Scioly Summer Study Session 2014

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2014

Post by foreverphysics »

nxtscholar wrote:7500 words for a building guide? Isn't that rather asking too much? I mean, Aia's Boomilever guide, which we can all universally say was helpful, was only 4,984 words. Most wikis on build events don't approach that level of word count.
Building guides are different from notes. Notes are for study/lab events. Build guides are less constricted; 1000 words would be fine, as long as you have diagrams and clear, concise instructions, and tips if you would like to include those. However, be aware that these will be accepted based on quality. As long as you submit quality work, you should be fine.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
silverheart7
State: NY
Been thanked: 0

Post by silverheart7 »

I have a question, sorry...

If two users collaborate on writing a test/notes, would both get access to the SSS?
Past: Forestry, Disease, Meteorology, Towers, Sounds, Triple E, Boomilever, Entomology, WQ, WIDI, Bridges

Total Medals: 14
State Medals: Sounds of Music (2nd, 2013), Forestry (3rd, 2013), and Triple E (4th, 2013)

Gelinas and Ward Melville Alum, ELI Volunteer
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

silverheart7 wrote:I have a question, sorry...

If two users collaborate on writing a test/notes, would both get access to the SSS?
You forgot the last S :mrgreen:
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

silverheart7 wrote:I have a question, sorry...

If you submit two total, yes. Unfortunately, we can only allow a 1:1 or lower ratio.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

OK, here's a question. I wrote two tests and keys for an invitational that got cancelled due to a blizzard. Since there was no good time to reschedule it, the coaches swapped tests with each other, so my tests and keys went out to ten or so other schools and who knows if they went any further than that.

Would it be OK to submit a barely-published (but entirely written by me) test/key? Or must it be totally previously unpublished?
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
sofan
Division: B
State: TX

Post by sofan »

I did Picture This back when it was a Texas trial event and I got a big list of science words for a coach/parent. I went online, and defined all of the words and kinda made a mini dictionary. Most of the words may be easy, so I may need to update it. Does that get me into SSSS?
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola »

hscmom wrote:OK, here's a question. I wrote two tests and keys for an invitational that got cancelled due to a blizzard. Since there was no good time to reschedule it, the coaches swapped tests with each other, so my tests and keys went out to ten or so other schools and who knows if they went any further than that.

Would it be OK to submit a barely-published (but entirely written by me) test/key? Or must it be totally previously unpublished?
That should be fine :)
sofan wrote:I did Picture This back when it was a Texas trial event and I got a big list of science words for a coach/parent. I went online, and defined all of the words and kinda made a mini dictionary. Most of the words may be easy, so I may need to update it. Does that get me into SSSS?
Send it to us through email and we'll take a look at it! If it's extensive enough I think it would be a great resource.
sofan
Division: B
State: TX

Post by sofan »

mnstrviola wrote:
hscmom wrote:OK, here's a question. I wrote two tests and keys for an invitational that got cancelled due to a blizzard. Since there was no good time to reschedule it, the coaches swapped tests with each other, so my tests and keys went out to ten or so other schools and who knows if they went any further than that.

That should be fine :)
sofan wrote:I did Picture This back when it was a Texas trial event and I got a big list of science words for a coach/parent. I went online, and defined all of the words and kinda made a mini dictionary. Most of the words may be easy, so I may need to update it. Does that get me into SSSS?
Send it to us through email and we'll take a look at it! If it's extensive enough I think it would be a great resource.
ok i will send it in next weekend after I polish it a little. :)
New school year! New scioly season! Another year to do something great!

2013 galveston regionals:
rotor: 3rd
pic: 2nd(Texas event)
overall:3rd
2013 state:
rotor:4th
overall: 12th :I
hscmom
Coach
Coach
State: CO
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers

Post by hscmom »

This may not be the place to ask, but is DP this year volcano/earthquake/tsunami or oceanography??? Thanks...
Homeschool Science Colorado since August 2008
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

hscmom wrote:This may not be the place to ask, but is DP this year volcano/earthquake/tsunami or oceanography??? Thanks...
The thread is: http://scioly.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=5492
Currently the tentative list is: http://soinc.org/sites/default/files/up ... -10-14.pdf

For Dynamic specifically it is extremely likely to be oceanography because it is on a fairly set rotation (and the chart confirms this).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

Return to “SSSS & SEC”