Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Godspeed
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by Godspeed »

sciolyperson1 wrote: September 10th, 2020, 11:41 pm
Jomacteacher wrote: September 10th, 2020, 8:46 pm It does specify tire pump too. I know that at two competitions we had last year, they used compressors. Using a pump will cut into your time.
I agree, I've also been to competitions where the event supervisor would use the compressor for you (you tell them psi, they just plug it in). I'm not sure if I like the rule change, but I doubt it'll make a huge difference.
Thank god they're making that a rule. At my regional, there was an air compressor and we could use our own bike pump, but the measurement on the meter was inaccurate (because some pressure didn't get released every launch because of an overly complex tube system that didn't need to exist which is why we didn't use our own bike pump.) This made us have to use the air compressor, but since the air compressor sucks in air from the room it is in, when we launched our rocket, the parachute was pulled towards the air compressor and messed up our launch (not an official launch btw.) But because of the air compressor and how air circulates in a room, some teams got an advantage and got their parachutes pushed upwards by the air current... quite literally... the parachute literally got pushed upwards by the air and went against gravity.
stlcards422
Division: B
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Post by stlcards422 »

last year we had a pretty good time at practices, (15 psi at 20 foot ceiling) (pvc pipe launcher) at the tournament, we did 15 psi since the ceiling height was like 18ft, and it barely left the launcher (3 secs) (nerds launcher), the second run, the parachute got tangled and 2 secs, and they didnt give us practice runs. How do you practice this?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

stlcards422 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:09 pm last year we had a pretty good time at practices, (15 psi at 20 foot ceiling) (pvc pipe launcher) at the tournament, we did 15 psi since the ceiling height was like 18ft, and it barely left the launcher (3 secs) (nerds launcher), the second run, the parachute got tangled and 2 secs, and they didnt give us practice runs. How do you practice this?
It sounds like there might have been inconsistencies with the launchers you used during practice and at the tournament. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that other than buying a new launcher, which some can't. As for the parachute tangling, there's also not much you can do other than making sure that it deploys very consistently, and untangling it when it does get tangled. You can bring two parachutes.

In all honesty, I don't have high hopes for in person competitions this year, and I'm also not sure if PPP will be run at satellite SO tournaments.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
stlcards422
Division: B
State: MD
Been thanked: 0

Post by stlcards422 »

CookiePie1 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:22 pm
stlcards422 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 3:09 pm last year we had a pretty good time at practices, (15 psi at 20 foot ceiling) (pvc pipe launcher) at the tournament, we did 15 psi since the ceiling height was like 18ft, and it barely left the launcher (3 secs) (nerds launcher), the second run, the parachute got tangled and 2 secs, and they didnt give us practice runs. How do you practice this?
It sounds like there might have been inconsistencies with the launchers you used during practice and at the tournament. Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that other than buying a new launcher, which some can't. As for the parachute tangling, there's also not much you can do other than making sure that it deploys very consistently, and untangling it when it does get tangled. You can bring two parachutes.

In all honesty, I don't have high hopes for in person competitions this year, and I'm also not sure if PPP will be run at satellite SO tournaments.
it was consistent, but the tubes and the nerds metal ones were diffrent, our launcher was consistent, but the launchers were diffrent the parachutes were consistent opening, it only get tangled once every like 15 times, so it was unlucky :(
hopefully there is ppp in person or something hopefull we can bring our own launchers then. also we ended up placing 20+ and we can't buy a new launcher (too expensive)
Last edited by stlcards422 on November 1st, 2020, 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

stlcards422 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:32 pm

it was consistent, but the tubes and the nerds metal ones were diffrent, our launcher was consistent, but the launchers were diffrent the parachutes were consistent opening, it only get tangled once every like 15 times, so it was unlucky :(
hopefully there is ppp in person or something hopefull we can bring our own launchers then. also we ended up placing 20+ and we can't buy a new launcher (too expensive)
Sorry, I hope you didn't misunderstand what I said, but I said that the issues may have been caused because you used a different launcher at competition. If ppp is run in the satellite model then I assume you can use your own launcher.
These users thanked the author CookiePie1 for the post:
stlcards422 (November 2nd, 2020, 6:34 am)
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music

-Albert Einstein
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

CookiePie1 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 8:02 pm
stlcards422 wrote: November 1st, 2020, 7:32 pm

Sorry, I hope you didn't misunderstand what I said, but I said that the issues may have been caused because you used a different launcher at competition. If ppp is run in the satellite model then I assume you can use your own launcher.
Typically, your own launchers cannot be used at competition (liability reasons).
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
GodOfCars
State: IL
Has thanked: 0

Post by GodOfCars »

Last year, my partner and I also got a pvc pipe launcher and the same thing happened. I think the launcher itself is not exactly the same as the nerds inc launcher, so we got the nerds launcher and that fixed all our problems. I would recommend doing the same if you find that it is worth the money for this year (its more than $100).
These users thanked the author GodOfCars for the post:
stlcards422 (November 3rd, 2020, 11:52 am)
2020 Events:
Gravity Vehicle (1st place @ UChicago Invitational, 2nd @ Palatine Invitational)
Ping Pong Parachute

Past Medals:
Perfect 1st place streak for Mousetrap Vehicle @ Libertyville, Conant, Illinois State (UIUC)
1st place Wright Stuff @ Libertyville, 3rd place @ State
Godspeed
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

GodOfCars wrote: November 3rd, 2020, 9:14 am
Last year, my partner and I also got a pvc pipe launcher and the same thing happened. I think the launcher itself is not exactly the same as the nerds inc launcher, so we got the nerds launcher and that fixed all our problems. I would recommend doing the same if you find that it is worth the money for this year (its more than $100).
Yeah, if you can afford it, it's totally worth getting a Nerds launcher because most tournaments use Nerds launchers, and they are typically the most accurate launchers.
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Godspeed wrote: November 4th, 2020, 10:56 am
Yeah, if you can afford it, it's totally worth getting a Nerds launcher because most tournaments use Nerds launchers, and they are typically the most accurate launchers.
> typically the most accurate launchers

X to doubt, every single launcher model I've used has had flaws (LISO nerdsinc, our pvc, nj B pvc)
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member

Post by CookiePie1 »

sciolyperson1 wrote: November 4th, 2020, 4:05 pm
Godspeed wrote: November 4th, 2020, 10:56 am

> typically the most accurate launchers

X to doubt, every single launcher model I've used has had flaws (LISO nerdsinc, our pvc, nj B pvc)
NJ uses these aquaport launcher things and they're pretty inconsistent

Edit: also adding that aside from the nerds inc one, launchers are usually manufactured with a toy-like product in mind (it's just for kids to launch bottle rockets for fun) and I don't think consistency is that high on their list of priorities. Nerds inc is diff bc it was marketed towards scioly teams (right?) and I feel like the materials used are fairly high quality. They are by far better than other launchers but aren't immune to problems either.
Last edited by CookiePie1 on November 4th, 2020, 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Albert Einstein

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”