DrewW
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

It's Time!

Post by DrewW »

Happy leap day everyone!

We are entering regional season with three regions competing today. I am in the central region, so I don't compete for another two weeks, but good luck to everybody competing in these next three weeks! We should make states by placing 4th as a team in our region, but you never know. If you don't make states this year, things can change. Who knows? Next year, you may be standing on that stage holding a trophy! Anyways, one final time, good luck and have fun!
Canal Winchester High School, Ohio
Events:
Too Many to List (8)

PPP- 5th at The Ohio State University Invitational 2022
SciolyGuy411
Has thanked: 0

Re: Ohio 2020

Post by SciolyGuy411 »

These users thanked the author SciolyGuy411 for the post:
karmanyaahm (March 11th, 2020, 6:00 pm)
LiteralRhinoceros
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by LiteralRhinoceros »

From COVID-19 thread
nicholasmaurer wrote: March 10th, 2020, 11:52 am The Ohio State Tournament and all remaining Ohio regional tournaments were just cancelled per an email from our state director, Angela Davis.
Dank Memes Area Homeschool 2017-2019

Community MS '19
WW-P HS North '23

Events: DyPlan, GeoMapping, Astro

Userpage
chalker
Division: Grad

Post by chalker »

Here's the actual announcement which was sent out and will be posted shortly to the Ohio SO Website:

Dear Ohio Science Olympiad Community,

As you may be aware, The Ohio State University recently announced that the university is suspending face-to-face instruction and moving to a virtual online classroom model, travel and campus events due to the international outbreak of the Coronavirus (COVID-19).

After extensive deliberation, we have decided to cancel the remaining Ohio Science Olympiad season. This includes all remaining regional tournaments and the 2020 State Tournament. While this is a difficult decision, we feel it is the best way to be proactive in preventing illness. We hope you understand that our event supervisors, coaches, spectators and student participants’ health and safety should always come first.

The state office has communicated with the national office and is supported in focusing on generating excitement for the 2020-2021 season. Some have inquired about the idea of hosting virtual tournaments. However, after speaking with the national office the Science Olympiad’s Commercial General Liability Insurance does not permit virtual tournaments.

As a national Science Olympiad board member and State Director of multiple national award winning teams, I am personally committed to advancing the mission and vision of Science Olympiad but not at the risk of the health and safety of our Science Olympiad family. I am very empathetic to how emotionally devastating this will be for teams, coaches, event supervisors, tournament directors and parents who have all worked hard and made huge sacrifices for the Science Olympiad.

Please feel free to contact me if you have questions. Stay safe and stay healthy!

Sincerely,

Angela D. Davis, State Director

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

Isn't the Ohio state tournament not until April 25th? I get wanting to be cautious, but cancelling this far in advance voyages into overreaction territory. Ohio is not one of the current hotbeds for COVID-19, so I have to question the reasoning behind making such a drastic, irreversible announcement so far in advance, especially if it was not done via mandate form the host school. I really hope there is no sort of "peer pressure" where some states feel like they have to cancel because other states are cancelling, even though circumstances are different, because that would be incredibly short-sighted.

EDIT: Ohio State's suspension of in-person classes is currently through March 30th, from the sources I have found.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
snowyowl
Division: C
State: NY

Post by snowyowl »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm Isn't the Ohio state tournament not until April 25th? I get wanting to be cautious, but cancelling this far in advance voyages into overreaction territory. Ohio is not one of the current hotbeds for COVID-19, so I have to question the reasoning behind making such a drastic, irreversible announcement so far in advance, especially if it was not done via mandate form the host school. I really hope there is no sort of "peer pressure" where some states feel like they have to cancel because other states are cancelling, even though circumstances are different, because that would be incredibly short-sighted.

EDIT: Ohio State's suspension of in-person classes is currently through March 30th, from the sources I have found.
It does feel like a bit of an overreaction, and not taking into account the feelings of the competitors, whereas cancellation was much more understandable in other states.
Syosset High School '24
2023 Events: Dynamic Planet, Forestry, Rocks and Minerals
nicholasmaurer
Coach
Coach

Post by nicholasmaurer »

snowyowl wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:51 pm
EastStroudsburg13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 1:45 pm Isn't the Ohio state tournament not until April 25th? I get wanting to be cautious, but cancelling this far in advance voyages into overreaction territory. Ohio is not one of the current hotbeds for COVID-19, so I have to question the reasoning behind making such a drastic, irreversible announcement so far in advance, especially if it was not done via mandate form the host school. I really hope there is no sort of "peer pressure" where some states feel like they have to cancel because other states are cancelling, even though circumstances are different, because that would be incredibly short-sighted.

It does feel like a bit of an overreaction, and not taking into account the feelings of the competitors, whereas cancellation was much more understandable in other states.
In addition to the decision about on-campus classes you mention, OSU also issued guidance cancelling most non-essential campus events through April 20. My impression is that this period will likely be extended further. I would be shocked if the number and distribution of cases in Ohio and elsewhere does not continue to escalate, despite best efforts at containment. This is especially true given how many people are in transit across the country due to spring break for many schools and colleges.

I have a lot of incredibly disappointed students today, but I do not question the careful, thoughtful consideration I know this decision received by our state director and her team. I know Angela personally, and I know she did not make this decision lightly or without extreme care for the "feelings of the competitors".
Assistant Coach and Alumnus ('14) - Solon High School Science Olympiad
Tournament Director - Northeast Ohio Regional Tournament
Tournament Director - Solon High School Science Olympiad Invitational

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
EastStroudsburg13
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
State: PA

Post by EastStroudsburg13 »

nicholasmaurer wrote: March 10th, 2020, 2:00 pm

In addition to the decision about on-campus classes you mention, OSU also issued guidance cancelling most non-essential campus events through April 20. My impression is that this period will likely be extended further. I would be shocked if the number and distribution of cases in Ohio and elsewhere does not continue to escalate, despite best efforts at containment. This is especially true given how many people are in transit across the country due to spring break for many schools and colleges.

I have a lot of incredibly disappointed students today, but I do not question the careful, thoughtful consideration I know this decision received by our state director and her team. I know Angela personally, and I know she did not make this decision lightly or without extreme care for the "feelings of the competitors".
Considering that the period has not actually yet been extended further, I still believe the decision is premature. I believe you that the director would not make such a decision lightly, but I still maintain it is an overreaction to do so this early. It reeks of getting carried away.

There is nothing wrong with taking a wait-and-see approach and warning students and coaches that the state tournament may be cancelled. That should be the default except in drastic cases, and I have trouble seeing Ohio as such a case.
East Stroudsburg South Class of 2012, Alumnus of JT Lambert, Drexel University Class of 2017

Helpful Links
Wiki
Wiki Pages that Need Work
FAQ and SciOly FAQ Wiki
Chat (See IRC Wiki for more info)
BBCode Wiki

So long, and thanks for all the Future Dictator titles!
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote: March 10th, 2020, 2:21 pm
nicholasmaurer wrote: March 10th, 2020, 2:00 pm

Considering that the period has not actually yet been extended further, I still believe the decision is premature. I believe you that the director would not make such a decision lightly, but I still maintain it is an overreaction to do so this early. It reeks of getting carried away.

There is nothing wrong with taking a wait-and-see approach and warning students and coaches that the state tournament may be cancelled. That should be the default except in drastic cases, and I have trouble seeing Ohio as such a case.
I would have to concur. I do think this could have waited until OSU actually extends, assuming they do so.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”