Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Gravity Vehicle C

Post by Godspeed »

CPScienceDude wrote: December 28th, 2020, 12:15 pm
AveragePeasant wrote: November 30th, 2020, 10:38 am
JonB wrote: September 10th, 2020, 6:20 pm

Very true. We will see how it plays out. Well, maybe- since most competitions are going the mini route, we won't see this event run often (at least for the competitions we will be at).
It also could be difficult considering some tournaments have gone virtual
At this point, pretty much every single tournament is Satellite SO or MiniSO. Considering that, I don’t think we’ll see very many gravity vehicle runs for the rear of the season.
I would think that but it seems that there's quite a few Satellite/Mini tournaments that are running Gravity Vehicle. I don't really understand the reason so many tournaments are doing this because a lot of people can't run their Gravity Vehicle inside of their homes and have to do it outside, like on a basketball court or the sidewalk, which is a clear disadvantage compared to people who are doing their runs inside their house on a hardwood surface. A lot of homes also have carpet flooring which is also not suited for a Gravity Vehicle to run on. Overall, I just don't think that it's a good idea to run Gravity Vehicle this year under MiniSO, but rather Vehicle Design. For Satellite, I think it's fine to run Gravity Vehiclebecause most schools have a gym or an MPR that they can run their Gravity Vehicle in.
BobaTeaTastesGood
State: NC

Post by BobaTeaTastesGood »

At the NC Mockvitational (Mini), Gravity Vehicle was still run, the only building event besides Sounds of Music. My partner and I had some trouble trying to film while showing the measurements and everything for every run. The fact that our tape measure wasn't the given length didn't help at all, and we must have spent at least two hours just filming. We were testing at the local university, and if we didn't have access there, I'm not sure where we could have run. I agree - trying to run this event in a Mini setting is just too difficult.
On another note, our vehicle is using passive steering with a chassis shaped like a "H" rotated 90 degrees. We're currently using turnbuckles with 1/4-28 thread (they're way too big). Does anyone have good recommendations for turnbuckles with higher pitched thread and lower size? I was thinking of windu's 2016 vehicle in the past Nationals gallery - are the turnbuckles 3D printed, bought, or homemade? We have access to a 3D printer, but I'm drawing a blank on ideas. A quick search on Amazon for RC turnbuckles look like they also work, but I'm still concerned about the weight (all the ones I've looked at are metal). Suggestions? We've already built a vehicle, so changing the adjustment mechanism/chassis now is out of scope, rip
These users thanked the author BobaTeaTastesGood for the post:
sciolyperson1 (December 29th, 2020, 10:37 am)
yoasobi and beabadoobee enjoyer
Rossyspsce

Post by Rossyspsce »

BobaTeaTastesGood wrote: December 29th, 2020, 5:35 am At the NC Mockvitational (Mini), Gravity Vehicle was still run, the only building event besides Sounds of Music. My partner and I had some trouble trying to film while showing the measurements and everything for every run. The fact that our tape measure wasn't the given length didn't help at all, and we must have spent at least two hours just filming. We were testing at the local university, and if we didn't have access there, I'm not sure where we could have run. I agree - trying to run this event in a Mini setting is just too difficult.
On another note, our vehicle is using passive steering with a chassis shaped like a "H" rotated 90 degrees. We're currently using turnbuckles with 1/4-28 thread (they're way too big). Does anyone have good recommendations for turnbuckles with higher pitched thread and lower size? I was thinking of windu's 2016 vehicle in the past Nationals gallery - are the turnbuckles 3D printed, bought, or homemade? We have access to a 3D printer, but I'm drawing a blank on ideas. A quick search on Amazon for RC turnbuckles look like they also work, but I'm still concerned about the weight (all the ones I've looked at are metal). Suggestions? We've already built a vehicle, so changing the adjustment mechanism/chassis now is out of scope, rip
I don't believe windu's design used any turnbuckles. He used a string system to straighten his car and everything else structure wise was carbon fiber and 3d printed PLA
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (71.97 KiB) Viewed 3388 times
JonB
Coach
Coach
State: FL

Post by JonB »

BobaTeaTastesGood wrote: December 29th, 2020, 5:35 am At the NC Mockvitational (Mini), Gravity Vehicle was still run, the only building event besides Sounds of Music. My partner and I had some trouble trying to film while showing the measurements and everything for every run. The fact that our tape measure wasn't the given length didn't help at all, and we must have spent at least two hours just filming. We were testing at the local university, and if we didn't have access there, I'm not sure where we could have run. I agree - trying to run this event in a Mini setting is just too difficult.
I will answer this question for you (in respect to windu's 2016 vehicle)- the national version of the vehicle did not use metal turnbuckles. Instead, you can see in the picture that there is just a simple (strong) zip tie. The zip tie "locks" the adjustment in while the metal turnbuckles can loosen/change. That being said, we actually do use metal turnbuckles in Gravity V because they are easy to adjust (they just require constant adjustment). The ones we have used are metal and purchased from Amazon. 3D printing these would not work that well. The weight is not too much of a factor now so I would not worry about the fact they are metal.

Let me know if you have anymore questions. I can also send you a high quality picture of the zip tie "system" from the 2016 national vehicle if you want (just pm me).
These users thanked the author JonB for the post:
sneepity (January 4th, 2021, 6:10 am)
vehicleguy

Post by vehicleguy »

I understand that the strings on windu's vehicle were used to straighten his vehicle but does anyone know how it exactly worked? I just don't see how the tension is enough to align the car, and I can't figure out how he even has it attached. Obviously none of you guys are windu but any ideas would help, thanks.
AHHS '22 Vanderbilt '26
2022 Events: Chem Lab, Envi Chem, It's About Time, Orni, PPP, Wright Stuff
2022 States: 3rd Envi Chem, 3rd Orni, 4th Wright Stuff
Userpage- https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Vehicleguy
CPScienceDude
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: IN

Post by CPScienceDude »

vehicleguy wrote: February 12th, 2021, 12:19 pm I understand that the strings on windu's vehicle were used to straighten his vehicle but does anyone know how it exactly worked? I just don't see how the tension is enough to align the car, and I can't figure out how he even has it attached. Obviously none of you guys are windu but any ideas would help, thanks.
Theyre just looped around the carbon fiber rods. When dealing with very tight tolerances, like those 3D printed vehicles, even slight adjustments to the angle of the axles can affect the path of travel. Plus, that was EV, Gravity vehicle is more complicated when dealing with going straight because of the ramp. Either way, the strings on windu's vehicle likely affected the overall horizontal drift by less than 2 cm and was used as a precise adjustment.
Crown Point HS '23
Purdue University '27

Assassinator 139 and 147

About Me!

Return to “Gravity Vehicle C”