bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Mission Possible B

Post by bernard »

Mission Possible B: Prior to the competition, participants design, build, test and document a Rube Goldberg-like device that completes required Start and Final Actions through a series of specific actions.

Mission Possible Wiki Wiki

Mission Possible Image Gallery

Past Threads: 2010, 2011, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH
Has thanked: 0

Re: Mission Possible B

Post by jgrischow1 »

Realize this isn't the place for official clarifications, etc. etc.

Regarding 3.c.xii "Start a pendulum so after running for at least 10 seconds, it initiates the next action"...does the scioly community interpret that as the actual pendulum "bob" must do the initiating of the next action, or can any part of the pendulum device do it? For example, if one had a pendulum clock, or some sort of ratcheting mechanism, could those components do the initiating? Appreciate any guidance.
These users thanked the author jgrischow1 for the post:
Krish2007 (January 13th, 2021, 7:00 am)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

jgrischow1 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:01 pm Regarding 3.c.xii "Start a pendulum so after running for at least 10 seconds, it initiates the next action"...does the scioly community interpret that as the actual pendulum "bob" must do the initiating of the next action, or can any part of the pendulum device do it? For example, if one had a pendulum clock, or some sort of ratcheting mechanism, could those components do the initiating? Appreciate any guidance.
I interpreted that as allowing some ratcheting device (pendulum clock, ratchet winding up a weight on a string, ...). It's hard for me to see how you'd build a device that the bob itself waited 10 seconds, then initiated something, unless the ratchet was unwinding the pendulum from its support, and after (time) it fell off.

But I think last year several people built pendulum clocks to act as this device and the timer.
jgrischow1

Post by jgrischow1 »

knightmoves wrote: January 15th, 2021, 8:34 pm
jgrischow1 wrote: January 12th, 2021, 2:01 pm Regarding 3.c.xii "Start a pendulum so after running for at least 10 seconds, it initiates the next action"...does the scioly community interpret that as the actual pendulum "bob" must do the initiating of the next action, or can any part of the pendulum device do it? For example, if one had a pendulum clock, or some sort of ratcheting mechanism, could those components do the initiating? Appreciate any guidance.
I interpreted that as allowing some ratcheting device (pendulum clock, ratchet winding up a weight on a string, ...). It's hard for me to see how you'd build a device that the bob itself waited 10 seconds, then initiated something, unless the ratchet was unwinding the pendulum from its support, and after (time) it fell off.

But I think last year several people built pendulum clocks to act as this device and the timer.
Thanks!
mtownley
Been thanked: 0

Post by mtownley »

Hello! Looking for help! Does anyone have a sample document that my students can view. We competed on Saturday and both our kids got their submissions returned as incomplete. If anyone has an example or an explanation of what this is supposed to look like would you mind posting it. I'd appreciate it!

"Images that show devices dimensions (to nearest 0.1 cm) and action-specific detail. It is required to place images with description/explanation in an organized document. Each scorable action in the ASL should have at least 1 indicated photo in the image document that is labeled so the event supervisor can easily match the photo with the ASL."
jgrischow1

Post by jgrischow1 »

Take pictures of each action and paste the pictures under each action in the ASL.

Return to “Mission Possible B”