2020 National Tournament: North Carolina State University

jaggie34
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: 2020 National Tournament: North Carolina State University

Post by jaggie34 » March 2nd, 2020, 10:56 am

Does anyone know who won West Virginia's state tournament?
Boca Raton High School -> Georgia Tech
Circuit Lab writer/co-writer: UT Austin, Rickards, Yosemite, Mira Loma, Northern Florida Regionals, Yale, Case Western, Golden Gate, Princeton, Georgia States
Florida Game On C and Fermi Questions C champion!
and Circuit Lab too I guess

lumosityfan
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: TX
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by lumosityfan » March 3rd, 2020, 7:44 am

jaggie34 wrote:
March 2nd, 2020, 10:56 am
Does anyone know who won West Virginia's state tournament?
From this tweet (https://twitter.com/RGBlack316/status/1 ... 3239552001) Cabell Midland High School won.
John P. Stevens Class of 2015 (Go Hawks!)
Columbia University Class of 2019 (Go Lions!)

boomifailure
Division: C
State: MI
Has thanked: 0

Post by boomifailure » March 5th, 2020, 6:28 am

So, hot topic in some of the state channels is that states/regionals are being postponed. So, I was wondering if a postponement may happen to nationals if the new corona-virus continues to grow? I'm wondering this because nationals isn't for awhile and by then who knows how big or small it will be. Also, sporting events are starting to get cancelled and nationals is basically a small scaled sporting event.

bernard
Administrator
Administrator
State: WA

Post by bernard » March 5th, 2020, 8:22 am

boomifailure wrote:
March 5th, 2020, 6:28 am
So, hot topic in some of the state channels is that states/regionals are being postponed. So, I was wondering if a postponement may happen to nationals if the new corona-virus continues to grow? I'm wondering this because nationals isn't for awhile and by then who knows how big or small it will be. Also, sporting events are starting to get cancelled and nationals is basically a small scaled sporting event.
We can look to the national website (soinc.org) for updates. With a health situation that is still evolving and more than two months until the tournament, it may be too early to make reliable predictions.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there."
Rate my tests!

NadiaT
State: NY

Post by NadiaT » March 7th, 2020, 8:43 am

I just found out that Southern California Science Olympiad states has been cancelled (https://www.socalscioly.org/) and just wanted to say that I'm super sorry for all the SoCal teams. I know how much work we all put into this and how disappointing it must be. Hopefully nothing else is cancelled.
Fayetteville Manlius High School
Class of 2022
20-21 Events: Disease Detectives, Water Quality

smayya337
State: VA

Post by smayya337 » March 7th, 2020, 12:13 pm

NadiaT wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 8:43 am
I just found out that Southern California Science Olympiad states has been cancelled (https://www.socalscioly.org/) and just wanted to say that I'm super sorry for all the SoCal teams. I know how much work we all put into this and how disappointing it must be. Hopefully nothing else is cancelled.
I agree, it sucks that they had to cancel the tournament. We're scared of that happening over here in VA, too.

Unfortunately, SoCal probably won't be the last state to do something like this, begging the question: what happens with a state's bids if their state tournament is cancelled? Does the state pick teams to attend nats, or does no one go from there?

Here's hoping nats doesn't go the same way as SoCal states...
TJHSST '22
2021 Events: Code/Detector/Sounds
smayya337's Userpage

venules
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NC
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Post by venules » March 7th, 2020, 1:16 pm

There's already been some speculation on the forum that nationals will be cancelled or rescheduled. NCSO sent out an email yesterday saying that there are currently no planned changes to the state or national tournaments at NC State, and the same statement can be found here.
NCSO Alumna, '13-19 | Duke University '23

MitchinhoGray
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by MitchinhoGray » March 7th, 2020, 1:23 pm

smayya337 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 12:13 pm
NadiaT wrote:
I agree, it sucks that they had to cancel the tournament. We're scared of that happening over here in VA, too.

Unfortunately, SoCal probably won't be the last state to do something like this, begging the question: what happens with a state's bids if their state tournament is cancelled? Does the state pick teams to attend nats, or does no one go from there?

This is complete speculation, but it may be possible that the state sends the team with the lowest score across any regional competition in their state. This has never happened with scioly, but I personally experienced it with a different competition last year. Last year, it was a snowstorm that prevented the state competition from taking place, so state organizers just looked at regional scores and gave our team (historically second best) the national bid.
Again, this wasn't for scioly, so this is just speculation.
Chino Hills Scioly '21
23rd - A+P - Chino Hills Mock
17th - Designer Genes - Chino Hills Mock

SilverBreeze
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: CA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by SilverBreeze » March 7th, 2020, 1:37 pm

MitchinhoGray wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 1:23 pm
smayya337 wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 12:13 pm
NadiaT wrote:

This is complete speculation, but it may be possible that the state sends the team with the lowest score across any regional competition in their state. This has never happened with scioly, but I personally experienced it with a different competition last year. Last year, it was a snowstorm that prevented the state competition from taking place, so state organizers just looked at regional scores and gave our team (historically second best) the national bid.
I hope it won't be a lottery...
Troy SciOly 2019 - now
Suzanne SciOly 2016 - 2019
Events this season: Water Quality, Forensics, Ornithology, (some experience in DP)

The team may be gone, but the program lives on...

MacintoshJosh
State: VA

Post by MacintoshJosh » March 7th, 2020, 2:55 pm

MitchinhoGray wrote:
March 7th, 2020, 1:23 pm
Which state were you Mitchinho? :?:
Lake Braddock Secondary School
Anatomy - Code - Detector - Protein

Return to “2020 Nationals”