up doing well and you put Fairfax at 4th - which isn't really well.
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

MacintoshJosh wrote: February 6th, 2020, 8:10 pm No it's fine, after you explained it I understood what you meant, it was just a little confusing because Harriton always ends up doing well and you put Fairfax at 4th - which isn't really well.
Yeah, the fourth place was why I made that comment. There's always the chance they disrupt the rankings, but I'll wait until after tomorrow to make a judgment.
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

Good luck to everyone else competing at Mary Washington today!
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage
MacintoshJosh

Post by MacintoshJosh »

Tentative Results for UMW Regionals:
1. TJHSST
2. Lake Braddock
3. Fairfax
4. McLean
5. Oakcrest
smayya337

Post by smayya337 »

SluffAndRuff wrote: January 31st, 2020, 9:28 am Also, as a former LBMS Scioly member, would love to see you guys upset Fairfax in Div C.
He got his wish, and he loved it.
TJHSST '22 | UVA '26
smayya337's Userpage

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”