Boomilever B/C

Godspeed
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Boomilever B/C

Post by Godspeed »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 30th, 2020, 10:18 am A little disappointed that they didn't use the contact depth line as a third parameter... it doesn't make sense to keep 150mm and 200mm for div B and C.
Yeah I agree, I feel like the contact depth should also be random because that would add more randomness to the event and would provide some interesting scores.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Godspeed wrote: September 30th, 2020, 10:29 am
sciolyperson1 wrote: September 30th, 2020, 10:18 am A little disappointed that they didn't use the contact depth line as a third parameter... it doesn't make sense to keep 150mm and 200mm for div B and C.
Yeah I agree, I feel like the contact depth should also be random because that would add more randomness to the event and would provide some interesting scores.
Not about "randomness", more about diversity and not just people repeating the same designs over and over.
These users thanked the author sciolyperson1 for the post:
Godspeed (September 30th, 2020, 10:56 am)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA

Post by bernard »

Let's keep Computilever/Digital Structures talk out of here as it can be confusing for those looking for Boomilever help. I have a new topic planned for when the replacement event rules release.
These users thanked the author bernard for the post (total 5):
Godspeed (September 30th, 2020, 10:56 am) • sciolyperson1 (September 30th, 2020, 11:01 am) • sneepity (September 30th, 2020, 11:26 am) • AstroClarinet (September 30th, 2020, 12:07 pm) • gz839918 (September 30th, 2020, 12:09 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 30th, 2020, 5:34 am I'm curious as to what @JonB thinks, but to answer sneep's question:
SkyCiv assumes ideal properties of balsa wood for both tension and compression, both the tensile and compressive strength properties are defined with the same "yield strength" (7mPa IIRC). In reality, the compressive strength is less than the tensile strength, due to buckling.

I'd say a good ~100 teams out of the 300+ attending BEARSO will not be able to actually test their boomilever. To competitors, especially middle schoolers, the software would be very foreign and hard to grasp.
There are a few things to look at here:

In the context of yield strength (which is what you are asking about-)- they would not be the same based on my understanding. I am sure an engineer would have the best insight here but I think your reasoning is 100% correct.

Also, software always assumes "ideal" properties, but maybe the word "consistent" would be better. When dealing with balsa, it is impossible to have a piece that is 100% consistent from end to end. It can be close, and searching for consistent wood/pieces is difficult, time consuming, and often overlooked but vital when building highly competitive structures.
These users thanked the author JonB for the post:
sneepity (October 2nd, 2020, 5:00 am)
NotAPrez
Division: B
State: GA
Been thanked: 0

Post by NotAPrez »

Just wondering what are we supposed to do the rules she gave me are unclear? :?: :?: :?:
gz839918
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus
Division: Grad
State: WI
Pronouns: Ask My Pronouns

Post by gz839918 »

NotAPrez wrote: November 12th, 2020, 2:07 pm Just wondering what are we supposed to do the rules she gave me are unclear? :?: :?: :?:
Hey there, welcome! Could you explain what you mean?
These users thanked the author gz839918 for the post:
sneepity (November 13th, 2020, 11:30 am)
I ❤ sounds of music! About meRate my tests

Carmel High School ’19
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill ’23
“People overestimate what they can do in a day, and underestimate what they can do in a lifetime.” –Unknown
strwbrrycoco
Division: B
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0

Post by strwbrrycoco »

This is my first year in science olympiad, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or things I'd need to know! The Sky Civ (I think thats the program we're using) is pretty confusing, if anyone knows the basics of it could you explain it?
These users thanked the author strwbrrycoco for the post:
sneepity (December 4th, 2020, 4:11 pm)
builderguy135
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by builderguy135 »

strwbrrycoco wrote: December 4th, 2020, 7:34 am This is my first year in science olympiad, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or things I'd need to know! The Sky Civ (I think thats the program we're using) is pretty confusing, if anyone knows the basics of it could you explain it?
Hi strwbrrycoco,

You can find information about SkyCiv on the wiki here or on the BEARSO Tournament Guide here.
West Windsor-Plainsboro High School North '22
BirdSO Co-Director
My Userpage
Spook
State: CA

Digital Structures New Guy :D

Post by Spook »

Hey everyone,

I am really new to Science Olympiad in general. Can someone help me on the basics of Digital Structures? (As in how to build a good boomilever)
Spook
Just Vibing

Why are you still here?

Go away

Stop

If ur still here, go away

GO

K bye
AstroClarinet

Re: Digital Structures New Guy :D

Post by AstroClarinet »

Spook wrote: January 29th, 2021, 9:51 pm Hey everyone,

I am really new to Science Olympiad in general. Can someone help me on the basics of Digital Structures? (As in how to build a good boomilever)
Welcome to Science Olympiad and the forums!
These pages should help you get started with designing a boomilever. My main advice is to try out lots of different things, test your boomilever often, and see what works best.
Digital Structures/SkyCiv: Digital Structures Wikipage, SkyCiv Wikipage, Digital Structures Forum Thread
Boomilever (for help with design): Boomilever Wikipage, Aia's Boomilever Guide, 2020 Boomilever Thread, 2019 Boomilever Thread
These users thanked the author AstroClarinet for the post (total 5):
sneepity (February 3rd, 2021, 4:00 pm) • xiangyu (February 3rd, 2021, 4:21 pm) • Godspeed (February 3rd, 2021, 10:27 pm) • Spook (February 4th, 2021, 8:40 am) • pepperonipi (February 4th, 2021, 10:12 am)
AstroClarinet's Userpage
Nats: Remote sensing 3rd 2x, Astronomy 6th, Cell Bio 3rd
 Astro, Genes, Water, DigiStructures, Solar System, Boomi, Density, Eco, Optics, Towers, Microbe, Mission Possible

Return to “Boomilever B/C”