2. Hopkins JH (107)
3. Creekside MS (131)
4. Fred E. Weibel Elementary (172)
5. Christensen MS (194)
SOPomo
Has thanked: 0

Re: Northern California 2020

Post by SOPomo »

These suspensions or postponements may be headed to NorCal tournaments as well. From Lynbrook's website: https://lhs.fuhsd.org/news

Relevant part: At this time, utilizing this new guidance, we have decided the following:

To cancel all travel to school-sponsored festivals and competitions, including trips both inside and outside of California until April 3.

What can this mean for all the regionals and state tournies left?
SentientJello
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Incoming NorCal State & Santa Clara Regionals Cancellation?

Post by SentientJello »

With the cancellation of the SoCal State Tournament, does anyone think COVID-19 could also affect NorCal State or the last NorCal Regionals tournament, Santa Clara? I think these two tournaments are increasingly likely to be cancelled.
Current Div C Competitor, Former OVMS Competitor
2016/2019/2020: Astronomy/Reach for the Stars, Dynamic Planet, Fossils
2018: Astronomy, Dynamic Planet, Fermi Questions
2017: Dynamic Planet, Reach for the Stars, Rocks and Minerals
SONT 2017 SoCal Div B Competitor
Godspeed
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Incoming NorCal State & Santa Clara Regionals Cancellation?

Post by Godspeed »

SentientJello wrote: March 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm With the cancellation of the SoCal State Tournament, does anyone think COVID-19 could also affect NorCal State or the last NorCal Regionals tournament, Santa Clara? I think these two tournaments are increasingly likely to be cancelled.
I think that NorCal should’ve been canceled, since their outbreak of Coronavirus is worse than it is in SoCal.
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

Godspeed wrote: March 8th, 2020, 10:49 am
SentientJello wrote: March 7th, 2020, 12:26 pm With the cancellation of the SoCal State Tournament, does anyone think COVID-19 could also affect NorCal State or the last NorCal Regionals tournament, Santa Clara? I think these two tournaments are increasingly likely to be cancelled.
I think that NorCal should’ve been canceled, since their outbreak of Coronavirus is worse than it is in SoCal.
Only 8.1% of cases were 20-somethings, 1.2% were teens, and 0.9% were 9 or younger. The World Health Organization mission to China found that 78% of the cases reported as of Feb. 20 were in people ages 30 to 69. The death rate for those under the age of 30 is approximately 0.2% and it is significantly lower for those below the age or 20.

The data suggests that you could hold a tournament with the following provisions:

1. All event supervisors should be under the age of 30 or have recently tested negative for COVID-19.
2. No spectators at build events
3. No parents/coaches allowed inside buildings and teams maintain social distancing outside in their camp locations.
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

mnoga wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:09 am
Only 8.1% of cases were 20-somethings, 1.2% were teens, and 0.9% were 9 or younger. The World Health Organization mission to China found that 78% of the cases reported as of Feb. 20 were in people ages 30 to 69. The death rate for those under the age of 30 is approximately 0.2% and it is significantly lower for those below the age or 20.

The data suggests that you could hold a tournament with the following provisions:

1. All event supervisors should be under the age of 30 or have recently tested negative for COVID-19.
3. No parents/coaches allowed inside buildings and teams maintain social distancing outside in their camp locations.
Any such risk is still reason for cancelation. You put more people at risk by continuing it. Testing has been relatively inefficient so far and while we do have better healthcare, it is in no way sufficient enough to rely on. While we might have a stronger chance of surviving than other age groups, there's an even higher risk that we spread it to people like our parents and coaches who are much older and more susceptible. Would you really want to be responsible for their suffering? I understand that everyone is disappointed with the threat of cancelation, I am very disappointed that my state tournament was already canceled, but if we continue it, we risk worsening the problem. Our best efforts should be directed towards prevention rather than taking a chance like this. If we allow this issue to persist, that increases the chances that there won't even be a next season either.
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by bernard »

mnoga wrote: March 8th, 2020, 11:09 am

Young attendees of the tournament will return home to their families that include individuals who are older and may also have underlying health conditions.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Post by Unome »

Cancellation is not about the severity of the outbreak. It is primarily about what the host and/or organization chooses to do, which may or may not have much to do with the outbreak situation.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
mnoga

Post by mnoga »

Unome wrote: March 8th, 2020, 12:55 pm
Cancellation is not about the severity of the outbreak. It is primarily about what the host and/or organization chooses to do, which may or may not have much to do with the outbreak situation.
Here's the latest news from Santa Clara County:

March 9, 7:00 p.m. Santa Clara County — the Bay Area county with the highest number of known coronavirus cases — reported six additional cases of the virus and banned large gatherings of individuals. During a Monday night press conference, officials stated that the county now has 43 cases — up from the 37 it was at earlier in the day — and large gatherings of over 1,000 people are now prohibited.

The ban on gatherings does not apply to airports, shopping malls, grocery stores or offices, and is enforceable by both the sheriff's office and local police departments. It goes into effect on Wednesday, and could last three weeks.

Return to “2020 Regionals & States”