Protein Modeling C

pikachu4919
Division: Grad
State: IN
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Protein Modeling C

Post by pikachu4919 »

Protein Modeling C: Students will use computer visualization and online resources to construct physical models of the CRISPR Cas9 protein that is being engineered to edit plant and animal cell genomes, and answer a series of questions about the chemistry of protein folding and the interaction of structure and function for model proteins.

Protein Modeling Wiki

Protein Modeling Test Exchange

http://cbm.msoe.edu/scienceOlympiad/

Official Protein Modeling Event Facebook Page (many photos of models from nationals are posted here)

Past Threads:
2011 (Pluripotent Stem Cells)
2012 (Apoptosis)
2015 (Human Genome Editing)
2016 (Dopamine and Serotonin Synthesis)
2019 (Anti-CRISPR)
2020 (Cas9 Base Editing)

Past Question Marathons: 2015, 2019, 2020
Carmel HS (IN) '16
Purdue BioE '21? reevaluating my life choices
Nationals 2016 ~ 4th place Forensics

"It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place, it becomes rigid and stale." -Uncle Iroh

About me || Rate my tests!
Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.

MY CABBAGES!
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: C
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Re: Protein Modeling C

Post by CookiePie1 »

Super excited to pull last year's prebuild out of the box again and not do anything to it
These users thanked the author CookiePie1 for the post:
Mr.Epithelium (September 10th, 2020, 8:34 pm)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
promotions
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by promotions »

Hey all,

I'm competing in Protein Modeling in Southern California. I just saw an announcement on the SoCal Scilympiad website that that "[t]he three papers that competitors need to review for Regional and State competitions have been uploaded and are linked in the Events and Modifications document." The three papers are the base editing paper from last year and two other papers, which are here and here. I assume information on these papers will be tested on in the Regional and State tournaments. Has anyone else seen these papers on other tournament websites? Thanks!
bearasauras
State: CA

Post by bearasauras »

Yah, these three papers were sent to the State Directors last week with the following message:
[These are] the 3 papers that each team needs to read and will use during the event for both Regionals and State tournaments. These papers are normally distributed when MSOE sends Pre-Build materials to teams; however, this season we are asking tournaments to either post them for download on their tournament website or send them to their teams directly.
These users thanked the author bearasauras for the post (total 2):
CookiePie1 (January 29th, 2021, 3:18 pm) • Mr.Epithelium (January 29th, 2021, 8:16 pm)
Anomaly
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by Anomaly »

bearasauras wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:01 pm Yah, these three papers were sent to the State Directors last week with the following message:
[These are] the 3 papers that each team needs to read and will use during the event for both Regionals and State tournaments. These papers are normally distributed when MSOE sends Pre-Build materials to teams; however, this season we are asking tournaments to either post them for download on their tournament website or send them to their teams directly.
Is this just for certain states or all of them?
Orefield MS SO 2015-2018, Parkland HS SO 2019-2020
Medal/Ribbon Count
Invitational: 25
Regional: 16
State: 7
y o i n k s
Events: Anatomy and Physiology, Codebusters, Designer Genes, Protein Modeling
don't look at this its fake news now
jaspattack
Division: Grad
State: MO

Post by jaspattack »

Anomaly wrote: February 2nd, 2021, 3:05 pm
bearasauras wrote: January 29th, 2021, 3:01 pm Yah, these three papers were sent to the State Directors last week with the following message:
Is this just for certain states or all of them?
The same papers are posted on the Missouri SO website stating that "The attached documents should be downloaded and reviewed by all teams before the regional and state tournaments." Check with your state director, but I definitely think it's likely that it's going to be required by most (if not all) states.
These users thanked the author jaspattack for the post:
promotions (February 5th, 2021, 12:14 am)
CHS '21 // Mizzou '25 | Jaspattack's Userpage

2020-21 Events: Designer Genes, Forensics, Ornithology, Protein Modeling

I edit the wiki sometimes.
EwwPhysics
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: PA

Post by EwwPhysics »

Does anyone have any tips for analyzing interactions in jmol? I often see questions about interactions between residues or ligand/protein interactions, but I'm not exactly sure how to approach them. I usually just go with the closest residue, or a nearby one that has properties that would make it likely to interact with the other thing (eg. if it's asking for something that interacts with a DNA molecule I would look for basic/positively charged amino acids). However, this method is pretty unreliable and I get these questions wrong more often than not.
Is there an easy way to identify interactions that I'm overlooking? Thanks in advance :)
Lower Merion Captain '24
Cell bio, code, disease, forensics
Cell bio, codebusters, disease, envirochem (and widi, chem lab) 
Protein Modeling - 1st @ nats
Disease Detectives - 4th @ nats
Designer Genes - 1st @ states
Also fossils, widi, circuit
sciolyperson1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by sciolyperson1 »

Hi all!

We're running Protein Modeling for this month's SMEC! To learn more, head over to our forums thread and register at the google form here!
SoCal Planning Team & BirdSO Tournament Director
WW-P HSN '22, Community MS '18
Sciolyperson1's Userpage

Return to “Protein Modeling C”