Tryouts vs Acceptance in Your School

For anything Science Olympiad-related that might not fall under a specific event or competition.
Tailsfan101
Division: Grad
State: ID

Re: Tryouts vs Acceptance in Your School

Post by Tailsfan101 »

EastStroudsburg13 wrote:...back in my day...
Now isn't still your day?
"Blessed are you when people insult you and persecute you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of Me. Rejoice and be glad, for your reward in heaven is great; for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you." Matthew 5:11-12

I have no regrets.
Snarknado
Division: C
State: WA
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Snarknado »

We don't cut people, and have around 60-70ish people (out of 400) spread over 5 teams, with the bottom two teams having some open spots, largely owing to poor event distribution.
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
Galahad
State: HI

Post by Galahad »

I see teams going into the hundreds and for us in Hawaii theres only 40 science olympiad members in all... at least we make nationals and medal hehe.

We attend California invitationals via travel with two teams of 15 each. We can't ever go to separate invitationals. In Hawaii we have only 3 invitationals, so we take everybody. 32 people are selected for regional based on effort and ability to contribute. (2 alts)
16 selected for state based on event performance and usefulness alone (1 alt)
Finally an alumnus!

Highlands Intermediate School '16-'19
Pearl City High School '19-'22
DMAH '18-'22
UC Irvine '26

https://scioly.org/wiki/index.php/User:Galahad
chikid

Post by chikid »

my school has so little people in science olympiad that we could barely make a team of 15 people for invitationals. we also have way less coaches than events.
alleycat03
State: KS

Post by alleycat03 »

At my school, we have approximately 75 people that go to the interest meeting out of about 2100 students in the school. Once practices start, we’re usually down to 60 people. Then, over the course of about 4 invitationals, our team gets whittled down to about 30 people because people quit or have too many conflicts, etc. Before regionals, my coach makes a list of everyone who will be on the regionals/state team and assigns events based on performance at invitationals. We usually keep the same team from regionals when we attend state, but a few people might change. We go from 15 regular team members and 3-4 alternates at regionals to 15 team members and 1-2 alternates at state.
Olathe North Science Olympiad
Class of 2018
Forensics, Herpetology, Ecology, and Mousetrap Vehicle
Anika57

Post by Anika57 »

We don't have tryouts but my school is quite small. Instead people join and we work with what we have. We usually have a regular and an alternate team but this year there were enough 6th graders that joined so we have
Regular (7th and 8th graders who were dedicated the year before)
Alternate (all other 7th & 8th graders)
Alternate 6th Grade (all 6th graders)

I'm on regular and in 7th grade
If at first you don't succeed, try twice more so that your failure is statistically significant.
Anika57

Post by Anika57 »

Snarknado wrote:We don't cut people, and have around 60-70ish people (out of 400) spread over 5 teams, with the bottom two teams having some open spots, largely owing to poor event distribution.
Thats exactly what my team does. How many of those teams are competitive?
If at first you don't succeed, try twice more so that your failure is statistically significant.
Snarknado
State: WA

Post by Snarknado »

Anika57 wrote:
Snarknado wrote:We don't cut people, and have around 60-70ish people (out of 400) spread over 5 teams, with the bottom two teams having some open spots, largely owing to poor event distribution.
Thats exactly what my team does. How many of those teams are competitive?
It's abit unbalanced, but our top 3 teams usually qualify for state although we can only bring two. The bottom two are often rendered noncompetitive due to missing people/events unfortunately though. As far as a lot of people on this forums are concerned though, perhaps not a ton? We placed 4th in WA last year, and I'm hoping we do better this year, but we've never been to nationals or any of the major invitationals like MIT or Mira Loma, although we're improving and will probably go next year, after I'm gone... :roll:
Raisbeck Aviation High School Wiki
Snarknado's Userpage
"All we can do now is pray to Hot Glue Cthulu"
Benewcomb
State: IN
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Post by Benewcomb »

We don’t even have tryouts. People just randomly pop in and ask if they can join. There’s about 13-17 of us.
love you <3
primitivepolonium
State: CA

Post by primitivepolonium »

Troy alum here. Of course, the nature of Troy SciOly and the nature of team selection has changed greatly since I left. My numbers and information will not be up to date.

When I was in school, about 110 students would try out every year for all the events. Well, almost all the events. There were events that we did not hold tryouts for, because they would be too tricky to grade, or something that could easily be put together after a cohesive team was created. For instance, we never had tryouts for Ex. Design: say a team of 3 tried out for XPD and won XPD but did nothing else but XPD. Obviously, having them on the team would be a waste of valuable team slots. We also didn't have tryouts for things like Game On, and only three years ago started WIDI tryouts.

Anyway, I digress. The number of students trying out for SciOly has surely risen since my time, but usually we had 110 or so people (out of a student population of 2600). At Troy, half the population doesn't care about academics, and of the other half, many people think that it's really hard to get onto SciOly and that studying for it in any way was futile, so we didn't get as many people as expected. Events like Anatomy or Fermi would have 10-15 people trying out for them, while Remote Sensing might only have 1 person.

Back before my day, we selected about 15 students for the actual team and picked out 2 or 3 more people to invite to practices. The latter would usually become alternates, and then groomed to become A team members. In later years, a B team was created, so anywhere from 20-30 people were selected. It was hard to fill the B team (Troy right now only has 12 people on their "B" team--air quotes because the teams are supposedly "unstacked"). A lot of people would have been interested, but you really can't fit 6 people who all got 40% on the A&P tryout exam on 1 team.

Usually, if you got 1st in an event, you had a solid chance of getting onto a team (unless you were the only one who tried out for Remote Sensing and didn't even do that well). If you only did that one event, and there were other people who also did that event (and more), then you probably got shuffled onto the "B" team and told to study Remote Sensing or something nobody was doing. So yeah, that comes to about ~30 people who scored well or just did a lot of events quite well.

Return to “General Competition”