Scioly Summer Study Session 2017

Unome
Division: Grad
State: GA

Re: Scioly Summer Study Session 2017

Post by Unome »

mnstrviola wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Piggy wrote:Wait what happened to the Dynamic Planet rotation? I thought they with changing to four year rotation with tectonics, glaciers, freshwater?, and oceans one year each. Why is it tectonics again next year?
I guess the decision not to switch to one-year-per-topic was made. Or at least not switching to it yet.
In the meantime, until either topic is announced definitely, SSSS will accept resources for either Dynamic Planet topic, tectonics or glaciers. But tectonics is preferred. It would be best to generate resources for the possibly "new" topic that might rotate in next year.

Also, unrelatedly, wow! "new" smileys that are probably not "new" new but new to me :o :shock: :mrgreen:
What constitutes "announced definitely"? The change occured here.
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
whythelongface
Exalted Member
Exalted Member
State: NJ
Been thanked: 0

Post by whythelongface »

mnstrviola wrote:
John Richardsim wrote:
Piggy wrote:Wait what happened to the Dynamic Planet rotation? I thought they with changing to four year rotation with tectonics, glaciers, freshwater?, and oceans one year each. Why is it tectonics again next year?
I guess the decision not to switch to one-year-per-topic was made. Or at least not switching to it yet.
In the meantime, until either topic is announced definitely, SSSS will accept resources for either Dynamic Planet topic, tectonics or glaciers. But tectonics is preferred. It would be best to generate resources for the possibly "new" topic that might rotate in next year.

Also, unrelatedly, wow! "new" smileys that are probably not "new" new but new to me :o :shock: :mrgreen:
So will you be taking Climate Change Processes for the Remote Sensing topic?
WEST WINDSOR-PLAINSBORO HIGH SCHOOL SOUTH '18
EMORY UNIVERSITY '22
SONT 2017 5th Place Medalist [Microbe Mission]

"One little Sciolyer left all alone,
He went out and hanged himself and then there were none."

Congratulations to WW-P South/Grover for winning 2nd/1st place at NJ States!
mnstrviola
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
Wiki/Gallery Moderator Emeritus
State: CA
Has thanked: 0

Post by mnstrviola »

Unome wrote:
mnstrviola wrote:
John Richardsim wrote: I guess the decision not to switch to one-year-per-topic was made. Or at least not switching to it yet.

What constitutes "announced definitely"? The change occured here.
Yep my bad, I misunderstood the situation. We will only accept for tectonics, and I will have that reflected on our Google Doc. Thanks!
Random Human
Division: C

Post by Random Human »

How many test usually end up on SSSS by the end of the the session? Just wondering...
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Unome

Post by Unome »

Random Human wrote:How many test usually end up on SSSS by the end of the the session? Just wondering...
In the range of 20 or so total - at some point I'll count them. It tends to increase every year.

Edit: I counted, there were 17 approved submissions from last year. That means there were likely around 50 total submissions (guesstimate).
Userpage

Opinions expressed on this site are not official; the only place for official rules changes and FAQs is soinc.org.
Zioly
Division: B
State: WA

Post by Zioly »

Unome wrote:
Random Human wrote:How many test usually end up on SSSS by the end of the the session? Just wondering...
In the range of 20 or so total - at some point I'll count them. It tends to increase every year.

Edit: I counted, there were 17 approved submissions from last year. That means there were likely around 50 total submissions (guesstimate).
Sorry if this has already been said (it's getting kinda late here, I have a 9 am econ lecture tomorrow, and I wanted to post before I went to sleep), but...

will people with approved submissions have access to all submissions, accepted or not, or just the approved ones? If the situation is the latter, would it be possible to gain access to the unapproved ones as well?
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
bernard
Administrator
Administrator
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by bernard »

Zioly wrote:
Unome wrote:

Sorry if this has already been said (it's getting kinda late here, I have a 9 am econ lecture tomorrow, and I wanted to post before I went to sleep), but...

will people with approved submissions have access to all submissions, accepted or not, or just the approved ones? If the situation is the latter, would it be possible to gain access to the unapproved ones as well?
In past years unapproved submissions of decent quality have been released at the end of summer. It makes sense that unapproved submissions aren't released during the summer as it is expected the submitters are working to improve them for acceptance in a timely manner.
"One of the ways that I believe people express their appreciation to the rest of humanity is to make something wonderful and put it out there." – Steve Jobs
Random Human
Division: C

Post by Random Human »

I think it would be beneficial if unapproved submissions were released. That way obviously the people with access to the SSSS would have more material... and also, if the owner of the unapproved submission doesn't continue to work to improve it... someone can pick off where he/she left off so we could have extra tests. Even while people are working to improve their submission, I don't think it would hurt to upload what they have so far... it benefits the community as a whole.

Please consider,
Random Human
Random Human - Proud (former) Science Olympian. 2015-2017
Writer of Doers
Dynamic Planet
Breaker of Towers: 16-17 Season Peak Score - 3220
Len Joeris all the way. Remember Len.
Zioly
Division: B

Post by Zioly »

Random Human wrote:I think it would be beneficial if unapproved submissions were released. That way obviously the people with access to the SSSS would have more material... and also, if the owner of the unapproved submission doesn't continue to work to improve it... someone can pick off where he/she left off so we could have extra tests. Even while people are working to improve their submission, I don't think it would hurt to upload what they have so far... it benefits the community as a whole.

Please consider,
Random Human
Agreed. Writing tests (or in this case, finishing abandoned and half-baked ones) is a great way to study, and I'm 100% sure a few of my teammates who normally would not study over the summer would if this system were implemented.
Bottle Rockets: 5th
Ecology: 9th
Hovercraft: 14th
Scrambler: 29th (with a failed run too  ;))
Mousetrap Vehicle
Hovercraft
Ecology
Experimental Design (or other inquiry :P)

...Yes, my profile picture is G2 apEX at the PGL Major Qual.  :lol:
Unome

Post by Unome »

Random Human wrote:if the owner of the unapproved submission doesn't continue to work to improve it... someone can pick off where he/she left off so we could have extra tests.
This is an interesting idea.
Userpage

Return to “SSSS & SEC”