Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

InfiniCuber
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2015

Post by InfiniCuber » May 26th, 2015, 11:14 am

Are we allowed to send something for a different division? For example send a guide for a division B event even if we are in division C and still get in?
Scioly isn't a club, or an organization. It is a lifestyle.
~Munster High School Science Olympiad Captain 2016~

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: Grad
State: NY

Post by syo_astro » May 26th, 2015, 11:35 am

InfiniCuber wrote:Are we allowed to send something for a different division? For example send a guide for a division B event even if we are in division C and still get in?
I don't see why not as long as we can approve it, is about a relevant event, follows file format (if you can save as PDF...which you really should be able to), etc. I would like to say if it's something someone else made please we trust you won't send that in and will do your own work (seems random, but I like to throw in random precautions). Also, yes, if you copy it off wiki/test exchange/something from the past likely the reviewer will know :P (at least I will).
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

yciao
State: UT

Post by yciao » May 29th, 2015, 9:44 am

EDIT: I found the trial event rules from 2013 and its list. Should I just base my practice test off of the 2013 list?

--

Let's say I want to make a quick practice test for an event such as Invasive Species. Where would I find a list of the potential organisms that may or may not appear on the examination for the event? Very excited to participate in SSSS this year! :)
Current Events: Entomology // Geologic Mapping // Fossils

2011 Ornithology // Fossils // Optics
2012: Water Quality // Forestry
2013: Water Quality // Forestry
2014: Water Quality // Entomology // Geologic Mapping

C Division Varsity Captain. Ask me anything about the events I've done! :D

John Richardsim
Wiki Moderator
Wiki Moderator
State: MI

Post by John Richardsim » May 29th, 2015, 10:20 am

yciao wrote:EDIT: I found the trial event rules from 2013 and its list. Should I just base my practice test off of the 2013 list?
Yes, use the 2013 national trial list (it is probably the closest available option to what the official list will be for next season). I would imagine that there would only minor changes to that trial list for the official list.
Si Quaeris Peninsulam Amoenam Circumspice

samlan16
State: TN

Post by samlan16 » May 29th, 2015, 12:24 pm

For easier tests to write like ExpD or WIDI, would you want multiple tests made, or would you prefer only one?
Remember, we are proud of every team that participated and you are all winners.

Miske

Post by Miske » May 29th, 2015, 7:05 pm

For say, Air Trajectory an image set and build plans are requested to have an application accepted. I understand how to submit an image set of all relevant materials in my application email. Would build plans just consist on how I put together my device step by step and where I got my materials?
Events I've Been In: Disease Detectives, Technical Problem Solving, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Mission Possible, Air Trajectory, Robot Arm, Experimental Design, etc.

Miske

Post by Miske » May 29th, 2015, 7:17 pm

If multiple things are going to be submitted should they be lumped together? Like something for Air Trajectory and something for robot arm?
Events I've Been In: Disease Detectives, Technical Problem Solving, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Mission Possible, Air Trajectory, Robot Arm, Experimental Design, etc.

mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA

Post by mnstrviola » May 29th, 2015, 8:22 pm

samlan16 wrote:For easier tests to write like ExpD or WIDI, would you want multiple tests made, or would you prefer only one?
Umm multiple tests should be made for those, yeah. Maybe 2 WIDIs with really detailed pictures and grading process etc. I can't give you a definite number because it depends on the quality of the submission but you should be spending about the same amount of time as someone who wrote a test for, say, Dynamic Planet.
Miske wrote:For say, Air Trajectory an image set and build plans are requested to have an application accepted. I understand how to submit an image set of all relevant materials in my application email. Would build plans just consist on how I put together my device step by step and where I got my materials?
Sounds good! Try to be as detailed and helpful as possible would be the rule of thumb, so include anything you think would help make the reader understand your design and maybe come up with their own.
Miske wrote:If multiple things are going to be submitted should they be lumped together? Like something for Air Trajectory and something for robot arm?
Send them in the same email but as separate files.

syo_astro
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NY

Post by syo_astro » May 29th, 2015, 8:32 pm

Sorry to not get back to questions fast enough (busy week). Bright side is Monday you can start submitting your beautiful SSSS works! Note, you have time after that...no rush, unless you have no time the entire summer (let's assume you have time).

I would agree on John's response yciao, we cannot provide rules/do not have them for next year. The best thing to do is just to dig up past rules and judge accordingly. When you send it in, if it is not relevant enough, missing key parts to the event, formatted poorly, etc, a mod should get back to you as forever stated in the first post on this topic. Good to get ideas for the tests of course!

To Miske. People typically only give us one submission, but if you'd like to give us two go for it (there really is not a limit on how much you can submit). Send it in one email and just put both events in the title along with associated format (eg. Miske's Air Trajectory and Robot Arm build plans or something, could do Air Trajectory build plans and Robot Arm build plans...as long as it's explicit enough, try to distinguish the type of materials you're sending). I would say yes, build plans are basically like a materials list and associated steps, so someone else could understand and build something you made. Think engineering and mass production. You don't need to write a novel, but you need to write a "recipe", which should a balance in details.

Edit: Apparently mnstr just suddenly posted...deleted something I said on WIDI/ExpD, but I'll keep what I said to the other two qs.
B: Crave the Wave, Environmental Chemistry, Robo-Cross, Meteorology, Physical Science Lab, Solar System, DyPlan (E and V), Shock Value
C: Microbe Mission, DyPlan (Earth's Fresh Waters), Fermi Questions, GeoMaps, Gravity Vehicle, Scrambler, Rocks, Astronomy
Grad: Writing Tests/Supervising (NY/MI)

yciao
State: UT

Post by yciao » May 30th, 2015, 2:35 pm

One last question - Invasive Species is confirmed as an event for 2016, right? I was planning on making a full glossary for myself as a supplement to the practice test, but I don't want to create it for an event that won't be there for sure.
Current Events: Entomology // Geologic Mapping // Fossils

2011 Ornithology // Fossils // Optics
2012: Water Quality // Forestry
2013: Water Quality // Forestry
2014: Water Quality // Entomology // Geologic Mapping

C Division Varsity Captain. Ask me anything about the events I've done! :D

Return to “SSSS & SMEC”