bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Detector Building C

Post by bernard »

Detector Building C: Teams will build a durable temperature sensing device that will accurately measure and display temperatures between zero degrees Celsius to 75 degrees Celsius to determine the temperature of four different water samples.

Detector Building Wiki

Texas Instruments Resources

Past Threads: 2018, 2019, 2020
These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
IOnlyShoot3s (December 6th, 2020, 2:25 pm)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: CA

Re: Detector Building C

Post by Umaroth »

WOOHOO TIME TO TOSS MORE MONEY ONTO CUSTOM PCB FINALLY
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post:
IOnlyShoot3s (December 6th, 2020, 2:25 pm)
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
tvremotebad175
State: VA
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by tvremotebad175 »

Hey so i was wondering how should we go about doing the "build" portion of detector design. me and my partners were thinking just to make a linear regression plot but that seems rather obvious. i feel like we are missing something. sorry if this is a stupid question i havent ever done this event. one of my coaches told me to use "steinhart hart" equation but i dont know how to implmenent that because there are so many unknown variables. thank you for your responses.
Last edited by gz839918 on December 24th, 2020, 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: moved post from state thread to this thread, which should help you to get more relevant answers :)
Umaroth
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by Umaroth »

tvremotebad175 wrote: December 23rd, 2020, 4:09 pm Hey so i was wondering how should we go about doing the "build" portion of detector design. me and my partners were thinking just to make a linear regression plot but that seems rather obvious. i feel like we are missing something. sorry if this is a stupid question i havent ever done this event. one of my coaches told me to use "steinhart hart" equation but i dont know how to implmenent that because there are so many unknown variables. thank you for your responses.
Depends which sensor you are using. Most people use a thermistor, which is best modeled by the Steinhart-Hart equation. The whole idea is to solve for the values of a, b, and c by taking three measurement points during the calibration time. This is how you would do it for state level rules because you wouldn't have the time to make an entire regression model during the 20 minutes of calibration. Linear regression isn't sufficient because thermistors are not linear devices, so if you're running regionals level rules where you bring your own thermometer, you'll be fine with making a cubic or quartic regression first at home.
These users thanked the author Umaroth for the post:
pepperonipi (December 24th, 2020, 9:02 pm)
Cal 2026
Troy SciOly 2021 Co-Captain
Proud Padre of the Evola SciOly Program 2018-now
Dank Memes Area Homeschool Juggernaut 2018-now
Sierra Vista SciOly Co-Head Coach 2020-now

Umaroth's Userpage
nisha01
Been thanked: 0

Post by nisha01 »

Hello! For our event, we would be following the mini-model, so there is no build portion. Im a bit confused on how this would work, since usually the tests are really generic about topics we learn, but for this, would we still be learning more about how to build it, and if so, what are some resources you would recommend for us to use? Please let me know!

Return to “Detector Building C”