bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Division: Grad
State: WA
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by bernard »

"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Janelio
Division: C
State: NY
Pronouns: She/Her/Hers
Been thanked: 0

Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by Janelio »

Does anyone have any recommendations for a launcher kit for ping pong parachute? Any pricing is okay right now, but the more money saved the better! Thanks in advance :)
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Re: Ping Pong Parachute B/C

Post by CookiePie1 »

Janelio wrote: November 8th, 2021, 11:28 am Does anyone have any recommendations for a launcher kit for ping pong parachute? Any pricing is okay right now, but the more money saved the better! Thanks in advance :)
Some people do well with DIY launchers, of which there are plenty on the internet. The Nerds Inc Model Z was made specifically for scioly use, so check that out, but it is on the more expensive side. People also will buy those kids rocket launchers on the internet, but keep in mind that many of them are meant to be used with water rockets, not air rockets. Make sure that you have a good pressure guage somewhere in the system.
These users thanked the author CookiePie1 for the post (total 2):
Janelio (November 19th, 2021, 4:05 am) • drcubbin (January 30th, 2022, 3:35 pm)
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
SciO
Has thanked: 0

Post by SciO »

Is it okay for the three bottles to weigh different ounces or should they all be the same?
CookiePie1
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ

Post by CookiePie1 »

SciO wrote: November 16th, 2021, 3:55 pm Is it okay for the three bottles to weigh different ounces or should they all be the same?
First, we are measuring the volume of the soda bottles, not their weight. If you wish for your three rockets to be made of different bottles, providing that they fit within all of the parameters, it is ok.
South Brunswick High School Captain '22
2020 Events: Protein Modeling, Ping Pong Parachute, Wright Stuff, Sounds of Music
2021 Events: Protein Modeling, Sounds of Music, Ornithology
2022 Events: TBD

Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.
-Albert Einstein
cpagan
State: NY

Post by cpagan »

Teams must provide "up to three rockets, three unaltered ping-pong balls and three student made parachutes". Does the "up-to-three" apply to everything, or just the rockets??
In other words, can we bring 2 of everything, or do we have to bring THREE balls and parachutes regardless of the # of rockets we bring?
Sounds silly, I know, just want to be sure....
jgrischow1
Division: B
State: OH

Post by jgrischow1 »

cpagan wrote: December 15th, 2021, 11:50 am Teams must provide "up to three rockets, three unaltered ping-pong balls and three student made parachutes". Does the "up-to-three" apply to everything, or just the rockets??
In other words, can we bring 2 of everything, or do we have to bring THREE balls and parachutes regardless of the # of rockets we bring?
Everything.
Pebble
Division: B
State: MD

Post by Pebble »

jgrischow1 wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:17 am
cpagan wrote: December 15th, 2021, 11:50 am Teams must provide "up to three rockets, three unaltered ping-pong balls and three student made parachutes". Does the "up-to-three" apply to everything, or just the rockets??
Everything.
For one of the competitions attended, they apparently interpreted it as up to 3 rockets, but you need three ping pong balls and parachutes. Since we were filming it instead of doing it at the actual competition site, we just put some parachutes we didn't use in the video. All of the other competitions I've been to have not required you to have 3 balls and parachutes. I suppose if you really wanted to be safe you could just rush some parachutes and enter those as the other two.
ok
knightmoves

Post by knightmoves »

Pebble wrote: January 29th, 2022, 2:26 pm
jgrischow1 wrote: December 16th, 2021, 7:17 am
Everything.
For one of the competitions attended, they apparently interpreted it as up to 3 rockets, but you need three ping pong balls and parachutes. Since we were filming it instead of doing it at the actual competition site, we just put some parachutes we didn't use in the video. All of the other competitions I've been to have not required you to have 3 balls and parachutes. I suppose if you really wanted to be safe you could just rush some parachutes and enter those as the other two.
Oh dear. That's clearly a silly interpretation on behalf of that ES, but these things do happen sometimes. Requiring teams to bring three things when they only need one thing to compete is completely against the spirit of the rules.

Return to “Ping Pong Parachute B/C”