New Video Repository

coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach
Division: B
State: NM

New Video Repository

Post by coachchuckaahs »

As part of the NFFS collaboration with Science Olympiad, we are enhancing our YouTube video library, found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucmaP ... RTMHX_38YA.

Specifically, there is a growing playlist with videos of interest for Science Olympiad and other entry-level flying, at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Z3nQ_GCoQZ.

On this channel, and included in the playlist, we are starting to develop video content specifically for Science Olympiad competitors. The newest video, posted yesterday, reviews glue and glue management, as it pertains to weight management. This is one area that I have seen big issues as I have coached SO as well as serving at the State level as ES. The gluing video can be reached directly at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWmW_D6WYQ.

If this is helpful, please like and subscribe!

If there are how-to videos you would like us to produce, please reply here or PM me. We are hoping to accelerate the delivery of applicable resources to be in position to help in the fall building campaign. This is one way we see the NFFS helping and mentoring the SO flying events community.

Coach Chuck
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post (total 3):
Adi1008 (March 26th, 2021, 10:04 am) • CrayolaCrayon (March 26th, 2021, 5:19 pm) • Unome (March 27th, 2021, 10:57 am)
Coach, Albuquerque Area Home Schoolers Flying Events
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
xiangyu
Division: Grad
State: MI
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: New Video Repository

Post by xiangyu »

coachchuckaahs wrote: March 26th, 2021, 9:55 am As part of the NFFS collaboration with Science Olympiad, we are enhancing our YouTube video library, found at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCucmaP ... RTMHX_38YA.

Specifically, there is a growing playlist with videos of interest for Science Olympiad and other entry-level flying, at https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... Z3nQ_GCoQZ.

On this channel, and included in the playlist, we are starting to develop video content specifically for Science Olympiad competitors. The newest video, posted yesterday, reviews glue and glue management, as it pertains to weight management. This is one area that I have seen big issues as I have coached SO as well as serving at the State level as ES. The gluing video can be reached directly at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=owWmW_D6WYQ.

If this is helpful, please like and subscribe!

If there are how-to videos you would like us to produce, please reply here or PM me. We are hoping to accelerate the delivery of applicable resources to be in position to help in the fall building campaign. This is one way we see the NFFS helping and mentoring the SO flying events community.

Coach Chuck
Great work, Coach Chuck,

One topic I can think of off the top of my head is mylaring/wing covering. I've always struggled with this even after a couple years of experience. A video with some tips to more effectively attach the wing covering to the wing/propeller frame would definitely help a lot.

Xiangyu
Medal & Ribbon Count: 33
Former EGRHS Team Captain 2017-2021
https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Xiangyu
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Thanks for the feedback Xiangyu.

Covering is definitely on the list!

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
AMA Results: 3 AAHS members qualify for US Jr Team in F1D, 4 new youth senior records
BennyTheJett
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by BennyTheJett »

Coach Chuck,

I think you should look at something along the lines of "how to get a plane to glide better", or "how to keep the plane angled up on the descent".
Menomonie '21 UW-Platteville '25

Division D and proud. If you want a Geology tutor hmu.
paschw30
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by paschw30 »

Hi Coach Chuck,

I think you should do a video on the 10 step trimming guide where you start with no prop on the plane just gliding it, adjusting the CG, indicence and turn for the longest glide, then launching into a slight stall/dive to check stability, then putting the prop and rubber on and readjusting the CG, to low power flights. This can be a little hard to master as a beginner (especially knowing what the correct stability looks like).

Thanks!
Patrick
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Thanks Patrick.

Basic trimming will indeed be one of our videos.

Personally, with lightweight indoor models I have found little help in gliding without rubber power, and we no longer do that at all. We start with either plan CG or a calculated CG and basic starting incidence (0 on stab, 6mm on wing typical). We fly with limited winds on motor and make trim (decalage) adjustments for letdown. Any adjustments needed for a low-power circle are also made. We then increase power and look at thrustline adjustments.

Usually you can get a reasonable starting CG from plans or similar planes, or through stability spreadsheet calculations. In this year's model, due to the very small stab, the CG location was VERY sensitive. We usually start a bit nose-heavy, and if the decalage gets excessive, move the CG back.

We are usually close if the wing is 6mm and the tail is 0, assuming all else is straight, and it flies decent. We will then "disturb" the plane, either by purposely flying into the rafters, or bumping with a pole. We look for recovery. If the plane takes a lot of height to recover, we move the CG forward and retrim. If not, we may try it back further.

But, yes, we will do a video on basic trim.

Also, if you can make it to the seminars at the AMA/NFFS Nationals, we will do hands-on work with the students to trim their airplanes.

A few other recent additions to our planned list of videos (which is quite long):
1. Tying rubber (and hitting the desired mass)
2. Understanding prop pitch/rubber tradeoffs and adjustments

Coach Chuck
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

A new video is posted: Tying rubber loops for indoor model airplanes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5u4ghL21ij8

Coach Chuck
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post:
xiangyu (April 24th, 2021, 11:06 am)
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion
coachchuckaahs
Coach
Coach

Post by coachchuckaahs »

Another new video uploaded today. This one covers Prop Pitch/Rubber Motor balancing, and explores the relationships between torque, pitch, power, and climb. It touches on Variable Pitch props in order to introduce Flaring props as a solution for SO Wright Stuff planes.

You can see the video at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KG6spsA058E

It is a bit longer than anticipated, about 44 minutes.

Hope this helps. It addresses some key questions my team members asked at Eager Arizona as they tried to adjust to the high ceiling.

Coach Chuck
These users thanked the author coachchuckaahs for the post:
sciolyperson1 (May 4th, 2021, 7:09 am)
Nationals Results:
2016 C WS 8th place
2018 B WS 2nd place
2018 C Heli Champion
2019 B ELG 3rd place
2019 C WS Champion

Return to “Wright Stuff C”