Rhode Island 2020

MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: RI

Rhode Island 2020

Post by MadCow2357 »

Welcome to the beginning of another great season in Rhode Island!

Nearby Invitationals:
Cornell University Invitational (Division C): November 23rd, 2019
Rustin High School Invitational (Division B): January 4th, 2020
Battle at Valley Forge Invitational (Division C): Janurary 11th, 2020 @Conestoga High School
MIT Invitational (Division C): January 25th, 2020
Harvard University Invitational (Division C): February 1st, 2020
Yale University Invitational (Division C): February 1st, 2020
Harvard University Invitational (Division B): February 2nd, 2020
Eagle Invitational (Division B): February 8th, 2020 @Eagle View Middle School
Brown University Invitational (Division C): February 8th, 2020
Princeton University Invitational (Division C): February 8th, 2020
Cornell University Invitational (Division B): February 15th, 2020
University of Pennsylvania Invitational (Division C): February 22nd, 2020

(I'll add the rest as their tournament dates are confirmed)

State Tournament:
Rhode Island State Tournament: April 18th, 2020 @Rhode Island College

Have a great season everyone!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Rhode Island 2020

Post by MadCow2357 »

I know RI is kinda irrelevant and tbh nobody rly cares

but any predicts?

Here are mine (as honest and unbiased as possible)

Div B:
1. Gallagher MS - Earlier in the season, I would have predicted the Wolf Pack 3rd. But it seems that Gallagher hasn't lost any strength from the past three years, even though we'd have exactly 3 returning members from 2019 (team consisted of 1 sixth grader, 2 seventh graders, and 12 eighth graders, all of which I expected to move on from Div B). But my alma mater is looking strong with an 8th place at Harvard (5 medals too!), especially with 4 of the most OP 8th graders from last year (looking at you RockRoll92 :D ) staying for one more season.
2. Barrington MS - Their Harvard performance, at first glance, is relatively underwhelming- their two teams placed 13th and 14th respectively, only getting one 6th place medal during awards. However, superscored, they edge ahead of Gallagher by 15 points. While superscoring cannot accurately indicate a team's true strength, because of overlapping and events and such, Harvard results still show how close the race for 1st will be at RI states. If they can shore up their builds and other weaker events, they have a real chance at toppling the defending champs and making nats.
3. Hope Highlands MS - A relatively new name to the scene, the past few years have only shown improvements for this rookie team. Additionally, with a powerhouse captain (MadDogeDoggo), they will only become stronger this year. However, the lack of invitational results makes it hard to predict how they will square up with other RI teams. I could see them even moving into 2nd or 1st depending on how the day goes.
4. Kickemuit MS - After their breakthrough year in 2018 where they nabbed 2nd, Kickemuit seems to have lost momentum. They dropped to 3rd last year, and their Harvard placement does not suggest any resurgence this season. I could even see them placing lower, potentially 5th or 6th. That being said, they are still a very good team, and only competition day will show what they've been up to.

Other Div B teams I know less about so I'll stop here.

Div C:
1. Barrington HS - We've done decently well at invitationals even with the loss of key seniors from last year. While our states score will probably not be as impressive as last year's 54, I don't see us dropping in strength too too much.
2. Smithfield HS - The Sentinels experienced a pretty average performance at Brown, but they were missing a couple of key team players. Brown was their first invitational, so expect only improvement from them at States. With many incoming 8th graders from Gallagher's 2019 team, I think they will only become stronger and stronger over the next few years.
3. East Greenwich HS - They scare me. A while ago, I rarely heard of them on the Science Olympiad scene. But all of a sudden, they've become almost as strong as Smithfield. If Forensics hadn't been trialed at Brown, they might have actually finished ahead. I could see them possibly taking 2nd this year over Smithfield... only time will tell I guess

Feel free to criticize or add predicts of your own!
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23
MadCow2357
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Re: Rhode Island 2020

Post by MadCow2357 »

Rhode Island States have been cancelled. I will post the official source tomorrow (waiting on my coaches to forward the email?)
These users thanked the author MadCow2357 for the post (total 2):
bernard (March 11th, 2020, 8:07 pm) • Adi1008 (March 12th, 2020, 1:10 am)
MadCow2357's Userpage
Gallagher MS '19
Barrington HS '23

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”