Bananasaurus
Division: B
State: PA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Bananasaurus »

yeah the digital structures software made designs that wouldn't even be makeable hold a ridiculous amount of weight
Every Day Is A Change To Be Better...
Medal Count:38
sneepity
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by sneepity »

Bananasaurus wrote: June 28th, 2021, 6:17 am yeah the digital structures software made designs that wouldn't even be makeable hold a ridiculous amount of weight
Hopefully some comps will be in person this season and we can actually build 🤧
Not boomi but other builds ofc
But yeah I felt like because of the software, so many factors have been rules out that builders had to care about before (ex: strength of individual sticks, glue types, types of glue joint, moisture etc)
Last edited by sneepity on June 28th, 2021, 6:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
B)
Pebble
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

If the software were accurate it would actually be really helpful for making boomilevers but no, the software is mainly for industrial purposes so I think they view small things like wood grain etc. as important. Also, those things vary even if you use the same design so idk.
ok
drcubbin
State: NY

Post by drcubbin »

Pebble wrote: June 7th, 2021, 6:02 am
mklinger wrote: May 29th, 2021, 2:28 pm Hi! Someone over on the Nationals sub-forum asked about boomi scores this year and I wanted to share my response here in case anyone was still following this thread:

-----
I helped coach the team that got second place Div B this year (Slauson) and their score was 2491. We didn't have a lot of time to optimize the build. Most of my work over the past 2 years of boomi was with the Pioneer High School Division C team. That team placed 3rd Nationally with a 2217 score. Again, we didn't have much time to build and optimize this year due to COVID. The actual boomi we wound up using was a candidate we had for the State competition last year and was built on Jan 25th, 2020!! We did re-test it of course, but our several newer builds were good, actually right around 2300, they didn't survive our pre-testing routine to guarantee a 15kg competition day.

Our team best ever, not in a competition, for Div C boomi with this year's rules was 2587.

I think a 3000+ Div B boomi would definitely be possible with the proper focus, maybe even 3100+ if you took the risk of only holding 15 kg once and not pre-testing it.

BTW, my daughter is now graduating from Science Olympiad, so my plan to give back to the larger community is to create a YouTube channel that specializes in the structural balsa events. Over the past 6+ years, I have helped teams build nationally competitive bridges, towers, and now boomis.

I'm about ready to post my intro video on my channel. Right now there are just a couple high speed camera things I've been playing around with, but over the summer, I'll get more into of the specifics of how our teams were able to build these devices.
-----

I just posted the intro video for my channel if you want to check it out: https://youtu.be/-r0UY3RrfCA

If you have any questions or ideas for the channel, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks!!

Thanks Pebble! I'm sure there are plenty of coaches out there wondering where all the parents like you are. Great job on the YouTube site :)
These users thanked the author drcubbin for the post:
mklinger (July 14th, 2021, 4:44 am)
mklinger
State: MI

Post by mklinger »

drcubbin wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:26 pm Thanks Pebble! I'm sure there are plenty of coaches out there wondering where all the parents like you are. Great job on the YouTube site :)
Hi drcubbin, thanks! That is actually my YouTube channel. I am looking forward to this season. While I won't have a specific team I'll be helping out exclusively this year, I think I'm going to build devices to the new rules and document them on my channel. This will allow all teams to have the advantage of seeing what are hopefully good designs to use as a starting point to inspire them to be more competitive!
Last edited by mklinger on July 14th, 2021, 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author mklinger for the post:
drcubbin (July 16th, 2021, 11:42 am)
Pebble
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

drcubbin wrote: July 13th, 2021, 1:26 pm
Pebble wrote: June 7th, 2021, 6:02 am
mklinger wrote: May 29th, 2021, 2:28 pm Hi! Someone over on the Nationals sub-forum asked about boomi scores this year and I wanted to share my response here in case anyone was still following this thread:

-----
I helped coach the team that got second place Div B this year (Slauson) and their score was 2491. We didn't have a lot of time to optimize the build. Most of my work over the past 2 years of boomi was with the Pioneer High School Division C team. That team placed 3rd Nationally with a 2217 score. Again, we didn't have much time to build and optimize this year due to COVID. The actual boomi we wound up using was a candidate we had for the State competition last year and was built on Jan 25th, 2020!! We did re-test it of course, but our several newer builds were good, actually right around 2300, they didn't survive our pre-testing routine to guarantee a 15kg competition day.

Our team best ever, not in a competition, for Div C boomi with this year's rules was 2587.

I think a 3000+ Div B boomi would definitely be possible with the proper focus, maybe even 3100+ if you took the risk of only holding 15 kg once and not pre-testing it.

BTW, my daughter is now graduating from Science Olympiad, so my plan to give back to the larger community is to create a YouTube channel that specializes in the structural balsa events. Over the past 6+ years, I have helped teams build nationally competitive bridges, towers, and now boomis.

I'm about ready to post my intro video on my channel. Right now there are just a couple high speed camera things I've been playing around with, but over the summer, I'll get more into of the specifics of how our teams were able to build these devices.
-----

I just posted the intro video for my channel if you want to check it out: https://youtu.be/-r0UY3RrfCA

If you have any questions or ideas for the channel, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Thanks!!

Thanks Pebble! I'm sure there are plenty of coaches out there wondering where all the parents like you are. Great job on the YouTube site :)
As mklinger said, this youtube channel is actually theirs and I have no connections with it.
ok
mklinger
State: MI

Post by mklinger »

Hi guys,

I just created what I consider my first educational video targeting the Science Olympiad structural build events. This one is all about building a balsa library and how the density variations play a big role in getting just the right pieces to use.

Let me know what you think and please help me spread the word.

https://youtu.be/bLsTOpmozGI

I think my next one is going to tackle best practices with gluing as that can be a big issue for many folks just starting out.

Marc
These users thanked the author mklinger for the post (total 3):
Adi1008 (August 9th, 2021, 11:31 am) • Godspeed (August 11th, 2021, 8:39 pm) • sciolyperson1 (August 20th, 2021, 12:56 am)

Return to “Boomilever B/C”