Scioly Summer Study Session 2014

alwaysmatts
Division: C
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2014

Post by alwaysmatts »

foreverphysics wrote:With the close of this year’s National tournament, many of us eagerly anticipate the new events being put into rotation for next year, but face the long summer months in between the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Yet save those tears, members of scioly.org- our second annual Science Olympiad Study Session (SSSS) has just begun!

This event will be run very similarly to last year’s. You submit a resource, listed below, for one of the events scheduled for the 2014-2015 season. Once it is approved by an SSSS moderator, you gain access to all other resources submitted to SSSS! The resources are yours to use, but we ask that they are not shared with other people (including teammates) not in SSSS. Around August, when SSSS ends, these resources are uploaded to the wiki, test exchange, and image gallery.
Over sixty people participated in SSSS last year; let’s see if we can beat that this year! Science Olympiad Study Session is a great way to get a head start towards the next season and explore the new events as well as brush up on ones continuing their rotation. Interested? Here are the logistics of participating in SSSS in detail:

1.Make a forum account if you don’t have one yet. Due to logistical reasons we can only add users who are members of scioly.org

2.There are multiple ways to get involved.
You can make a test and answer key. This must be tournament quality and length.
You may submit notes for an event scheduled for 2015. The notes must be similarly extensive and at least 7,500 words long.
You may submit a set of images AND build plans for build events. There must be at least 3 images. They can be CAD or actual images.
You may submit a building guide for build events, like Aia’s Boomilever Guide. Guides must also be a minimum of 7,500 words.
All resources must be homemade.
For a list of events, please see this document.

3. Check the Test Exchange to find examples of tests that have been submitted by other users in the past. Many of the tests titled “[Username]’s [Event Name] Practice Test 2014 are ones that were submitted to last year’s SSSS.

4.You email your resource to [email protected]. The email should be titled [Your scioly.org username]’s [Name of Event] [Type of Resource: test, notes, plans, or guide]. For example, “Mnstrviola’s Experimental Design Test”. The file(s) should be attached to the email, preferably in PDF format.

5.The moderators will look over the resource. If they are approved, you will be added under the SSSS usergroup. We will reply to the email with instructions on accessing the SSSS forums and database. If they are not approved, we will reply to the email with suggestions on issues and/or improvement. You should be contacted in under 3 days, 5 tops! If not, please contact us further. When responding to an email, please click REPLY TO ALL.

6. Once accepted, you can then access the files through scioly.org on your logged-in account.

SSSS will end sometime in August. The resources will all be added to the scioly.org wiki and Test Exchange unless the user requests otherwise. You must tell us beforehand if you do not wish to have your notes and/or tests uploaded publicly.

Have any questions or comments? You can respond to this post, private message mnstrviola or foreverphysics, or email the mods at [email protected].

Note: The SSSS is not a tournament. It is not meant to be a competitive event, but an unofficial study event to practice for the upcoming Science Olympiad season.
are those events listed official? also, if we are making tests for lab events like chem lab, are we allowed to ignore the lab part and only making the writing part, or we still needs to include it
Scioly <3
cifutielu
State: IL

Post by cifutielu »

alwaysmatts wrote:
foreverphysics wrote:With the close of this year’s National tournament, many of us eagerly anticipate the new events being put into rotation for next year, but face the long summer months in between the 2014 and 2015 seasons. Yet save those tears, members of scioly.org- our second annual Science Olympiad Study Session (SSSS) has just begun!

This event will be run very similarly to last year’s. You submit a resource, listed below, for one of the events scheduled for the 2014-2015 season. Once it is approved by an SSSS moderator, you gain access to all other resources submitted to SSSS! The resources are yours to use, but we ask that they are not shared with other people (including teammates) not in SSSS. Around August, when SSSS ends, these resources are uploaded to the wiki, test exchange, and image gallery.
Over sixty people participated in SSSS last year; let’s see if we can beat that this year! Science Olympiad Study Session is a great way to get a head start towards the next season and explore the new events as well as brush up on ones continuing their rotation. Interested? Here are the logistics of participating in SSSS in detail:

1.Make a forum account if you don’t have one yet. Due to logistical reasons we can only add users who are members of scioly.org

2.There are multiple ways to get involved.
You can make a test and answer key. This must be tournament quality and length.
You may submit notes for an event scheduled for 2015. The notes must be similarly extensive and at least 7,500 words long.
You may submit a set of images AND build plans for build events. There must be at least 3 images. They can be CAD or actual images.
You may submit a building guide for build events, like Aia’s Boomilever Guide. Guides must also be a minimum of 7,500 words.
All resources must be homemade.

3. Check the Test Exchange to find examples of tests that have been submitted by other users in the past. Many of the tests titled “[Username]’s [Event Name] Practice Test 2014 are ones that were submitted to last year’s SSSS.

4.You email your resource to [email protected]. The email should be titled [Your scioly.org username]’s [Name of Event] [Type of Resource: test, notes, plans, or guide]. For example, “Mnstrviola’s Experimental Design Test”. The file(s) should be attached to the email, preferably in PDF format.

5.The moderators will look over the resource. If they are approved, you will be added under the SSSS usergroup. We will reply to the email with instructions on accessing the SSSS forums and database. If they are not approved, we will reply to the email with suggestions on issues and/or improvement. You should be contacted in under 3 days, 5 tops! If not, please contact us further. When responding to an email, please click REPLY TO ALL.

6. Once accepted, you can then access the files through scioly.org on your logged-in account.

SSSS will end sometime in August. The resources will all be added to the scioly.org wiki and Test Exchange unless the user requests otherwise. You must tell us beforehand if you do not wish to have your notes and/or tests uploaded publicly.

Have any questions or comments? You can respond to this post, private message mnstrviola or foreverphysics, or email the mods at [email protected].

Note: The SSSS is not a tournament. It is not meant to be a competitive event, but an unofficial study event to practice for the upcoming Science Olympiad season.
are those events listed official? also, if we are making tests for lab events like chem lab, are we allowed to ignore the lab part and only making the writing part, or we still needs to include it
I heard it's pretty much set except for Trajectory and It's About Time.
foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

alwaysmatts wrote:also, if we are making tests for lab events like chem lab, are we allowed to ignore the lab part and only making the writing part, or we still needs to include it
It would be preferable if you did include a possible lab to do, along with whatever questions accompany it.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker »

cifutielu wrote: I heard it's pretty much set except for Trajectory and It's About Time.
You heard wrong;)

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair
DoctaDave
State: CA

Post by DoctaDave »

If we write a test or notes, would the information have to go up to the national level? Or can we just provide information for the state and regional levels?

Also, by notes you mean bullet notes that you would just take normally when studying right?
cifutielu
State: IL

Post by cifutielu »

chalker wrote:
cifutielu wrote: I heard it's pretty much set except for Trajectory and It's About Time.
You heard wrong;)
:O
Unome
State: GA

Post by Unome »

I might actually do one for Simple Machines if I have time.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
sunshinez
Division: B
State: PA

Post by sunshinez »

This sounds like a really great idea. I might do it during my loads of time during the summer that would be otherwise spent doing something less productive (I mean, what could be more productive than studying for science olympiad, right?) Anyways, I just have one question. Since a lot of the events (for division B) are going to be new for next year, am I allowed to make a set of notes or a test for a new event that I know somewhat about? Because there's this one event...
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

sunshinez wrote:This sounds like a really great idea. I might do it during my loads of time during the summer that would be otherwise spent doing something less productive (I mean, what could be more productive than studying for science olympiad, right?) Anyways, I just have one question. Since a lot of the events (for division B) are going to be new for next year, am I allowed to make a set of notes or a test for a new event that I know somewhat about? Because there's this one event...
You are indeed allowed.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

I had a gigantic list of practice words for picture this, a meteorology test, and a metric unit conversion practice test saved on a flash drive, and it broke...

Return to “SSSS & SEC”