Machines B/C

Spook
Division: C
State: CA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Machines B/C

Post by Spook »

RiverWalker88 wrote: February 3rd, 2021, 7:20 am
Spook wrote: January 30th, 2021, 12:08 pm Does anyone know in general, how many pages/questions the Machines test will be? In my first invitational, it was about fifty questions but I was wondering if this would stay about the same.
There are general trends, but it is heavily dependent on who writes it. Some writers far underestimate teams and the exam is really short, while some writers are a little on the excessive side and write an exam that nobody could finish in 50 minutes. For invitationals, I would expect to see this variability--writers are extremely varied--for invitationals. Generally in a regional (this is dependent too, but generally), you won't see a very long, complicated test (I can't give a definite question amount, but probably doable). For a state test... I'd assume similar to an invitational--no definite trends, heavily dependent on the writer (I have no idea what to expect for machines at state, I assume our 5-question state test was not typical).
Thanks!
Spook
Just Vibing

Why are you still here?

Go away

Stop

If ur still here, go away

GO

K bye
Robot2020
Division: B
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Simple Machines DivisionB

Post by Robot2020 »

Hi

Does anyone know if the "Gears" topic is included in the Simple Machines Division B of Science Olympiad 2021?

Thanks in advance
Robot
RiverWalker88
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NM

Re: Simple Machines DivisionB

Post by RiverWalker88 »

Robot2020 wrote: February 23rd, 2021, 11:15 am Hi

Does anyone know if the "Gears" topic is included in the Simple Machines Division B of Science Olympiad 2021?

Thanks in advance
Robot
Hey!

From the rules, gears will be included for both divisions under the overreaching category of wheels. So you may be expected to know gears. I might also add that I'm not an official source (see disclaimer), but it does appear that gears may appear on an exam.
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

Good luck with learning!
New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology '26, Physics
Robot2020

Post by Robot2020 »

Thank you very much!
Robot2020

Post by Robot2020 »

One another question!
How about the potential energy, kinetic energy, and coefficient of kinetic friction?
Any help in this appreciated?
Thanks
Robot
Godspeed
Division: C
State: CA

Post by Godspeed »

Robot2020 wrote: February 24th, 2021, 6:39 am One another question!
How about the potential energy, kinetic energy, and coefficient of kinetic friction?
Any help in this appreciated?
Thanks
Robot
Hey! Are you asking how many of these problems will be there? If so, then I'd expect like 0-10 questions on the topic. Some writers don't put many of these types of problems (especially in division b), while a lot of writers do like to write a bunch of questions on this.

Return to “Machines B/C”