Boomilever B/C

SergioEdwards
Member
Member
Posts: 7
Joined: May 21st, 2019, 7:48 am
Division: B
State: IN
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 1 time

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by SergioEdwards »

sneepity wrote: September 29th, 2020, 8:24 am
JonB wrote: September 29th, 2020, 8:22 am
SergioEdwards wrote: September 29th, 2020, 8:11 am
Wow thank you so much! Its my dream to get a boom of 4 grams lol. Are these able to hold all of the weight? With the bonus it seems worth it to hold it all and I was wondering if that's how other people feel as well.

SergioEdwards- I believe that 4 grams was referring to the "base", not the entire boomi (sneepity, correct me if I am wrong). I do not think we will see a 4 gram boomi hold full weight in either division but stranger things have happened this year.
yeah lol, I meant only the compression members and the members that connect the compression members. I do not believe that a 4 gram boomi can hold full weight, but if it happens, it'll be interesting :D And yes, def go for the bonus, even if your boom is a bit heavier- thats why no boomies this year (that held full weight) were under 7.5 or 8 grams. The bonus makes it very, very competitive.
ohhhhhh makes sense. Thank you so much! My coaches have been mostly nonresponsive so I'm so thankful for people like you lol. Thanks again!
These users thanked the author SergioEdwards for the post:
sneepity (September 29th, 2020, 9:12 am)
JonB
Coach
Coach
Posts: 326
Joined: March 11th, 2014, 12:00 pm
Division: C
State: FL
Has thanked: 1 time
Been thanked: 16 times

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by JonB »

sneepity wrote: September 29th, 2020, 8:24 am
JonB wrote: September 29th, 2020, 8:22 am
SergioEdwards wrote: September 29th, 2020, 8:11 am
Wow thank you so much! Its my dream to get a boom of 4 grams lol. Are these able to hold all of the weight? With the bonus it seems worth it to hold it all and I was wondering if that's how other people feel as well.

SergioEdwards- I believe that 4 grams was referring to the "base", not the entire boomi (sneepity, correct me if I am wrong). I do not think we will see a 4 gram boomi hold full weight in either division but stranger things have happened this year.
yeah lol, I meant only the compression members and the members that connect the compression members. I do not believe that a 4 gram boomi can hold full weight, but if it happens, it'll be interesting :D And yes, def go for the bonus, even if your boom is a bit heavier- thats why no boomies this year (that held full weight) were under 7.5 or 8 grams. The bonus makes it very, very competitive.
Agreed- go for the bonus. And although I cannot speak for Div B, there have definitely been Div C boomilevers that were under those weights that held full load.
These users thanked the author JonB for the post:
sneepity (September 29th, 2020, 9:13 am)
User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1053
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 571 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

https://scilympiad.com/data/org/bearso/ ... ilever.pdf

Computilever/Skyciv rules for BEARSO only
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director, SMEC Director

BEARSO: GV - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DS - 2nd '21, GV - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, GV - 2nd '21, WIDI - 1st '20
GGSO: DS - 1st '21
SOAPS: DS - 1st '21, GV - 1st '21

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20
Godspeed
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: February 20th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Godspeed »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm https://scilympiad.com/data/org/bearso/ ... ilever.pdf

Computilever/Skyciv rules for BEARSO only
How confident are you guys for this event? I feel like this event is going to be interesting and I am personally excited.
User avatar
sneepity
Member
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 931 times
Been thanked: 199 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sneepity »

Godspeed wrote: September 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm https://scilympiad.com/data/org/bearso/ ... ilever.pdf

Computilever/Skyciv rules for BEARSO only
How confident are you guys for this event? I feel like this event is going to be interesting and I am personally excited.
Unfortunately, New York dropped boomilever, (which is confusing me, because what about a NY team participating in Nats? would they have to do the event or get a terrible placement?)so I won't be participating. However, I'm intrigued to see how people will perform and how designs will improve. I think SkyCiv has its pros and cons, just like building an actual boomilever, but, I do think that SkyCiv has more pros. For example, building would actually take more time, because you have to worry about the grain of every stick, figure out what type of glue you're gonna use, and other aspects of it that makes it a "build". But in SkyCiv, building may take less time, so I think that kids can test more boomilevers often to get their design perfect. So the scores could be better this year, or worse.. or the same. I think it's very unpredictable right row, and we'll have to wait for more input from some early invites to see how people do. :oP
B)
User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1053
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 571 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

I'm curious as to what @JonB thinks, but to answer sneep's question:
SkyCiv assumes ideal properties of balsa wood for both tension and compression, both the tensile and compressive strength properties are defined with the same "yield strength" (7mPa IIRC). In reality, the compressive strength is less than the tensile strength, due to buckling.

I'd say a good ~100 teams out of the 300+ attending BEARSO will not be able to actually test their boomilever. To competitors, especially middle schoolers, the software would be very foreign and hard to grasp.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post:
sneepity (September 30th, 2020, 5:42 am)
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director, SMEC Director

BEARSO: GV - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DS - 2nd '21, GV - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, GV - 2nd '21, WIDI - 1st '20
GGSO: DS - 1st '21
SOAPS: DS - 1st '21, GV - 1st '21

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20
User avatar
sneepity
Member
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 931 times
Been thanked: 199 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sneepity »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 30th, 2020, 5:34 am I'm curious as to what @JonB thinks, but to answer sneep's question:
SkyCiv assumes ideal properties of balsa wood for both tension and compression, both the tensile and compressive strength properties are defined with the same "yield strength" (7mPa IIRC). In reality, the compressive strength is less than the tensile strength, due to buckling.

I'd say a good ~100 teams out of the 300+ attending BEARSO will not be able to actually test their boomilever. To competitors, especially middle schoolers, the software would be very foreign and hard to grasp.
Yeah, that was something I had in mind too- in actual building, the properties of every stick would differ, instead of them all being the same :/ I agree with you fully.
And yeah, I tried out SkyCiv once, and dropped it....I thought I wouldn't really need it. yikes
B)
Godspeed
Member
Member
Posts: 167
Joined: February 20th, 2020, 10:16 pm
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 81 times
Been thanked: 14 times

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Godspeed »

sneepity wrote: September 30th, 2020, 5:26 am
Godspeed wrote: September 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm
sciolyperson1 wrote: September 29th, 2020, 4:27 pm https://scilympiad.com/data/org/bearso/ ... ilever.pdf

Computilever/Skyciv rules for BEARSO only
How confident are you guys for this event? I feel like this event is going to be interesting and I am personally excited.
Unfortunately, New York dropped boomilever, (which is confusing me, because what about a NY team participating in Nats? would they have to do the event or get a terrible placement?)so I won't be participating. However, I'm intrigued to see how people will perform and how designs will improve. I think SkyCiv has its pros and cons, just like building an actual boomilever, but, I do think that SkyCiv has more pros. For example, building would actually take more time, because you have to worry about the grain of every stick, figure out what type of glue you're gonna use, and other aspects of it that makes it a "build". But in SkyCiv, building may take less time, so I think that kids can test more boomilevers often to get their design perfect. So the scores could be better this year, or worse.. or the same. I think it's very unpredictable right row, and we'll have to wait for more input from some early invites to see how people do. :oP
If you've read the rules for BearSO's computilever, you will have seen that the Event supervisor gives random contact width distances from 3 cm to 7 cm and random minimum loading distances from 20 cm to 45 cm. I will say that my scores I have been getting in skyciv are wayyyy better than irl.
User avatar
sneepity
Member
Member
Posts: 145
Joined: February 13th, 2020, 2:35 pm
Division: B
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 931 times
Been thanked: 199 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sneepity »

Godspeed wrote: September 30th, 2020, 7:58 am
sneepity wrote: September 30th, 2020, 5:26 am
Godspeed wrote: September 29th, 2020, 7:52 pm

How confident are you guys for this event? I feel like this event is going to be interesting and I am personally excited.
Unfortunately, New York dropped boomilever, (which is confusing me, because what about a NY team participating in Nats? would they have to do the event or get a terrible placement?)so I won't be participating. However, I'm intrigued to see how people will perform and how designs will improve. I think SkyCiv has its pros and cons, just like building an actual boomilever, but, I do think that SkyCiv has more pros. For example, building would actually take more time, because you have to worry about the grain of every stick, figure out what type of glue you're gonna use, and other aspects of it that makes it a "build". But in SkyCiv, building may take less time, so I think that kids can test more boomilevers often to get their design perfect. So the scores could be better this year, or worse.. or the same. I think it's very unpredictable right row, and we'll have to wait for more input from some early invites to see how people do. :oP
If you've read the rules for BearSO's computilever, you will have seen that the Event supervisor gives random contact width distances from 3 cm to 7 cm and random minimum loading distances from 20 cm to 45 cm. I will say that my scores I have been getting in skyciv are wayyyy better than irl.
Yep, I read that too, I thought it was interesting because kids could then make various designs to fit to the random rules.
B)
User avatar
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Posts: 1053
Joined: April 23rd, 2018, 7:13 pm
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His
Has thanked: 449 times
Been thanked: 571 times
Contact:

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by sciolyperson1 »

A little disappointed that they didn't use the contact depth line as a third parameter... it doesn't make sense to keep 150mm and 200mm for div B and C.
WW-P HSN '22, Community '18, BirdSO Tournament Director, SMEC Director

BEARSO: GV - 1st '21
MIT: LMMM - 1st '21, DS - 2nd '21, GV - 1st '20
PUSO: PPP - 1st '20, GV - 2nd '21, WIDI - 1st '20
GGSO: DS - 1st '21
SOAPS: DS - 1st '21, GV - 1st '21

Team:
Nats - 3rd '18, '19
MIT - 1st '21, 3rd '20
Post Reply

Return to “Boomilever B/C”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests