thesammak
Division: C
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by thesammak »

This is the first year I am going to attempt to use a online software to create a design and test it there. I am trying to decide wether to use Autodesk Inventor, which my school already has, or try and pay for a couple months subscription to SkyCiv. Been making booms for two years now. Any ideas would be great
jinhusong
Division: C
State: CA

Post by jinhusong »

If the competition will use SkiCiv, please start to play with it as soon as possible. Treat it as a computer game and try to find out its laws. It does not follow physics laws exactly. Try all kind of possibilities, go extreme.
These users thanked the author jinhusong for the post:
xiangyu (February 7th, 2021, 5:25 pm)
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

So I know not many competitions are doing Boomilever but I had a question. I'm sure that this has come up before. I realize this is not the official place for clarifications yadda yadda yadda.

The combined mass of the sand, bucket, testing apparatus must be between 15,100 g and 15,200 g. So if the boom breaks after it has hit 15,000, but before the entire load has been reached, does it get the 5,000 g bonus?
Last edited by jgrischow1 on February 22nd, 2021, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by bernard »

jgrischow1 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm So I know not many competitions are doing Boomilever but I had a question. I'm sure that this has come up before. I realize this is not the official place for clarifications yadda yadda yadda.

The combined mass of the sand, bucket, testing apparatus must be between 15,100 g and 15,200 g. So if the boom breaks after it has hit 15,000, but before the entire load has been reached, does it get the 5,000 g bonus?
Yes, if the Load Supported is 15,000 g, then by 6.c. the Bonus of 5,000 g is earned. The requirement that the mass of the Loading Assembly and sand in the bucket be 15,100–15,200 g before loading ensures that with some loss of sand, teams can still load up to at least 15,000 g.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jgrischow1
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

bernard wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 10:55 pm
jgrischow1 wrote: February 22nd, 2021, 1:09 pm So I know not many competitions are doing Boomilever but I had a question. I'm sure that this has come up before. I realize this is not the official place for clarifications yadda yadda yadda.

Yes, if the Load Supported is 15,000 g, then by 6.c. the Bonus of 5,000 g is earned. The requirement that the mass of the Loading Assembly and sand in the bucket be 15,100–15,200 g before loading ensures that with some loss of sand, teams can still load up to at least 15,000 g.
That's what I thought, thanks!
mklinger
State: MI

Post by mklinger »

Hi! Someone over on the Nationals sub-forum asked about boomi scores this year and I wanted to share my response here in case anyone was still following this thread:

-----
I helped coach the team that got second place Div B this year (Slauson) and their score was 2491. We didn't have a lot of time to optimize the build. Most of my work over the past 2 years of boomi was with the Pioneer High School Division C team. That team placed 3rd Nationally with a 2217 score. Again, we didn't have much time to build and optimize this year due to COVID. The actual boomi we wound up using was a candidate we had for the State competition last year and was built on Jan 25th, 2020!! We did re-test it of course, but our several newer builds were good, actually right around 2300, they didn't survive our pre-testing routine to guarantee a 15kg competition day.

Our team best ever, not in a competition, for Div C boomi with this year's rules was 2587.

I think a 3000+ Div B boomi would definitely be possible with the proper focus, maybe even 3100+ if you took the risk of only holding 15 kg once and not pre-testing it.

BTW, my daughter is now graduating from Science Olympiad, so my plan to give back to the larger community is to create a YouTube channel that specializes in the structural balsa events. Over the past 6+ years, I have helped teams build nationally competitive bridges, towers, and now boomis.

I'm about ready to post my intro video on my channel. Right now there are just a couple high speed camera things I've been playing around with, but over the summer, I'll get more into of the specifics of how our teams were able to build these devices.
-----

I just posted the intro video for my channel if you want to check it out: https://youtu.be/-r0UY3RrfCA

If you have any questions or ideas for the channel, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks!!

Marc
Last edited by mklinger on May 29th, 2021, 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author mklinger for the post (total 4):
bernard (May 29th, 2021, 9:27 pm) • xiangyu (May 30th, 2021, 8:10 am) • drcubbin (May 31st, 2021, 8:33 am) • sneepity (June 1st, 2021, 4:42 am)
Pebble
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

mklinger wrote: May 29th, 2021, 2:28 pm Hi! Someone over on the Nationals sub-forum asked about boomi scores this year and I wanted to share my response here in case anyone was still following this thread:

-----
I helped coach the team that got second place Div B this year (Slauson) and their score was 2491. We didn't have a lot of time to optimize the build. Most of my work over the past 2 years of boomi was with the Pioneer High School Division C team. That team placed 3rd Nationally with a 2217 score. Again, we didn't have much time to build and optimize this year due to COVID. The actual boomi we wound up using was a candidate we had for the State competition last year and was built on Jan 25th, 2020!! We did re-test it of course, but our several newer builds were good, actually right around 2300, they didn't survive our pre-testing routine to guarantee a 15kg competition day.

Our team best ever, not in a competition, for Div C boomi with this year's rules was 2587.

I think a 3000+ Div B boomi would definitely be possible with the proper focus, maybe even 3100+ if you took the risk of only holding 15 kg once and not pre-testing it.

BTW, my daughter is now graduating from Science Olympiad, so my plan to give back to the larger community is to create a YouTube channel that specializes in the structural balsa events. Over the past 6+ years, I have helped teams build nationally competitive bridges, towers, and now boomis.

I'm about ready to post my intro video on my channel. Right now there are just a couple high speed camera things I've been playing around with, but over the summer, I'll get more into of the specifics of how our teams were able to build these devices.
-----

I just posted the intro video for my channel if you want to check it out: https://youtu.be/-r0UY3RrfCA

If you have any questions or ideas for the channel, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks!!

Marc
Was boomi a trial event in some competitions this year due to Covid?
These users thanked the author Pebble for the post:
drcubbin (July 13th, 2021, 12:45 pm)
ok
mklinger
State: MI

Post by mklinger »

[/quote]
[/quote]

Yeah, we had one Invitational this year where we could submit a video of our boomi test, which went well. Our State (Michigan) competition had it as a trial event this year but we didn't compete due to timing issues. It was also a trial event at Nationals and was run really well. It was basically a live Zoom event so it was just as strict as being there in person. It's too bad more competitions didn't do that this year. I was not a fan of Digital Structures at all. Way too many issues with that software and the designs were nothing close to realistic. I suppose it was better than nothing at all, but not much. DS should have been a trial event all year IMHO due to the issues involved.
Pebble
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

mklinger wrote: June 7th, 2021, 7:27 am
[/quote]

Yeah, we had one Invitational this year where we could submit a video of our boomi test, which went well. Our State (Michigan) competition had it as a trial event this year but we didn't compete due to timing issues. It was also a trial event at Nationals and was run really well. It was basically a live Zoom event so it was just as strict as being there in person. It's too bad more competitions didn't do that this year. I was not a fan of Digital Structures at all. Way too many issues with that software and the designs were nothing close to realistic. I suppose it was better than nothing at all, but not much. DS should have been a trial event all year IMHO due to the issues involved.
[/quote]

I agree, the DS software really didn't work. I managed to get a score around 13000 with a boomilever that doesn't even look like it would work.
ok

Return to “Boomilever B/C”