ali941
Division: C
State: CA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Assassination 103: Murder by Death

Post by ali941 » August 1st, 2013, 4:29 pm

2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?

TwelveSquared
State: KS

Post by TwelveSquared » August 1st, 2013, 4:33 pm

ali941 wrote:
Cedavis6 wrote:Ok, I've thought it over a little, and I think the Sassy's hydrogen.
She loves writing. The storylines are elaborate, creative, and well-written. Also, she probably really wanted to be Sassy.
But I like this game so much that I hope that this is wrong.
If that is true, then that was a very risky first clue.

About this clue, I've confirmed that the structure is theobromine, so I'm gonna go ahead and protect Koko. If you guys want, you can check Sassy's instructions with space scientist's other possible ideas. I'm too lazy to. :D
I've been working on that, trying out different ideas of what the assassin meant by certain things, namely, the capping protons. No other compound I tried was of any realistic significance. So, space scientist's formula seems to be correct. I'll keep working on it.

EDIT:
space scientist wrote:It has been a little while since I last helped on the assassination games, but I thought that I could try to solve this clue. I followed the instructions (counting the protons as hydrogen) and got the chemical formula C7H8N4O2, which could refer to paraxanthine, theophylline, or theobromine. Personally, I think that the clue refers to theobromine, since the clue mentions dessert, and theobromine is found in chocolate. However, I don't fully know what the compound is supposed to look like, since I just kept track of the elements within the compound.

Edit: Theobromine could point to hotchocolate123 (but she has only participated in game 96) or Kokonilly (theobromine->chocolate->cocoa->Koko->Kokonilly). However, someone should confirm that the instructions actually lead to theobromine before we start protecting based on it.
It could also refer to theophylline, since it is found in cocoa beans --> Kokonilly
Tonganoxie High School
Astronomy, Geologic Mapping, Robot Arm, Hydrogeology

fozendog
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by fozendog » August 1st, 2013, 5:05 pm

I think that the Koko protection is correct so I will protect myself because I don't want an officer dead and I am very selfish. :P

I'll hold off to accuse hydrogen cause I'm not sure she would pick herself, although it is a possibility. Let's wait for an actual ID clue before we start throwing out names XD
Stanford '19
Camas Science Olympiad Alumnus
Events: Protein Modeling, Cell Biology, Disease Detectives, Experimental Design, Dynamic Planet, Water Quality

mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mrburrito » August 1st, 2013, 5:23 pm

If it is Kokonilly, the cause of death is death by chocolate.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian » August 1st, 2013, 5:26 pm

I protect Phenylethylamine because Theobromine sounds like Phenylethylamine and I am really bad at Chemistry.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

ScienceOlympian
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by ScienceOlympian » August 1st, 2013, 5:26 pm

OOPS! Sorry guys. Double Post.
2017: Anatomy and Physiology, Chemistry Lab, Materials Science, Experimental Design, Hydrogeology
ScienceOlympian's Userpage

Crazy Puny Man
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by Crazy Puny Man » August 1st, 2013, 6:27 pm

ali941 wrote:About this clue, I've confirmed that the structure is theobromine, so I'm gonna go ahead and protect Koko. If you guys want, you can check Sassy's instructions with space scientist's other possible ideas. I'm too lazy to. :D
You're 14 and you know organic??? :shock:

Then again...I was 15 when I learned it...nevermind :roll:

But it makes sense, since the sassy also said "Schrodingers' cat's dessert" and chocolate is poisonous to cats & dogs

Also, thehydrogenpoptart has been absent from this game...

Skink
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: IL

Post by Skink » August 1st, 2013, 6:43 pm

I, too, can confirm that it's theobromine. My final structure matches the one on the Wikipedia page. The first one was really sloppy because I wasn't expecting it to be cyclic, but I have to commend the Sassy for such a fun clue that *works*.
It's not paraxanthine because the -CH3 (also called a methyl group) isn't between the C=O groups. That's from the beginning of the clue, so, even if I or someone else messed up while drawing the structure, we can immediately rule this one out. It's not theophylline for the same reason.

So, what the heck is theobromine? I donno. :lol: After searching, it's a nasty substance that's consumable in small amounts as found in chocolate. Thus, I agree that hotchocolate-numbers is the best protection to make here.

If anyone's curious how the structure is arrived at, you can try to follow my mess here. The top is just carbon monoxide. Then I drew a line when I realized what we were doing. Directly underneath the line is literally following the instructions. You'll notice I bonded the nitrogen to the carbon near the end and thought it was weird because that's (almost) impossible. I reread the clue and moved over the carbon scratching out the mistake. Voila. Follow from the top, and anyone can probably make sense of this.
To the bottom right is me rewriting that structure to reflect the fact it was cyclic before looking up what this actually was. Fortunately, it appears to match theobromine perfectly. I drew the top right structure based on mine without electron pairs to more closely fit the ones you find online to be sure.

Fun fact: methyl groups in all three positions would make it caffeine.

ali941

Post by ali941 » August 1st, 2013, 6:58 pm

Crazy Puny Man wrote:
ali941 wrote:About this clue, I've confirmed that the structure is theobromine, so I'm gonna go ahead and protect Koko. If you guys want, you can check Sassy's instructions with space scientist's other possible ideas. I'm too lazy to. :D
You're 14 and you know organic??? :shock:

Then again...I was 15 when I learned it...nevermind :roll:

But it makes sense, since the sassy also said "Schrodingers' cat's dessert" and chocolate is poisonous to cats & dogs

Also, thehydrogenpoptart has been absent from this game...
Nahh, I'm not that smart. It's just a matter of following sassy's instructions. I also took what other people said, about protons being hydrogen, and stuff. Drew a couple diagrams, fussed around, and compared it to a diagram for theobromine. Almost identical. Compared the theobromine diagram to sassy's directions, identical.
I also had to look up what a methyl group was. :oops:
2013 Events:
Sounds of Music, Rocks and Minerals, Dynamic Planet, Metric Mastery: 2nd, Regionals

Hopeful 2014 events:
Dynamic Planet, Rocks and Minerals, Technical Problem Solving, Designer Genes, Astronomy*, MagLev*

IM AN ALICORN
The sky ain't sky blue. Who'da thunk it?

mrburrito
Division: B
State: TN

Post by mrburrito » August 1st, 2013, 7:08 pm

I protect hotchocolate123 because I want an extra accustation.
I bet you had to read this twice

Meliores Sumus Te

Visit my Wiki page: http://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/Mrburrito

Return to “Assassinator Games”