Science Olympiad 2012

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
haverstall
Division: Grad
State: MN
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Science Olympiad 2012

Post by haverstall » May 14th, 2012, 2:13 pm

AlphaTauri wrote: Trust me, by this time next year, you're going to be wondering how you ever thought Sounds was something to look forward to. No event that I've ever done has made me want to bang my head against a wall...then I did Sounds for two years.
At least you didn't do Mission. There's a few times when I wanted to cry during that event. SO MUCH FRUSTRATION. But I guess it worked out in the end.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Helicase
Division: C
State: ID

Post by Helicase » May 22nd, 2012, 9:25 am

Designer Genes and Material science!! Woohoo! Something I'm actually interested in! Glider also sounds fun. I may also do Fermi questions again- didn't do too bad next year (just gotta know random facts).

Xelnyn
State: FL

Post by Xelnyn » May 23rd, 2012, 8:02 am

I have a small question, For Circuit Lab. Is it just a study event? Or does it include a building component.

Schrodingerscat
Administrator
Administrator
State: KS
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Schrodingerscat » May 23rd, 2012, 8:23 am

Xelnyn wrote:I have a small question, For Circuit Lab. Is it just a study event? Or does it include a building component.
I believe that is is generally a lab event where it always contains a test, but occasionally you will have lab stations where you might have to build a circuit or use measurement equipment on a pre-built one as part of your calculations.

Xelnyn
State: FL

Post by Xelnyn » May 23rd, 2012, 8:34 am

Schrodingerscat wrote:
Xelnyn wrote:I have a small question, For Circuit Lab. Is it just a study event? Or does it include a building component.
I believe that is is generally a lab event where it always contains a test, but occasionally you will have lab stations where you might have to build a circuit or use measurement equipment on a pre-built one as part of your calculations.
I see.
Thanks a lot. I was a bit worried over it. But from what I've read on it, it seems very similar to some parts of AP Physics C Electricity and Magnetism which I'm taking next year.

knittingfrenzy18
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
Division: B
State: MD

Post by knittingfrenzy18 » May 24th, 2012, 3:48 pm

haverstall wrote:
AlphaTauri wrote: Trust me, by this time next year, you're going to be wondering how you ever thought Sounds was something to look forward to. No event that I've ever done has made me want to bang my head against a wall...then I did Sounds for two years.
At least you didn't do Mission. There's a few times when I wanted to cry during that event. SO MUCH FRUSTRATION. But I guess it worked out in the end.
yes, yes. you didn't do Mission. listen to wise ol' haverstall, my friend.

Okay, I've been warned! However I will jump into Sounds next year. :D
Pilgrimage Homeschool Division B, Maryland
Visited 2012 and 2014 National Tournaments, 5th place Sounds of Music 2014
http://knittingfrenzy18.wordpress.com

TheSilence
Division: B
State: NC

Post by TheSilence » May 24th, 2012, 3:50 pm

Xelnyn wrote:
Schrodingerscat wrote:
I see.
Thanks a lot. I was a bit worried over it. But from what I've read on it, it seems very similar to some parts of AP Physics C Electricity and Magnetism which I'm taking next year.
Well in NC they had something similar called Shock Value. It was pretty terrible for us. The event supervisors gave us around 12 minutes per station. 2 were theoretical tests ranging from magnetism formulas, right hand rules all the way to ohms law. Then some matching stuff.Now that was the easy part. Then the other two stations were lab work. I think one station had 6 resistors or more that you had to wire up in three different configurations. Then measure current across each one using a multi-meter and find voltage across each one.We didn't have enough time to measure each one after trying to analyze the slightly confuzzling circuit diagrams they wanted us to build. So after finding the voltage across the points I just had to manually calculate the current using Ohm's law. In the end the first station was approximately 2/3 blank with us only completing the A part and leaving B and C empty. The third station was also a lab staion but much easier. Three resistors and one battery. This time we just abandoned the multi meter and only used it for finding the voltage across each resistor. We got that sheet done at least. Surprisingly we placed third at states. Hope this helps so you can idea of what it might be like. Hopefully circuit lab will be very similar.

chalker
State: OH

Post by chalker » May 24th, 2012, 7:50 pm

Now that the clock is officially ticking for Nationals at Wright State University next year, I'd like to solicit some ideas regarding the opening ceremony. Specifically any suggestions on who we should consider having as a key note speaker? (We have some ideas internally we are bouncing around, but thought it would be interesting to see what you all might suggest). Any other suggestions regarding the ceremony or tournament in general?

Student Alumni
National Event Supervisor
National Physical Sciences Rules Committee Chair

haverstall
State: MN

Post by haverstall » May 24th, 2012, 8:50 pm

What I really enjoyed about Madison, compared to UCF, was that Madison had a lot more entertainment value. Science demos were pretty good, and the band was amazing. I don't know about the quality of Wright State's marching band, but I think any type of entertainment involving real people would probably be better than Symphony of Science videos (despite the fact that they were really awesome.) As for the closing ceremonies, I felt background music during the awards ceremonies would be very nice. It just felt empty with no background music.
Mounds View Science Olympiad 2008-2012 || 6th, Remote Sensing, 2011 Nationals

Co-Tournament Coordinator of Gopher Science Olympiad Invitational
Co-Chair of Minnesota Science Olympiad Alumni

Infinity Flat
State: WA

Post by Infinity Flat » May 24th, 2012, 9:38 pm

chalker wrote:Now that the clock is officially ticking for Nationals at Wright State University next year, I'd like to solicit some ideas regarding the opening ceremony. Specifically any suggestions on who we should consider having as a key note speaker? (We have some ideas internally we are bouncing around, but thought it would be interesting to see what you all might suggest). Any other suggestions regarding the ceremony or tournament in general?
Any chance on Neil deGrasse Tyson?
(State, Nationals)
2013: Astro (2, 6) / Chem (2, 5) / Circuits (8, 36) / Diseases (1,1) / Fermi (N/A, 24) / Materials (1, N/A)
2012 : Astro (1, 11) / Chem (N/A, 13) / Diseases (3, 1) / Optics (2, 3) / Sounds (2, 1)
2011: Astro(2,11) / Diseases (1,27) / Optics (1,13) / Proteins (2,15)

Return to “General Competition”