Division: Grad
State: ID

Idaho 2020

Post by Tailsfan101 »

www.statescioly.org/idaho

Idaho State Tournament: April 18th, 2020 @ Boise State University

Eastern Idaho Regional: April 4th, 2020 @ Idaho State University

Mini-invitationals
Saint Joseph's Catholic School: November 9th, 2019 (Experimental Design B/C, Write It Do It B/C, Dynamic Planet B/C, Road Scholar B, GeoLogic Mapping C)
Fairmont Junior High School: December 14th, 2019 (Machines B/C, Water Quality B/C, Disease Detectives B/C, Reach for the Stars B, Astronomy C)
Kuna Middle School: January 18th, 2020 (Elastic Launched Glider B, Wright Stuff C, Ping Pong Parachute B/C, Game On B, Codebusters C, Fossils B/C, Circuit Lab B/C, Heredity B, Designer Genes C)
Bishop Kelly High School: February 1st, 2020 (Elastic Launched Glider B, Wright Stuff C, Ping Pong Parachute B/C, Food Science B, Chemistry Lab C, Crime Busters B, Forensics C, Meteorology B, Detector Building C, Density Lab B, Protein Modeling C)
Capital High School: March 7th, 2020 (Ornithology B/C, Anatomy and Physiology B/C, Mission Possible B, Sounds of Music C)
Location TBD: March 21st, 2020 (Boomilever B/C, Crime Busters B, Mousetrap Vehicle B, Gravity Vehicle C)

Full Division B (Div. C crossover events) invitational @ North Junior High School: February 22nd, 2020

Last updated January 29th, 2020
Last edited by Tailsfan101 on January 29th, 2020, 9:23 am, edited 8 times in total.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Re: Idaho 2020

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Update: The first mini-invitational is scheduled for November 9th at Saint Joseph's Catholic School. Events that will be run are Experimental Design B/C, Write It Do It B/C, Dynamic Planet B/C, Road Scholar B, and GeoLogic Mapping C.
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
neversl4ck
Division: C
Been thanked: 0

Post by neversl4ck »

I'll be there for WIDI and (possibly) Experimental Design!
“the grind is daily” -swim coach
2020 events: forensics, experimental design, water quality, WIDI
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The second mini-invite has been announced; it will be at Fairmont Junior High School on December 14th. Events are Machines B/C, Water Quality B/C, Disease Detectives B/C, Reach for the Stars B, and Astronomy C.

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Most of the details for the rest of the mini-invites have now been announced:

Kuna Middle School, January 18th: Elastic Launched Glider B, Wright Stuff C, Ping Pong Parachute B/C, Game On B, Codebusters C, Fossils B/C, Circuit Lab B/C, Heredity B, Designer Genes C
Bishop Kelly High School, February 1st: Food Science B, Chemistry Lab C, Crime Busters B, Forensics C, Meteorology B, Detector Building C, Density Lab B, Protein Modeling C
March 7th, Location TBD: Ornithology B/C, Anatomy and Physiology B/C, Mission Possible B, Sounds of Music C
March 21st, Location TBD: Boomilever B/C, Crime Busters B, Mousetrap Vehicle B, Gravity Vehicle C (Flight events again TBD)

Yes, it appears that Crime Busters (and perhaps the flight events) will be run twice.

Also, the date for the Eastern Idaho Regional has been set at April 4th, 2020.

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Hey, our state website finally gave us some helpful information!

The state schedule: https://statescioly.org/data/org/idaho/ ... 191113.pdf

Information on the full Division B North JH invitational: https://statescioly.org/data/org/idaho/ ... 202020.pdf
All Division B events will be run, as well as the following 11 Division C events (others TBD): Anatomy and Physiology, Boomilever, Circuit Lab, Disease Detectives, Dynamic Planet, Experimental Design, Fossils, Ornithology, Ping Pong Parachute, Water Quality, Write It Do It

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The location for the March 7th mini-invite will be Capital High School. Also, the event list for the April 4th Eastern Idaho Regional has been announced: Boomilever, Crime Busters, Elastic Launched Glider, Experimental Design, Fossils, Heredity, Mousetrap Vehicle, Reach for the Stars, Road Scholar, and Write It Do It

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Nebo Invitational results (Utah)
1. Treasure Valley Homeschool (74)
2. West High School 1 (111)
3. Maple Mountain High School 2 (121)
4. Maple Mountain High School 1 (152)
5. Utah County Academy of Sciences (191)
6. Riverton High School (211)

We had a lot of fun at this tournament, and are very glad we had the opportunity to compete and do well. Thanks to Maple Mountain HS for hosting!

EDIT: Received more scores
Last edited by Tailsfan101 on February 10th, 2020, 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

Test opinions:

Designer Genes (1st) - This was easily my favorite test on the day. It covered a wide variety of questions, and was surprisingly long, keeping us working the entire time. A couple questions were a little vague, and there may have been one or two errors in grading, but overall, the pros outweighed the cons. Great job the the test writer of this! 9/10

GeoLogic Mapping (1st) - I had multiple issues with this test. First of all, it was much too short, only having around 20 questions. The test itself wasn't a very good representation of the rules, and perhaps focused on some areas too much, as about 1/3 of the test was on depositional environments. On the other hand, I definitely didn't expect to win, so that was a nice surprise. 4/10

Protein Modeling (2nd) - Upon discovering the test was only four pages long, I figured we'd be done quite quickly. Much to our surprise, the test was extremely difficult, and we took almost the entire time. The multiple choice section asked questions that probably everyone had to guess on. The short answer questions seemed more applicable to the rules, and the JMOL exploration section was well done. It probably didn't separate the teams very well at the bottom, and would have been much better if it had a section with easier questions. All three of us were quite surprised that we didn't win, so the team that beat us must be very strong at this event. 6/10

Disease Detectives (3rd) - Soloing this event was harder than I expected, as the test kept me working the entire time. My only regret was that I couldn't quite finish the test. It was of a good length, but perhaps should have had a bit less general knowledge to focus on outbreak scenarios more. The amount of writing I had to do was immense, and I was disappointed that for some questions I spent quite some time on, I didn't get any points. As one example, it asked what the four main epidemiological studies were and to describe them, and my section on "Experimental" was marked as completely wrong. I think the grading should have been a bit more lenient. Overall, the test itself was good, but the grading needed work. 7/10

Overall (1st) - Maple Mountain's campus was a very nice place to host this tournament. Many of the tests seemed to have problems, which brought the overall quality down a bit. The personnel were not aware of impounds, Dynamic Planet was run in stations and was completely untimed, quite a few events were unclear on when to start the test, and the Detector Building and Astronomy supervisors were late. The fact that many rooms held two events each surprisingly wasn't a major problem. Probably the best thing about this competition was that the awards started at about 2:50pm, only five minutes after it was scheduled. I appreciated that top six were announced, despite only giving medals to top three, and the screen used for awards was very helpful. Our team left feeling very satisfied with how we did, despite only having 12 students. We placed top six in 22 events and earned 15 medals, which included seven golds, five silvers, and three bronzes. Congratulations to all teams that competed, we had a lot of fun!

I have no regrets.
Tailsfan101

Post by Tailsfan101 »

The Treasure Valley Homeschool team won today's North JH Invitational with competition from North JH, Fairmont JH, St. Joseph's Catholic School, and Kuna MS. More details coming soon.

EDIT: The top three are as follows.
1. Treasure Valley Homeschool (15 medals)
2. St. Joseph's Catholic School (17 medals)
3. Fairmont Junior High School (15 medals)

I have no regrets.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”