Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

foreverphysics
Division: Grad
State: AL
Has thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

Post by foreverphysics »

windu34 wrote:When do all the tests and materials become public?
After site rollover, probably within a week or so.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
John Richardsim
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim »

Oh, hey, it's the 1st of September already. Well, I guess that's the end of this round of SSSS. Big thanks out to those who contributed and helped out with SSSS this year.
syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro »

John Richardsim wrote:Oh, hey, it's the 1st of September already. Well, I guess that's the end of this round of SSSS. Big thanks out to those who contributed and helped out with SSSS this year.
No, John. I would like to thank the mods, for their continued effort despite having other crap to do probably during the summer, the users, for submitting and sharing various awesome notes and tests, the admins, for letting us do this on their site (like they had a choice, haha!), and...the academy? No, but really thanks everyone :).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteo, Phys Sci Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Grav Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astro
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)
foreverphysics
State: AL

Post by foreverphysics »

Ah, September 2nd. Another season of SSSS come and gone.
Well, I just want to say--thank you to everyone. We had more submissions than we had ever previously had (which actually meant we were sort of understaffed this summer, apologies to all who felt the effects of that), but that's all good!

We have a lot of new plans for next year already--ways that we can improve, including the aesthetic look (yes, we're aware of the ugly text and cutting off) and the behind-the-scenes work (again, actually understaffed this year).

So, without further ado, meet your staff team for SSSS 2015:
foreverphysics: me! I do a lot of the admin stuff, running stuff in the background, and of course I mod events.
mnstrviola: my partner in crime. Nothing would happen without him. You should all go thank him profusely.
syo_astro: he's the PR. He responds, he's nice, and he does admin stuff for me when I can't do it. He's also probably the toughest grader out of all of us.
Maple6: this guy, man. There are no words to describe his unbelievable expertise. He's the bio king.
serotoned: the bio queen to Maple6's bio king. Also possibly the nicest out of all of us.
balsa: he does the, well, balsa events. If you ever need anything coding or balsa related, he's your man.
blakinator8: all the other builds, because this guy is a helluva engineer.
Crazy Puny Man: the chem master. He's short, vulgar, hilarious, and 100% brilliant.
varuncs11: Ecology. ID. Hydrodynamics. He does it all, and he's pigeon good at it too.

I feel incredibly fortunate to work with such an incredible team this year--a team so good it was actually kind of intimidating assigning jobs to them. In any case, they have done an amazing job.

Of course, thanks to all who submitted, because this wouldn't work without you. Thank you even more to those that took our (sometimes very nitpicky) comments and corrections, and thank you even more for understanding how busy we all are (four or five of us traveled internationally for extended periods of time this summer). I can't express enough how glad I am that this exists and is continuing to grow, year by year.

So tell all your friends about SSSS for next year, and we look forward to doing this again!

Special thanks to: AlphaTauri, bernard, and of course, robotman.
Physics is difficult for 99% of the world's population because they don't understand it. The other 1% know too much.

"Physics is a psychiatrist?"
mnstrviola
State: CA
Been thanked: 0

Post by mnstrviola »

Yes, this has been an awesome year for SSSS! Not only did we get a record number of submissions, but the quality of the resources were the best to date. The notes were all concise and thorough, and the tests were better than most I have encountered at state tournaments. :mrgreen:

That being said, I understand some users were frustrated with the higher standards we had for submissions this year. I believe we initially rejected over half of the submissions. While most users revised their test/notes and were eventually accepted, others understandably were unable to do so. We were dismayed at having to turn down stellar submissions that needed just a few tweaks or corrections, and we apologize for the harsher standards. The fault is our own, and next year we will establish a better balance between ensuring submissions are well-written and allowing for as many users as possible to participate.

Many of these submissions that were rejected for minor reasons could still be extremely helpful to scioly competitors looking to get a grip on the new events. Thus, we would still like to upload some of the rejected submissions to the scioly.org test exchange and wiki. It would be a shame for practice tests and notes to go to waste. As we didn't expect to reject so many quality submissions, we did not ask in advance for permission to upload rejected submissions. So if your submission has been rejected and you are uncomfortable with having it uploaded, please PM/email either foreverphysics ([email protected]) or me ([email protected]) by this Wednesday 9/9. Again, we apologize for the inconveniences experienced by this issue.

Approved submission or not, I'd like to extend a huge thank you to everyone who participated in SSSS. I am thrilled we will be able to add so many resources to scioly.org this year. Here's to a great 2015-2016 season! :)

Return to “SSSS & SEC”