Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Detector Building C

Post by bernard »

These users thanked the author bernard for the post:
carlos (September 24th, 2021, 12:17 am)
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
BasuSiddha23
Division: Grad
State: PA
Been thanked: 0

Re: Detector Building C

Post by BasuSiddha23 »

Is there any other way to measure conductivity that the event rules permit other than just placing two metal probes in the solution? There's also electromagnetic induction using coils in the water, but that might not be plausible. The conductivity measuring system with two metal probes conducting electricity might not be precise enough when trying to measure 0-5000 PPM.
Eagle View MS (2017-2019)
Cumberland Valley HS (2019-present)
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

BasuSiddha23 wrote: September 30th, 2021, 1:08 pm The conductivity measuring system with two metal probes conducting electricity might not be precise enough when trying to measure 0-5000 PPM.
The rules seem to be somewhat ambiguous about whether you're allowed to have your microcontroller switch between different components to get different sub-ranges to cover this range with greater accuracy. It's not explicitly forbidden, except there are a couple of places where the rules talk about "the resistor" that implies that you have only one.
HCarroll2024
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0

Post by HCarroll2024 »

So, is sending voltage through water and measuring the resistance permitted. Also, are there any ways that anybody else is using that would also work. I’m trying to figure out how to measure te salinity.
HCarroll2024
Division: C
State: IN
Has thanked: 0

Post by HCarroll2024 »

Is the state competition for Indians SciOly detector going to be run like the national invitational. The samples were made by diluting a 0.9% solution. At every other competition, the samples were messed up, so I was wondering how it was going to be controlled at Indiana scioly state.
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

HCarroll2024 wrote: February 24th, 2022, 5:28 am Is the state competition for Indians SciOly detector going to be run like the national invitational. The samples were made by diluting a 0.9% solution. At every other competition, the samples were messed up, so I was wondering how it was going to be controlled at Indiana scioly state.
If you want a real answer, have your coach ask the Indiana state organization. If they choose to answer, they will broadcast a message to all teams (so that everyone has the same information).

I would guess, however, that most ES will make up the solutions by dissolving table salt in distilled water rather than by starting with normal saline.

How "messed up" have you usually found the samples to be?

Return to “Detector Building C”